Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

The News of the World and hacked e-mails.

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
The News of the World and hacked e-mails.
6th July 2011 at 11:42AM, Edit: 6th July 2011 at 11:49AM by JohnEllis
I've just sent an e-mail to Andrew Stunnell. Below are some extracts, to give the flavour.

<"Doubtless you will be getting a number of e-mails on this topic. I don't doubt what your own personal view of all this will be, as we see, virtually hour by hour, new revelations as to the activities of the News of the World, and observe how the Murdoch empire attempts to duck and weave in response to them.

But I write just to say that I think it will be very difficult for quite a number of ordinary citizens, myself included, to retain any confidence in ... democracy itself, if NewsCorp isn't held to account over all this.

Which, for me, as a minimum will require a fully transparent public enquiry into all that has taken place, with nothing held back when the findings are published; a deferment of any decision on NewsCorp's bid to acquire full ownership of BSkyB until the enquiry has published its conclusions; and a clear distancing of the government, and all its ministers, from those who are or have been employed in any capacity by News International and its subsidiaries, whether that is in a formal context (e.g. press advisers like the recently departed Mr Coulson) or in a social one (Mr Cameron at cosy Christmas parties with Rebekah Wade, for instance).

If these things don't happen, I'm afraid that I will be looking elsewhere to cast my vote. ... A spoiled vote is hardly a constructive gesture, but, unless some other party or group appears that offers a solid alternative, it may be the best option available.">

I don't know what other forum posters think, but for me the tabloid press in this country - and, unsurprisingly, it's the Murdoch empire in the front line - has in the last few days plumbed a new low that even I wouldn't have expected. MPs might grasp what ordinary folk feel about this if they get a load of e-mails and letters telling them. Since I sent the e-mail, the prime minister's suggested that there will be one or more enquiries, which is a start, but no more than that.

And I'll make a suggestion: if you usually buy the News of the World on a Sunday - or, indeed, any other title from the same stable: the Sun, the Times, the Sunday Times - you might like to think twice about it from now on. Sales count for everything with these people, and a smack at their profits gets to them more powerfully than anything else.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
Re: The News of the World and hacked e-mails.
6th July 2011 at 12:26PM
You wonder how low the human race can plunge? Hero worship for scum like Raoul Moat and now this.
None of the papers in Murdocks stable are my first choice, but I agree, hit them in the pocket.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Climate
Drifter
6th July 2011 at 1:20PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

You wonder how low the human race can plunge? Hero worship for scum like Raoul Moat and now this.
None of the papers in Murdocks stable are my first choice, but I agree, hit them in the pocket.

I think describing it as hero worshipping is going a bit far, it's a extreme minority of the like who hate police for whatever reason, probably as they are less than legal themselves.

It was mesmerising though how he was basically under their nose for a week and the fact Paul Gascoigne turned up with beer, fried chicken and a fishing rod was the most surreal news ever!
Drifter
6th July 2011 at 5:17PM
How low is this story going to go !! the only way to go for the average person is to not buy the papers like the advertisers who are opting out and another poster states hit them in their deep pockets
Climate
Drifter
6th July 2011 at 7:28PM
Guest Wrote:

How low is this story going to go !! the only way to go for the average person is to not buy the papers like the advertisers who are opting out and another poster states hit them in their deep pockets

I am not condoning it in any way shape or form. With the whole 'celeb' thing and the man-power put into it I thought it was disgusting but lets be honest, they work in an environment that being first with anything worthy of news is king.

I honestly do not think that those in a higher position did know about it (I am happy to be proved wrong!). People in top positions are paid top money and obscene bonus's. It is more likely that those on a lower level were trying the lot to get their foot on the corporate ladder by delivering outstanding results for the position that they were in.

You can't exactly email the MD etc and say 'I have just hacked someones phone, it's juicy but somewhat illegal, would you like to risk your wage/pension and credability for the story?'

It's often the case that those in charge fall on the sword even though they had no direct hand in it - I will point you to the Mecando oil spill by BP. People cry about the MD's taking big money but they take a huge responsibility and they rarely have a clue of what is going on at a lower level.

That's life. Binning those that were in charge at the time does not make a new MD exempt from corruption at a lower level that they are unaware of.

Look at the whole 'Baby P' thing. The Woman in charge who was, IMO wrongly sacked, won her case. Enough said.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
7th July 2011 at 4:29AM

Hmm, but if the journos are turning in copy littered with quotes or material obtained from a hacked phone, surely the editor must wonder where the hell it came from?

Also, wouldn't the editor have to sanction such practices in the first place...I just can't believe that somebody who has risen to the rank of editor on a Fleet Street newspaper wouldn't know a thing about such goings-on.

It stinks anyway - hacking the phones of the Soham families especially, left me absolutely disgusted and I'm aware of how emotional that sounds but truly, that's beneath contempt.

sundave
Townsperson

sundave
7th July 2011 at 5:24AM
Is it not the case that, possesion of and use of equipment that allows you to listen into private conservations, except when sanctioned by the Government for the sake of national security, is against the law.
If this is the case, prosecutions should be made and those involved should be punished.
It is my opinion that these people should have the full weight of the law brought down upon them and then if they get away with it, they should at least be shunned by their honest colleagues, if there are any of course.
itsme
Villager

itsme
7th July 2011 at 6:45AM
I am not going to repeat what everyone else is saying merely agree, hit them hard in the pockets.

What seems not to have been mentioned is the police taking money from hacks for information. If we can`t trust the police who the hell can we trust.

Cameron seems to be in Murdochs pocket because of the power of the press to help elect, or support political parties in their grab for power. Should he now look at his position, maybe not that would leave Clegg in charge.
Drifter
7th July 2011 at 7:03AM
you have to think that if one paper is hacking e mails and mobiles then are all the papers at it. also the news of the world supplied txts taken off the mobile of Milly dowler didn't the police wonder how they were getting them.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
7th July 2011 at 12:05PM

Blimey, they've (Murdoch) have decided to close the News of The Screws this Sunday - end of:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

I wonder what it will return as? You can be sure, it WILL be re-incarnated.

Close the rag down rather than lose that editor - she holds some power, eh?!
slim
Townsperson

slim
7th July 2011 at 12:21PM
does Murdoch think that by closing the rag down that he can avoid an inquiry and possible police charges into the running of the paper. if the allegations are true then some one needs to be held accountable
<< 1 2 3 >>