SMBC Hunts for Unaccounted Millions

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

BigTed
Villager

BigTed
Re: SMBC Hunts for Unaccounted Millions
21st August 2012 at 2:06PM
So where are all the unaccountable councillors now?

They seem to be so visible and helpfully influential when they are looking to be elected or they have just squandered another couple of dozen homes worth of your and my council tax on a completely irrelevant load of galvanised trees outside Sainsbury’s.

But where are they now?

In times past, we elected the council, they appointed the council staff – the staff were accountable to the council and the council were accountable to us.

Alas no longer:
Now, The councillors promise the earth, we are gullible enough to believe them, they set up a shonky, third-party unaccountable gang of nepotistic mates, they cock the job up – we complain, the council tell us; ‘it aint us it was, Solutions SK / NPS / The Sports Tryst’, or one of the many groups that we can now pretend not to own, but probably do!

Democracy – it’s a gift from God (or was it the other guy?)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
21st August 2012 at 2:22PM
Maybe, our councillors could take a leaf out of the late Lord Alf Moriss's book, I know he served as an M.P for thirty plus years, BUT, he must have been doing something right, for his constituents, otherwise he wouldn't have been re-elected over such a long period.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
21st August 2012 at 3:44PM
I think you need to get your facts right BT re: Trees
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
22nd August 2012 at 1:42PM
You’re entirely correct, I should have said Scrap Iron...
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
22nd August 2012 at 2:28PM
YOu probably should also have said that the "trees" were paid for by Sainsburys!
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
22nd August 2012 at 8:29PM
Heads clearly must roll with this …

•     As a starting point the chairperson of the relevant oversight committee should resign from the committee (and assume that they are an elected member should resign their post as a councillor and submit themselves for election.

•     Secondly, whoever decided that secrecy, and essentially hiding the facts from our councillors and therefore the electorate by insisting that councillors should sign a none-disclosure agreement should be suspended with immediate effect.

•     Thirdly, the CEO of the council, or whatever their inflated job title is should go.

However, being realistic I wont hold my breath and fully expect either (a) a cover up, or (b) lots of people claiming it was nothing to do with them.

I realise that this is a Hazel Grove and not Stockport forum, but I hope our councillors Wragg, Hogg and Corris will pass on these thoughts.
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
23rd August 2012 at 6:42PM
Regardless of who paid for the Scrap Iron, the fact remains that the councillors are still there in front of them showboating their glory – despite the fictional information emanating from the accounts of their unaccountable ‘arms length’ organisations (to stretch an adjective).

It seems like a nice way to give your mates a job and for the councillors to hide from the responsibility of this gross mismanagement. What is the point of a ‘Scrutiny Committee’ if not to scrutinise the workings of these most obviously – let’s call them what they are: QANGO’s. Because by definition they actually are: Quasi Augmented None Governmental Organisations. Scrutinise them. Is this the first point at which this vast sum has been found to be missing? Or has it been building for some time on the QT – either way, insufficient scrutiny has been applied. This makes a nonsense of any saving which is alleged to be gained from such arms-length practices – when taxpayers money is put at risk.
Quash these QANGOs – a shameful disgrace...     Yes Vulcanman – heads MUST roll.

Stockport: Get your house in order.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
26th August 2012 at 10:39AM, Edit: 26th August 2012 at 10:45AM by vulcanman
How about an update Mr Devine? I assume it is right up your street to get to the bottom of this scandal … I’m sure I am not the only one who would like to see you make our Councillors and officials accountable. Actually I'd like to hear something from Boss Hogg and Mr Invisible Corris as well ... at least Cllr Wragg has advised us of his position ...
peterdevine123
Journalist

peterdevine123
29th August 2012 at 4:38PM
The latest news on the Solutions SK missing millions

THE leader of Stockport Council, has admitted that the Solutions SK £5m loss could result in job losses

For more read: Your text to link here...
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
29th August 2012 at 5:17PM
Any significant loss of money will result in either a cut in services or a loss of jobs - that's really stating the obvious.

Some quality journalistic reporting would come up with how it went missing or who benefited from it and who knew about it rather than just reporting on some obvious statement from an official! I suppose the days of investigative journalism is a thing of the past - too much effort these days.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>