Portas Pilot

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Portas Pilot
26th May 2012 at 8:52PM, Edit: 26th May 2012 at 8:55PM by Robot69
Well Stockport has got the 100K to do up Stockports shops and it will feature in an up coming TV program (probably of the local councillors eating and drinking 100K whilst they think of a cunning plan).

Just one question; is this to do up Mersey Way or shops in and around Stockport, including HG ?

Edit - Its for Underbank and the Market (I thought the Market had had loads just spent on it ?)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Portas Pilot
27th May 2012 at 8:38AM
The money is pretty negligible - 100k is not really a great deal. That's less than the Council wanted to spend bailing out County.

The only benefit I see from this is the advice and support the towns might get as a result.

Maybe someone ought to brought in to sort out the number of empty offices we have.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Drifter
27th May 2012 at 12:11PM
Yes the market hall has just had a fortune spent on it - AGAIN - some of us remember when it was renovated the first time and I still believe that the most appropriate thing to do with it would have been to demolish it and sell it for scrap. Whilst it may be a "Listed" Victorian structure it has ruined a mediaeval market place.

The thing that really gets my goat though is who is this Portas woman anyway? As far as I can see she's simply an air headed celebrity. (Celebrity = someone famous for being famous!) Apart from an honorary "Doctor of Letters" she seems to have no relevant qualifications whatsoever. Aparantly, she was once accepted on a drama course but didn't take it up. Why, therefore, is everyone so anxious to pay her to come along and fix something? Would you let an unqualified doctor operate on you? The age when people trusted Darren or Tracey at the local barbers to operate on them is long gone!

My prediction is that (i) she and whoever works with her will come up with the idea of using some of Stockport's 25% empty shops for other purposes and (ii) Tesco will latch on to this and realise that the overall amount of shopping floorspace in the town has been reduced and argue that they should be allowed to re-open the unoccupied bit at the western end of their shop - just wait and see!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
28th May 2012 at 12:12PM
This used to be my responsibility but we had a reshuffle and now I am responsible for public realm.
Oliver is right it is a small amount but it may enable the Council to lever in more money from elsewhere. What to do with this small amount is difficult to imagine it will make a difference.
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
28th May 2012 at 1:57PM
In my opinion Stockport buried its greatest asset under concrete!!

The source of the River Mersey!!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
28th May 2012 at 3:59PM
I agree with you now. But back then it was a smelly dirty drainage run.
However never say never
Expert
Drifter
28th May 2012 at 6:55PM
Whilst I agree with your sentiments Belvoir, I cannot agree with the facts.

The source of the Mersey is not buried under concrete. Neither is it squeezed between the M60 and Knightsbridge, where the Mresey is allegedly formed by Tame meeting the Goyt; as many would have you believe. The source of the Mersey is actually way up in Compstall where the Etherow joins forces the Goyt.

If you don't believe me, check any map prior to, say, 1900 for confirmation. The source of the Mersey appears to have been stolen by the old Stockport Borough Council some years before their abolition in 1974.

"Trust me, I'm an Expert."
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
28th May 2012 at 9:03PM
Do you know something we don't Kevin?
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
28th May 2012 at 10:20PM
Look out "Expert" seems like you're not the only expert in the village!

Google Mary Portas and check out her credentials before you call people names, she appears to be more of an "Expert" than perhaps you might be!

Isn't this money being used by a team to work out how to help Stockport get well again, i heard on the radio today that the council is matching the 100k and that Mary Portas is advising them on consumer and marketing trends.

Oliver! for once i fully agree with you, something should be done with the empty offices, why can't the rent and rates be reduced so that companies can afford them, must be better than no rent at all......
zzippy
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 12:05AM

Is She doing it for free or taking a big whackoff commission ?
Expert
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 9:03AM
sundave Wrote:

Look out "Expert" seems like you're not the only expert in the village!

Google Mary Portas and check out her credentials before you call people names, she appears to be more of an "Expert" than perhaps you might be!

Isn't this money being used by a team to work out how to help Stockport get well again, i heard on the radio today that the council is matching the 100k and that Mary Portas is advising them on consumer and marketing trends.

Oliver! for once i fully agree with you, something should be done with the empty offices, why can't the rent and rates be reduced so that companies can afford them, must be better than no rent at all......

OK - I've read her credentials and, from what I can see, she doesn't appear to have any formal qualifications; let alone any relevant to her being able to advise in a professional capacity. I don't think being a "celebrity" counts!

As for me, I have a post-graduate diploma in urban and regional planing so I'll leave it for you to decide who is most the qualified to comment.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>