Torkington Park News

A Park in Hazel Grove

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Torky skatepark damage

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Drifter
Re: Torky skatepark damage
22nd May 2012 at 5:20PM, Edit: 22nd May 2012 at 6:45PM by Administrator
Hello Limecat. Strange question I guess, one for which I will stand by to be ridiculed over. (I can take it)Have you heard of David Thorne, an Australian writer?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Limecat
Banned
22nd May 2012 at 9:43PM
Drifter Wrote:

Hello Limecat. Strange question I guess, one for which I will stand by to be ridiculed over. (I can take it)Have you heard of David Thorne, an Australian writer?

LMFAO, that is random.

I wouldn't know the name but I punched it into google and as it shows the 27b/6 forum I must say I know of him. I spent a good while reading through his forum months back. The complaint letters are awesome!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
23rd May 2012 at 12:27PM
I`ll see what I can do on this as I am now Exec member for parks among other things.
Drifter
24th May 2012 at 9:11PM
My reason for the question limecat was because our friend David Thorne thrives on being controversial, which I dont have any problem with, it sparks, debate , feeling ,etc , etc . But being controversial for the sake of it, which I feel you are is a different matter. But then again I could b a million miles away with my thoughts. (which is often)
craig
Idler

craig
24th May 2012 at 10:23PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

I`ll see what I can do on this as I am now Exec member for parks among other things.

nice one dude, in the short run, it simply needs repairing...
tbh in the long run, it should be ripped out and a concrete one put in place, which will not be subject to this short term wear and damage
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
8th June 2012 at 12:23PM
Just reviving this thread to warn of the dangers of the sketepark as it stands. The skatepark is currently locked, i assume to stop access and to stop the kids playing on what is blatantly an unsafe piece of equipment. However, the fencing around the area isn't in anyway high enough to stop kids leaping over to still utilise the equipment (kids will be kids) - my soon to be 11 years old son is one of these kids and unfortunately due to the poor condition of the equipment he is now on crutches with severly torn ankle ligaments.

Before anyone jumps down my throat - i am not typing this to apportion blame, i am typing it to warn others of how dangerous this equipment is. I wasn't personally aware that that section of the park was locked up and the kids weren't allowed on it. You know your kids are off to the park to play and don't necessarily rush down to carry out a risk assessment.

I would however point out the damege to this equipment looks like it is from wear and tear and rot as opposed to vandalism - it really does look poor standard.

I got a close look at it when i got the phonecall from my sons mate to tell me that he had really hurt himself. It was on arrival that i saw for the first time the locked gates. The fencing around maybe easy for an 11 year old to clamber over, it certainly isnt designed for a 44 year old fella to scale. I nearly joined him in hospital to reverse a castration but thats another story.

I would however express my disappointment in human nature. The rest of the playground was busy with parents and kids. On my arrival 10-15 minutes after the phonecall my son was still lay crumpled on the ground in obvious distress with just his 11 year old mate with him - not one adult had come over to help in anyway, that will stick with me for a long time.

Anyway back to the point, warn your kids about going on this section of the park, Stepping Hill is busy enough already, lets not make it worse
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
8th June 2012 at 12:26PM
Sketeboard and damege are the obvious typos caused by typing this on my phone, please take into account any other errors and blame HTCs small buttons and not my education :)
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
8th June 2012 at 9:32PM
I'd put the blame firmly at the door of Cllr Hogg, who two and a half weeks ago he said he'd have a look into it - clearly he's got his votes so he's not bothered until the next election.

I'm sure if your son had been screaming his head off in pain or if his friend had requested help then an adult would have come to assistance - not apportioning blame to your side but countering the mentallity of other parents in the park. Hope your son in on the mend!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
9th June 2012 at 9:03AM
Thanks for the well wish Robot and yes there has been a slight improvement on his ankle today. It has been pointed out to me that maybe the adults were scared of getting involved in case they get accused of something down the line, what a sad world we live in. If I saw a child in the distress he was in I would be straight over to help, if down the line I was accused of doing something wrong, even it was the wrong type of care, I would be at peace in my mind that I was trying to do the right thing

As for Councillor Hogg, I would be interested to have his input. Font forget I did say that I'm not apportioning name as my son climbed a locked gate to get to the skatepark. However if Councillor Hogg had ade promises to look at the park then it would be good to hear his thoughts.
Limecat
Banned
9th June 2012 at 2:05PM
Yeah, Hogg should get 10% discount at B&Q on a Wednesday.

He should get down there with his work bench, a hammer and a few tacks...
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>