Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

more than a third of shops are empty Stockport top

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

adenough
Drifter
more than a third of shops are empty Stockport top
7th February 2012 at 1:04PM, Edit: 7th February 2012 at 1:12PM by Adora
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

This post has been removed by a Forum Moderator because it broke the house rules.

Reason: No idea what it is mean to be! Can’t see any relation to the thread what so ever!

adenough
Drifter
Re: more than a third of shops are empty Stockport
7th February 2012 at 4:45PM
This isnít new; there have been reports and warnings given to the council on this going back 5 years. In 2010 it was 1 in 5, 2011 1 in 4 now itís 1 in 3 SHAME ON YOU STOCKPORT COUNCIL.
Why havenít those that are supposed to represent this town done anything?
With Stockport council tax and business rates being one of the highest in greater Manchester, should this town be left to rot like this.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
7th February 2012 at 4:55PM
I think some of the problem is that the council have no incentive to lower rates, since they are still chargeable on empty property's!

Maybe if they couldn't make anything from any property's that are vacant then they would lower rates to encourage business to return to Stockport!

Another factor that can't help is the councils insistence on making it as hard as possible for people to get change of use from commercial to otherwise!
More and more empty units make the area less attractive to business which means more empty units. And the cycle goes on! At least if a few of the empty units could be used for alternative uses the area would look less like a shanty town and might actually appeal to people. That said, until the rates are dropped it will never provide value!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
mr pedantic
Drifter
7th February 2012 at 5:38PM
30.1% is not more than a third
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
deano
Drifter
8th February 2012 at 8:58AM
you have to look at the big stores in stockport like tesco which now sell products cheeper than most other shops,i managed to do most of my xmas shopping in there and then just walked across the road to the peel center to get the rest never going in to stockport center .also parking is free at tesco which makes a difference.rents are high and of course internet shopping has taken massive amounts of trade from the shops..i hate to say bet just think the situation will get worse and of course will make unemployment in the town worse.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Limecat
Banned
8th February 2012 at 9:33AM
Ah, the penny has finally dropped.

Thanks Scrooge (deano) for the Tesco 'value brand' biscuits at Christmas. Maybe push the boat out and go to the expense of buying some tags next year, eh?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
8th February 2012 at 1:40PM
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
deano
Drifter
8th February 2012 at 5:17PM
Limecat Wrote:

Ah, the penny has finally dropped.

Thanks Scrooge (deano) for the Tesco 'value brand' biscuits at Christmas. Maybe push the boat out and go to the expense of buying some tags next year, eh?

actually climate i buy my food from marks and spencer and a bit at asda im only a scrooge when i come to xmas presents.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
8th February 2012 at 6:53PM
What a load of rubbish this is.

As usual why spoil a good story by telling the truth
stockport has at the time of this post only 17% empty shops I have walked round and counted them so believe cr** if you like but this survey is as bent as the previous one which said 1 in 4 were empty I disproved that at the time.

Why do people keep running down this great town.
we have about 1 in 6 empty and that includes areas ready for demolition for the new Sainsbury store and Grand central which is also ready for redevelopement(starts in a fortnight)come close.

So take this with a large bucket of salt as a pinch doesn,t
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Ron
Drifter
8th February 2012 at 6:59PM
What redevelopment is happening to Grand Central?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>