Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

more than a third of shops are empty Stockport top

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

Fred
Drifter
Re: more than a third of shops are empty Stockport
8th February 2012 at 8:37PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

What a load of rubbish this is.

As usual why spoil a good story by telling the truth
stockport has at the time of this post only 17% empty shops I have walked round and counted them so believe cr** if you like but this survey is as bent as the previous one which said 1 in 4 were empty I disproved that at the time.

Why do people keep running down this great town.
we have about 1 in 6 empty and that includes areas ready for demolition for the new Sainsbury store and Grand central which is also ready for redevelopement(starts in a fortnight)come close.

So take this with a large bucket of salt as a pinch doesn,t

More spin...zzzz Back your statement up with facts Cllr, bring those misrepresenting the truth to account, why don't you?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Fred
Drifter
8th February 2012 at 8:44PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

...we have about 1 in 6 empty

"About 1 in 6"? Thatís a bit vague isn't it Cllr? You should know precisely if you've just walked around and counted them. Give us the numbers Cllr.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
slim
Townsperson

slim
8th February 2012 at 11:42PM
when i walk around the various shopping areas in stockport i don't get the impression that 30% are empty it is inevitable that high street shopping will decrease with the event of online shopping. i cant see how this can be avoided,
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
9th February 2012 at 8:46AM
I'm sure i can't be the only one who much prefers to shop in 'shops' rather then in a chair in front of a computer screen!

If the high street shops offer the customer a better experience at a comparable price then they will recover just fine!

The difficulty comes when they can't get close to the on-line prices often because their rent and/or RATES are so high. Although even as it stands you often can find prices very close to those found on-line, if you shop around.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th February 2012 at 10:17AM
Councillor Hogg - if this survey is wrong why don't you take a more reasoned approach to dismissing it?

Where has this survey gone wrong in acquiring data?

Also can you publish the Council's own data to justify your position?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
9th February 2012 at 10:55AM

Oliver, what would you do to regenerate Stockport if you got in at the next election and got handed this as a responsibility?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th February 2012 at 11:08AM
Fair question, Adora. Although me getting handed the portfolio is highly unlikely.

I would look at car parking charges in the town centre for one thing. I know the Council have run schemes at Christmas but we need something more long-term. Trafford Council run a good scheme in Altrincham where it is free before 9am and after 3pm - the "Free after 3" scheme.

We also need to look closely at local education and training - one of the reasons that the Sky influx of jobs never materialised was due to a pool of unskilled/under-qualified unemployed labour. I think the apprenticeship schemes are a step in the right direction but long over-due and not far enough.

I would also look at cutting rates of Council Tax, particularly for lower bands as they tend to be residential areas closer to the Town Centre and help boost consumer spending in Stockport.

Very rough but that would be my broad approach to that portfolio.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
9th February 2012 at 11:18AM, Edit: 9th February 2012 at 11:18AM by Adora

Agree with parking idea.
Agree with beefing up aprenticeship initiatives.
Agree with cutting council taxes for lower bands.

Would add:
Cutting rents/rates for businesses
Increase town policing
Put the bus laybys back in down the A6 so shoppers actually feel like driving in to Stockport rather than being put off by the A6 slalom.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th February 2012 at 11:24AM
Totally agree Adora, but I believe all those are under the control of the relevant Greater Manchester Authorities.

Correct me anyone if I am wrong?

Of course they can be lobbied for which I most certainly would do - if businesses won't come the logical solution is to make it cheaper/more attractive to do business.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
9th February 2012 at 12:57PM
OK people you wanted figures especially Oliver
Princes St 67 shops   12 empty = 18%
Underbanks/Merseyway/warren St 141 shops 15 empty =11%
Petersgate 37 shops 15 empty = 40%
Total nos 245 shops 42 empty = 17% overall

I have not included the area opposite the Peel Centre as this is deliberately empty waiting for Sainsbury`s relocation

This survey is blatantly wrong and was taken I believe just from a short walk on Petersgate. As I said don`t let the facts get in the way etc.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>