Yaxley Residents Association

<< 1 2 3 >>

vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
Re: Yaxley Residents Association
15th July 2010 at 3:24AM
Another article printed in the ET 14/07

CONTROVERSIAL plans to place new travellers’ sites in Farcet and Yaxley are to be re-considered following a U-turn by Huntingdonshire District Council.

Proposals for 17 new permanent gypsy and travellers’ sites, including in Straight Drove and on the corner of King’s Delph Drove and Straight Drove in Farcet, had provoked fury among residents concerned about how it would cause crime and anti-social behaviour to increase and house prices to fall.

The council had said it would not re-evaluate the plans – despite the opposition and after the Government said councils should form their own proposals and revoked the Regional Spatial Strategy which had set out the locations and number of travellers’ sites that needed to be built by 2021.

But yesterday the council made a U-turn after planning officers met with Shailesh Vara, MP for North West Cambridgeshire.

A council spokesman said: “Following these discussions it was agreed that no predetermined number of sites will be taken forward; the views of residents will be fully taken into account; the council will pause to fully evaluate responses and reassess the current position in line with other local authorities who have already decided that none of the current allocated sites would be taken forward.”

The news has been welcomed by Mr Vara who said he was delighted that residents had made their voices heard.

He said: “I welcome this new position from the council and I’m pleased that the Regional Spatial Strategy will be scrapped following the lead of other local councils.

“I asked for and have received from the council an assurance that there will be a genuine and proper consultation, fully taking on board the views of the local community.

“This is crucial. People have spoken in their thousands and I am pleased that their voices have been heard.

“They have made it clear that communities come before quotas.”

Ward councillor for Yaxley and Farcet, Eric Butler added: “This is a step in the right direction. I am sure that some of the sites will still go ahead, but not all of them. It will ease the pressure on the village.

“It is democracy in action and it is good news that residents are being listened to. But it is important that people continue to fill in their consultation forms, and do not get a false sense of security.”

The council’s public consultation about the sites runs until July 30. For more details visit http://consult.huntsdc.gov.uk/portal
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
jimmythecuckoo
Area Admin

jimmythecuckoo
5th January 2011 at 11:09AM
What happened to RAID ? Its website seems to have vanished?
vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
14th January 2011 at 6:50AM, Edit: 14th January 2011 at 6:50AM by vwsambaman
jimmythecuckoo Wrote:

What happened to RAID ? Its website seems to have vanished?

It appears to have been taken down as the initial fuss over the Travellers site has died down although the issue has far from gone away.

I am under the impression that the "Yaxley Residents Association" has risen out of RAID although I may be wrong though!

Their email address is YaxleyResidentsAssociation@hotmail.co.uk although I have contacted them on a couple of ocassions but haven't received any acknowledgement as of yet.
vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
3rd February 2011 at 6:44AM, Edit: 3rd February 2011 at 6:44AM by vwsambaman
(/QUOTE)Their email address is YaxleyResidentsAssociation@hotmail.co.uk although I have contacted them on a couple of ocassions but haven't received any acknowledgement as of yet.[/QUOTE]

Well so much for a Residents Association!, I have contacted them several times and received no response bit like the Parish Council really. All I have seen of the Residents Association is a couple of lines in the Yaxley Gazette hardly inspirational.
goldilocks
Unverified

goldilocks
15th February 2011 at 11:11AM
The Parish Council should be doing this for the residents not a "Residents Association" Apparently it is run by a Yaxley councilllor who has had no authority from the council. What are we paying the Parish Council for? There is an election for parish councillors in May and I think we should all stand and get some people on the parish council who actually want to get Yaxley in a state where people like living here.
vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
16th February 2011 at 3:41AM
goldilocks Wrote:

The Parish Council should be doing this for the residents not a "Residents Association" Apparently it is run by a Yaxley councilllor who has had no authority from the council. What are we paying the Parish Council for? There is an election for parish councillors in May and I think we should all stand and get some people on the parish council who actually want to get Yaxley in a state where people like living here.

Is that so? now I know why the Cllr gets such coverage in the Yaxley Gazette! How do you know they don't have authority?

Yes you are right that there are Parish Council elections coming up in May where I think that all the Cllrs are up for re-election plus I believe the Parish Council are requiredd to have extra Cllr's due to new government legislation. I would like to think that these will be advertised properly and people actually come forward and stand for these positions I know I shall be putting my name into the hat as I for one would like to ensure that the residents of the village get proper representation, are included in discussions on future developments / facilities within the village and receive value for money where our taxes are concerned.

The only problem is actually getting people to stand for election because if new blood isn't bought onto the council then nothing will change and we will be stuck with the same old problems for the next four years.
justine
Area Admin

justine
28th February 2011 at 7:30AM, Edit: 28th February 2011 at 7:33AM by justine
The Yaxley Resident Association is not ran by a councillor it is independent, just like the Yaxley Gazette is. In the March issue of the Yaxley Gazette on page 10 is a readers letter asking the same questions that have been raised on here, also details on how to be on the Parish Council are on page 17. If you do have any comments let me know I am happy to print appropriate letters or comments in the Yaxley Gazette.

This post has been deleted by the author.

vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
14th March 2011 at 10:11AM
goldilocks Wrote:

So are you going to stand for council goldilocks?
vwsambaman
Forum Moderator

vwsambaman
6th April 2011 at 9:09AM
justine Wrote:

The Yaxley Resident Association is not ran by a councillor it is independent, just like the Yaxley Gazette is. In the March issue of the Yaxley Gazette on page 10 is a readers letter asking the same questions that have been raised on here, also details on how to be on the Parish Council are on page 17. If you do have any comments let me know I am happy to print appropriate letters or comments in the Yaxley Gazette.

It may well be independent we will never know, I have contacted them several times to find out information and to offer any assistance that I can but no response, so maybe it is run by someone on the Parish Council as they have a reluctance to respond to their parishioners too!!
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..