Stockport - City or Town?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
Stockport - City or Town?
22nd June 2011 at 3:05PM

Finally found a write-up which explains why several towns, including Stockport, are going for 'city' status.

Preston, according to the article, have done quite well as a result of winning city status in the past. I've got mixed views on this. I can't help thinking it's a bit of a nonsense and we've got bigger things to worry about. On the other hand, if it gives our area a leg-up, then why not go for it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
dinosaur
Drifter
Re: Stockport - City or Town?
22nd June 2011 at 4:03PM
From my visit of today and parking in the merseyway car park,most of the lighting is still not working since my last visit some four weeks ago. It looks more like the black hole of Calcutta, hardly a great welcome to visitors, combine that with all the loose and damaged bricks forming the pavement in the precinct look at all the litter in the back streets and you get the impression Stockport is struggling as a town so heaven help us if it becomes a city!

T6S86
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
22nd June 2011 at 4:26PM

Dino - what's T6S86?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
22nd June 2011 at 8:14PM
Not against the idea in principle. Just wrong time to be distracting ourselves with projects like this. There are very serious issues which the authorities are failing to deal with adequately.

It is important that we get the bread and butter right!
vege
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 6:27AM
It sounds like it is going to cost council tax payers extra,and for what?Extra status for the councillors,perhaps extra pay.Lots of new signs saying STOCKPORT CITY.I can't see any advantage for Joe Public
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd June 2011 at 6:41AM
We also should be aware that it is a BID to become a city and I believe we are facing off against the likes of Middlesbrough. Correct me if I am wrong but surely in terms of geography and identity such a place has more of a 'city' feel about it than Stockport does, which would include Marple Bridge and Mellor within the same city boundary as Edgeley, Brinnington and so on.

Hardly appropriate to say that these areas are part of the same city is it?
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
23rd June 2011 at 6:41AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Not against the idea in principle. Just wrong time to be distracting ourselves with projects like this. There are very serious issues which the authorities are failing to deal with adequately.

It is important that we get the bread and butter right!

Theoretically it would be great, if for no other reason than it would bring Stockport out of the shadow of Manchester, but I have to agree with you Mr.J, financially, with the Council in cut back mode, it's a none starter, just to start with, you would have the reprinting of all stationary and road signage, which would be the tip of the iceberg.
slim
Townsperson

slim
23rd June 2011 at 7:58AM
i cant see that for people like myself a sole trader in the hazel grove area going from a town to a city will make any difference.
spend the money on services don't make as many redundancies there must be better ways to spend the money.
Climate
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 4:01PM
Adora Wrote:

Dino - what's T6S86?

Security code for their post! ;) To confirm you aren't a 'bot.
Climate
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 4:11PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

We also should be aware that it is a BID to become a city and I believe we are facing off against the likes of Middlesbrough. Correct me if I am wrong but surely in terms of geography and identity such a place has more of a 'city' feel about it than Stockport does, which would include Marple Bridge and Mellor within the same city boundary as Edgeley, Brinnington and so on.

Hardly appropriate to say that these areas are part of the same city is it?

Middlesbrough is the a***hole of Britain, it's an absolute cess pit. Ok, Stockport isn't exactly good but I would rather frequent Reddish than Redcar.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd June 2011 at 5:05PM
My point being has more a city identity to it than Stockport - don't you think?
<< 1 2 3 >>