Up Holland has a long history. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book and there are thought to be Roman connections. There was a medieval monastery and a priory was established in the 14th century. In the 17th century Up Holland Grammar School was established.
The areas religious connections were further enhanced when the Wesleyan Chapel and school on School Lane was built in 1849, St. Joseph's seminary was built in the late 19th century and a Carmelite convent established in 1917.
Abbey Lakes, which has recently had environmental works carried out with a grant from the Local Heritage Initiative, was a very popular local attraction in the late 19th and early 20th century.
The area was important enough to have a railway station built in the mid 1800's.
The population of Up Holland in 1880 was 4,384 and the area had built up a number of industries including farming, coal mining, quarrying and brickworks, of which only the brickworks on Chequer Lane remains as a major employer (with a very much reduced workforce). The last coal mine in Up Holland closed in 1939.
The older historic area around St Thomas the Martyr parish church is now designated as a conservation area and the present township is centred on Hall Green and Ormskirk Road, with the library, post office, dentists, doctor's surgery and shops. Many new houses have been built since the 1960's.
There is a good daytime bus service to Wigan, Skelmersdale, Ormskirk and even Southport, for people living close to the A577 which runs through Up Holland.
Up Holland is home to the Carmelite Mona...
Interested in building this community? Click here to earn by running this franchise.