This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

Climate
Drifter
Re: Stockport Times Newspaper
6th May 2011 at 4:58PM
Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Think of me as an advocate of common sense.

Only in your bed time dreams Climate

Common sense doesn't turn my bedsheets into something akin to cardboard. Amanda Bynes does though...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Drifter
7th May 2011 at 3:59AM
Climate wrote: “There is a World of difference between getting a mast thrown out at a planning stage and forcing work to go through at pace due to some moaning locals AFTER planning permission has been granted” Climate I was making a point about what can be accomplished if the people (moaning locals) and councillors feel strongly enough about the negative impact something is or will have on the daily lives of the people that live in that area, and what can be achieved by a displaying a united front. I sure you knew really what I meant but as usual wanted to put a negative slant on my comment.

My comments are not made in a fight to stop ASDA developing (that would be narrow minded) but more about getting answers to questions that ultimately will affect all the residents of Hazel Grove.

I know its not a big issue to you however unlike you though I do not see myself as God (and all knowing) and need to ask for help (via our councillors) in trying to attain some such information as to what is actually going on.

Climate wrote: “I don't claim to be an expert on these matters, far from it but I do believe that planning is granted on the basis that work commences within a certain timeframe of permission being granted? Work has started” Like you said Climate you’re no expert on the matter, neither am I, but unfortunately I see on a daily basis the problems this store has created and would like to know if the end of this project is in sight.

As for the “People on here act as if they are ready to hang draw and quarter people over a few roadworks. Councillors don't have a crystal ball” Yes they might not have a crystal ball but they are I believe in constant discussion with their our local Council and as such can ask the questions we all keep wanting to know.

Climate I wonder why you seem to have a strong enough negative opinion when it comes to shopping at HG ASDA and yet you seem unable to want our try to understand the problems we speak of (seems narrow minded to me) even though you’ve told us you've visited the store.

You must have witnessed for yourself the congested roads and the mess that has been left by the contractors (for nearly almost a year now) and be able to understand where we are all coming from with our so called moans. But still you argue in defence of ASDA and seem to somehow support their policy that no news is good news.

I for one are not asking that the councillors get their hard hats on, rent a steam-roller and a pickaxe, just that they emphasise with the residents that need their support in sorting out these ongoing issues. I feel I have a right to some feedback as a local resident whose mundane life is and has been substantially affected by these so called planning errors made by onbehalf of ASDA and in conjunction with their associates.

Read your local papers Clmate, it’s not just me but lots of other people as well who are getting TOTALLY fed up with such problems as their cars being damaged, road delays, not being able to fully access public pavements and congested traffic to the adjacent roads.

Climate what is wrong with expecting our councillors to find out the latest news on ASDA and to give us some feedback, if the councillors can’t do that then it’s a bit of a poor show,you must agree.

Think about it Climate when you say things like “perform miracles” this is a multibillion dollar company surely one miracle is possible.
deano
Drifter
12th May 2011 at 5:09AM
so somebody else has noticed that this forum allows climate to constantly abuse and wind people up why i dont know? the guy is a fool that hides behind his computer screen.in the real world climate i dont think you talk to people as you do on this forum now do you?
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
12th May 2011 at 7:17AM
Guest Wrote:

Amanda Bynes does though...
Never heard of Amanda Bynes, but no point in having the internet if you don't use it.

Result? Can see your point, I think, Climate, but not my type - too blonde, air-brushed and "sunshine state transatlantic"!

On another thread you say you'd love to be 15 again. On the evidence, there's perhaps one area of functioning in which you have your wish!
Drifter
12th May 2011 at 9:29AM
JohnEllis Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Amanda Bynes does though...
Never heard of Amanda Bynes, but no point in having the internet if you don't use it.

Result? Can see your point, I think, Climate, but not my type - too blonde, air-brushed and "sunshine state transatlantic"!

On another thread you say you'd love to be 15 again. On the evidence, there's perhaps one area of functioning in which you have your wish!

They say there is a first for everything John. I agree with you.
Drifter
12th May 2011 at 2:51PM
So, taking this back on topic.

Again in this week’s Stockport Times, we have 50% of the letters page dedicated to local residents unhappy with the unworkable waste arrangements; Cllr Bodsworth does seem to have thick skin and limited hearing capacity. He’s certainly doing his Lib Dem colleagues no favours at all.
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
12th May 2011 at 4:26PM, Edit: 12th May 2011 at 4:27PM by JohnEllis
They're not unworkable. They work fine for us.

But then there's now only the two of us .. oh, and the cat. Not sure if they'd have worked fine for us when we had my other half's two lads at home, and her mum living with us - and I think that's the point that most folk are making: the black bin's just too small for larger families.

It's quite obvious that, even when you've eradicated the Stockport equivalents of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" (and waste disposal is one of those things that really brings out the frothing idiots among the English!), there's a problem here.

The best and most cost-free suggestion that I've seen is that we simply use the green bins for the non-recyclable waste and the black bins for garden and food waste. OK, I know it messes up the colour-coding of the bins, and it won't work well for enthusiastic gardeners with vast gardens who don't compost, or who prune throughout the year. But my guess is that it'd work better than the system we have now.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
12th May 2011 at 4:34PM
JohnEllis Wrote:

...It's quite obvious that, even when you've eradicated the Stockport equivalents of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" (and waste disposal is one of those things that really brings out the frothing idiots among the English!), there's a problem here.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells - hands up, that's me when it comes to the subject of bins (see ranting thread on other forum).

It would work John, if they collected the black 'cozy-sized' bin once a ruddy week OR if the bin men took extra bags on those occasions when a household has more rubbish than normal! Good example - two bank holiday weekends back to back with Royal wedding parties thrown in...extra trash. Ask binman if I can throw rubbish into wagon myself because he says he's not allowed to. No, apparently, I can't. Reason cited "Health and Safety"!
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
14th May 2011 at 9:19AM
Adora Wrote:

It would work John, if they collected the black 'cozy-sized' bin once a ruddy week ...
My take is that the unspoken reason for black mini-bins collected only every other week is that Stockport's biting the bullet (more drastically than many [most?] neighbouring councils) on the need to drastically reduce non-recyclable waste and the use of landfill sites.

If they make using the black bin more fraught, people will be nudged [shoved?!] into recycling more carefully and more routinely. After a generation, they hope that sorting household rubbish and minimizing non-recyclable waste would become as automatic and uncontroversial here as it already seems to be, for instance, in Germany and some of the Scandinavian countries.

No one, of course, is ever going to admit that this is the agenda. That's for two reasons: the first is that doing so would fire up a local spat on the climate change controversy. The second is that waste disposal is an EU-regulated issue, and would fire up the Europhobes and quite probably attract the terrifying attention of the Daily Droppings red-top tabloids, which have the power to transform politicians both local and national into nerveless jelly. So they say nothing of substance, but carry on regardless!

Adora Wrote:

...OR if the bin men took extra bags on those occasions when a household has more rubbish than normal! Good example - two bank holiday weekends back to back with Royal wedding parties thrown in...extra trash. Ask binman if I can throw rubbish into wagon myself because he says he's not allowed to. No, apparently, I can't. Reason cited "Health and Safety"!
My guess is that they think if they agree to take "overspill" bags people waste disposal habits won't change.

Here, I think, they shoot themselves in the foot. If they feel they must "stick to the principle", then I sort of see the point. But when you're introducing a radically new way of doing things, then a bit of common-sense flexibility - especially, as you say, at bank holiday times and for those who feel impelled to celebrate royal nuptuals - seems common sense and good p.r. Whereas when they get all rigid and "jobsworth" about the operation, they dissipate the chance of building good will and eventual public acceptance towards the changes, and just stir up resentment and controversy.

I know councils can never please all the citizens all of the time, but our council sometimes seems peculiarly inept in its public relations. Maybe they need David Cameron's old firm to advise them - but then doubtless folk would rise up in wrath about the impact of the fees on the council tax!
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
14th May 2011 at 10:03AM

I can't dispute anything you've said John. I'm agree with your 'jobs-worth' point particularly. Common sense & flexibility (gie and take) gone out the window :-(
<< 1 2 3 >>