Torkington Park after 5pm

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Re: Torkington Park after 5pm
11th July 2011 at 3:48PM
As for photography.....

These guidelines have been issued to all police staff by the head of specalist operations for the metropolitan police service, to assist them in dealing with professional and amateur photographers taking pictures in public places:

Whilst we must remain vigilant at all times in dealing with suspicious behaviour staff also must be clear that:

* There is no restriction on people taking photographs in public spaces or of any building other than in very exceptional circumstances.

* There is no prohibition on photographing frontline uniform staff

* The act of taking a photograph in itself is not usually sufficient to carry out a stop

* Unless there is a very good reason, people taking photographs should not be stopped

* Officers do not have the power to delete digital images,distroy film or to prevent photography in a public place under either power (sections 43 and 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000)

I find it strange that this grandparent could be taken in for questioning given the above unless.....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
11th July 2011 at 4:05PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, these were grandparents, plural ,taking innocent snaps of their own grand kids at play in a park,for their family album, it was only a few weeks ago the article was in the national press , and no it wasn't the News of The world
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
11th July 2011 at 4:15PM
Point I was trying to make is that police offices around the country have been given guidelines in ralation to photographers either am or pro. There is no such offence in taking pictures in public places (unless its a breach of security or train stations ? - don't ask). The only other exception is if taking pictures incites other criminal activities. Appreciate Torky Park is council property but the police must have another side to this or plainly bang out of order.

Not seen the original article.
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
11th July 2011 at 4:32PM
As I said earlier, I have no objection to a camera/phone being used, as long as this sort of activity gets nipped in the bud, before it gets well and truly out of order, after all the park is there for public enjoyment, not the private domain of out of control feral youths who don't know the meaning of respect.
GoodOldDays
Villager

GoodOldDays
11th July 2011 at 5:01PM
From a primary school perspective... if an incident was reported to a school then yes, the children involved would be spoken to and the parent's informed.

Unfortunately, some of the undesirables, hanging around the park, generally making people feel uncomfortable and flinging their rubbish around, their parents do not care, hence they are there doing this kind of thing in the first place. Informing these parents would, more than likely, be a waste of time.

Anyway, let's blame the teacher's, it is all their fault...for everything these days (apparently)! (sorry minor rant over).
Jozee
Townsperson

Jozee
11th July 2011 at 5:14PM, Edit: 11th July 2011 at 5:17PM by Jozee
GoodOldDays Wrote:

Anyway, let's blame the teacher's, it is all their fault...for everything these days (apparently)! (sorry minor rant over).

Don't get me wrong... I did not and am not saying I blame teachers. Far from it! I did actually type 'I blame the parents' and deleted it before posting because its said all the time!!

My generalised comment about teaching kids about their rights and not the responsibilities was maybe not clear enough. The media, TV, music, websites, magazines, the many young peoples' organisations.... Everything falls into that category of 'teaching' them about their rights. And yes, I did say 'school' teaching them but I don't blame teachers for that (and its only a small part of the bigger picture), I think its all part of out 'rights' culture' in this country.

And yes, I totally agree, the main teacher to these young people about their responsibilities to become decent civilised young people, should be their parents of carers. Like you say, the parents of the kids hanging round the park are probably not all that bothered. As we all know, many, many young people are good decent kids, but the minority mean that often they all get a bad reputation.
Adora
Area Admin

Adora
11th July 2011 at 7:26PM

Surely we (parents) have got to let them go at some point and we may have spent years drilling them on how to behave but once we start to 'allow' them a little bit of freedom to go to the park on their own, we have to do so on trust & hope that they'll behave correctly? That doesn't mean we're not bothered - just that we've done our best and now it's up to them?

There's no 'authority' figure around in the park though - so they push it to the limits and unfortunately, that means sweary/leary behaviour. I wouldn't challenge them if I was on my own (actually, I might but only if it was really bad) but not because of their rights - purely from a risk of them turning on me and finding myself in a dangerous spot of bother.

Perhaps a PCSO or five wandering by might just keep the worst of it in check. CCTV would be my other suggestion!
Adora
Area Admin

Adora
11th July 2011 at 7:32PM
GoodOldDays Wrote:

Informing these parents would, more than likely, be a waste of time.

Just to answer this point - for those of you who know who I am on here and know my kids - I blardy well would do something about it and it would NOT be a waste of your time! Cleaning the yard with their tooth brushes would be the very least of their punishments ;-D And I'm reasonably certain that more parents than not would feel the same way - certainly most of my friends who are parents would want to know and would step up to the plate.
Climate
Drifter
11th July 2011 at 9:49PM
Blimey, what a bunch of busy bodies some of you are?

What are you doing at a skate park with a dog anyway?

People moan that kids have nothing to do but then when they have a facility to use the boring coffin dodgers come out moaning?

Maybe you would prefer it if they were garden hopping or playing 'knock a door run'.

Get a grip of yourselves, seriously. Were you always old and boring? Let youth be youth.

Oh, PCSO's are muppets. I had one a few years back trying to tell me my exhaust was too loud and was illegal. 'Are you from VOSA' I asked? 'No' he replied. 'Exactly, **** off and know what you are preaching you failed little Hitler!'. It was only ticking over on idle by the shops. LMAO
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
12th July 2011 at 5:00AM
PCSO's are a complete waste of time and money, they don't have any power and the kids know it!

I remember years back we were having a kick about on a local field when one of these plastic police turned up and tried telling us we had to move on as we were apparently breaking all manor of laws! (we weren't by the way!)

Obviously this guy thought he was special and got some sort of power rush from it. We even then (PCSO's were a new thing) knew they were powerless so refused to move and continued with our kick about. He had no other option to radio a real police officer who proceeded to tell him "stop being a t**t"

Point is why do we have them in the first place? The only function i can see is that they are and extra pair of eyes for the police.

I stand by my suggestion, I hear the current HGHS head is a right piece of work so have no doubt that she will take action if kids are causing trouble whilst wearing the uniform. the head would and often did when i was there years ago.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>