A Park in Hazel Grove

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Torkington Park after 5pm

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

PVish
Drifter
Torkington Park after 5pm
10th July 2011 at 4:39PM

I often walk my dogs around the park in the evenings. I've noticed its becoming less and less attractive to do this. There seems to be a small group of teenagers hanging around the skating area who are constantly swearing and throwing drinks cans and other litter around. has anyone else encountered this behaviour from the same group of them? some wear hazel Grove high uniform. Can anything be done?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Jozee
Townsperson

Jozee
Re: Torkington Park after 5pm
10th July 2011 at 5:30PM
A friend had a similar problem in another HG park in the last week or so, with idiots messing with new play equipment and took photos on his phone. He spoke to the police who sent a PCSO to check out the photos to try to identify them. Might be worth a try and might be worth just reporting it so they can check it out.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
11th July 2011 at 3:47AM
If they are wearing school uniforms then a quick snap and an email to the school should have some effect.
When i was there the school held the view that anything you do whilst wearing their uniform was their business.

I'm not sure how much they can actually do but i suspect they will get a good talking to and maybe even a letter home. Which should do the trick.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
11th July 2011 at 10:22AM
I will mention this to Pcso`s and have some attention paid to it. It will only move it on to another area but we must do something or it will escalate to numbers in previous years of approx 100 teenagers running riot in surrounding streets
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
11th July 2011 at 2:34PM
What can a PCSO do ? Do they have any authority/powers whatsoever ?

As for HGHS, their school uniform changes every other year so the Head will probably disown their responsibility. My understand is that once they are off the grounds of the school then they are someone else's problem (yes, it should be the parents!)

If there is such a problem then it does need stamping out with a firm hand (or foot), not using powerless PCSO's. Torkington park has evolved over the years to something H-G should be proud off and caters for all ages, including the recent introduction of the skate park.

P.S. Can someone resurface the tennis courts ;-)
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
11th July 2011 at 2:55PM
Jozee Wrote:

A friend had a similar problem in another HG park in the last week or so, with idiots messing with new play equipment and took photos on his phone. He spoke to the police who sent a PCSO to check out the photos to try to identify them. Might be worth a try and might be worth just reporting it so they can check it out.

When Grandparents are taken in for questioning by the police, for taking photos of their grand kids in a public park, I think your friend may have broken one of our nanny state laws, even though this wasn't mentioned to your friend at the time.
Jozee
Townsperson

Jozee
11th July 2011 at 2:56PM
Robot69 Wrote:

What can a PCSO do ? Do they have any authority/powers whatsoever ?

As for HGHS, their school uniform changes every other year so the Head will probably disown their responsibility. My understand is that once they are off the grounds of the school then they are someone else's problem (yes, it should be the parents!)

I used to think PCSOs were a waste of time - cheap policing. However, I do think this sort of low-level 'crime' can be where they are very useful. PCSOs seem to spend a fair bit of time pounding the beat so can get to know the persistent troublemakers an may have more chance of identifying them. Yes, they don't have great powers, but I see them as the eyes and ears of the police who have the potential to stop this sort of stuff escalating.
As someone else said, when I was at the high school, it was made very clear that if you were caught doing anything you shouldn't be in school uniform they would deal with you appropriately..... 'representing the school', etc.

On a separate note, the police and PCSOs at the Carnival were great. They had a little stall and spoke to my son and friend about the dangers of drugs. I was very impressed at how they dealt with two Yr 6 lads in an age-appropriate way.
Jozee
Townsperson

Jozee
11th July 2011 at 3:00PM
Prodigal Wrote:

When Grandparents are taken in for questioning by the police, for taking photos of their grand kids in a public park, I think your friend may have broken one of our nanny state laws, even though this wasn't mentioned to your friend at the time.

Nah, I think common sense does usually prevail. I'd happily do the same if I saw kids in school uniforms wrecking playground equipment. I don't have a problem with cameras pointed at older teenagers if they are being destructive prats.
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
11th July 2011 at 3:13PM
Jozee Wrote:

Prodigal Wrote:

Nah, I think common sense does usually prevail. I'd happily do the same if I saw kids in school uniforms wrecking playground equipment. I don't have a problem with cameras pointed at older teenagers if they are being destructive prats.

It was a point ,I thought, worth making, but not one I would personally have a problem with, however, a lot of these gobby little buggers a very street smart and could, just as easily, turn the tables on you, pleading innocence, and report you to the police, painting you as a perv.
Jozee
Townsperson

Jozee
11th July 2011 at 3:22PM
Prodigal Wrote:

It was a point ,I thought, worth making, but not one I would personally have a problem with, however, a lot of these gobby little buggers a very street smart and could, just as easily, turn the tables on you, pleading innocence, and report you to the police, painting you as a perv.

Yeah, point taken Prodial! Thats what happens when we now focus on teaching kids (through school, media, society in general) all about their rights, but side step teaching them about their responsibilities!

Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
11th July 2011 at 3:38PM
Jozee Wrote:

Prodigal Wrote:

Yeah, point taken Prodial! Thats what happens when we now focus on teaching kids (through school, media, society in general) all about their rights, but side step teaching them about their responsibilities!

Well said, but, teachers are only there in loco parentis, so surely the greater onus should fall to the parents of these little darlings to teach them respect and responsibility

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>