0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Torky skatepark damage

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
Re: Torky skatepark damage
18th June 2012 at 6:55PM
I think those hassling you/were unaware that it was funded by the friends of the park peeps! And since it's on a park they just assume it is a council issue!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
18th June 2012 at 10:51PM
I think it was the fact you said you'd look into it and we heard nothing for a few weeks.....holiday, do they not have the t'internet there! ;-)
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
19th June 2012 at 6:39PM
Wonder if things would have moved so quickly if I hadn't posted about my sons injury two weeks ago. Am I being cynical, or were these repairs happening this week Anyway. On a good note hes been off his crutches for a week and will hopefully get back to playing cricket in a few weeks as long as I can stop him climbing over 3 foot fences to play on broken park equipment
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vege
Drifter
24th June 2012 at 8:08PM
went passed skateboard park today and it is all back in order,hope the scrotes who keep wrecking it don't do it again,but I fear they will as there is no-one around in the night time to stop them.maybe a big brother camera and motion activated searchlight could be installed at a cost.then again how much does it keep costing to repair,and how many injuries saved?
25th June 2012 at 8:42AM
My son has been a skateboarder/rollerblader for many years and we attended the opening of this skatepark. At the time he said (he was in primary school then) that the ramps wouldn't last and should have been made of concrete....
I wasn't aware of the park being locked as usually he travels all the way to Marple to use theirs (its concrete) but has used the Torkington park again recently. The grind rail is also damaged and I worry that someone will get hurt there.
These lads just want to skate, they don't damage their parks. The damage is done by non-skaters hanging around with nothing better to do. Why would the skaters damage their own equipment? I've met loads of them and they're all really good kids.
Please can someone get this park made safe and the ramps replaced with concrete. Ask the skaters to help design it, (you'll find them at UK Skate, Canal St) and you'll be onto a winner.
I only hope that Stockport Council don't get sued in the meantime for injuries!
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
25th June 2012 at 9:21AM
Drifter Wrote:

maybe a big brother camera and motion activated searchlight

Made me laugh that bit! Motion activated searchlight!?! How about laser turrets too while we are at it!
vege
Drifter
25th June 2012 at 6:16PM
well I thought machine guns might be a bit over the top.
craig
Idler

craig
3rd July 2012 at 1:06PM
Drifter Wrote:

It IS used and valued by lot's of people so it should therefore be fixed. Wooden ramps invite vandalism and common sense would indicate that the kids using the equipment wouldn't destroy it. It's obviously passing scrotes or drunken adults. I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm sure that whoever is responsile for the maintenance of the equipment could just go along on a Saturday and ask the kids using the ramps which material would be best to use. Of course with other expertise, I'm sure that a conclusion can drawn from a bit of effort.

asking kids is pointless, kids dont know anything about construction methods, Outdoor parks should be made of concrete, plain and simple, concrete lasts pretty much forever

Shirleewhirlee Wrote:

My son has been a skateboarder/rollerblader for many years and we attended the opening of this skatepark. At the time he said (he was in primary school then) that the ramps wouldn't last and should have been made of concrete....
I wasn't aware of the park being locked as usually he travels all the way to Marple to use theirs (its concrete) but has used the Torkington park again recently. The grind rail is also damaged and I worry that someone will get hurt there.
These lads just want to skate, they don't damage their parks. The damage is done by non-skaters hanging around with nothing better to do. Why would the skaters damage their own equipment? I've met loads of them and they're all really good kids.
Please can someone get this park made safe and the ramps replaced with concrete. Ask the skaters to help design it, (you'll find them at UK Skate, Canal St) and you'll be onto a winner.
I only hope that Stockport Council don't get sued in the meantime for injuries!

again, yes it does need to be made of concrete, as I think... I may have said much earlier back when the plans for the park were coming out, I voiced my concern over building it out of wood with the lady in charge of the project, and hell told them not to use the park construction company they used, as a quick look at their website at the time just showed cheap shoddy looking ramps, but they decided to go with what they called the "cheaper" option anyhow since they were on a budget, even tho a concrete park of exactly the same layout would've worked out cheaper and have been of much higher quality, and have cheaper maintenance costs.

Its good that its resurfaced and I'll check it out when this damn weather improves

craig
Idler

craig
26th July 2012 at 10:49AM
well, finally managed to go and check out the park again on tuesday, and I don't know who has resurfaced that ramp, but they need to be shot, its been resurfaced with some kind of slick plastic material, that now makes the ramp dangerous to use. It took me 3 attempts to climb to the top of the ramp because it was that slippy, hell it was like trying to climb up a slide chute.

From what I gathered from the local kids who were there quite a few kids have slipped already and hurt themselves, one apparently has even knocked himself out for a couple of minutes, not even trying to do anything complicated, just simply trying to ride it.

Its almost like whomever has repaired it has gone for the cheapest material they can find to save money, well sorry, but when it comes to skateparks safety comes first over cost effectiveness, and that ramp is now definitely not safe to use. Get it resurfaced with wood and treat the wood with something to protect it from the rain, yeah it might well mean you have to replace it again when it inevitably gets damaged but, its a hell of a lot better than getting sued when some kid cracks his skull due to it being dangerous.
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
26th July 2012 at 12:13PM
This may be a silly question but was this lad who was knocked out wearing a helmet? Don't think you'd get very far suing for injury sustained if you aren't wearing the correct safety equipment.

I agree that it should have been fixed properly though!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>