Citizen

glenandem
More cuts on the way for Stockport!
9th February 2013 at 8:11AM
Stockport council set to axe 174 jobs and scrap services in £12m cuts
JENNIFER WILLIAMS
PUBLISHED: 8 FEB 2013 13:07
UPDATED: 8 FEB 2013 13:07

Stockport council plans to axe 174 more jobs, cut library opening hours and hike parking charges in a new £12m cuts package.

After-school clubs, holiday play schemes and a youth centre will also be scrapped as the council tries to balance its books.

Council bosses also want to save £1m from a £5m parks budget by asking voluntary groups to take over some work.

The measures are the latest phase of a two-year cuts plan which began last summer.

Then, town hall chiefs laid out £16m of savings, including 145 job losses.

They say the latest raft aims to slash back-office budgets while protecting the vulnerable – but opponents say it is the ‘disintegration’ of local government.

Under the proposals – to be considered next week – dozens of fees and charges will increase.

Meals-on-wheels prices will rise from £4.50 to £5, and three, six and 12-month parking permits in Marple Bridge, Bramhall and Cheadle district centres will rise by an average of 22pc.

A new policy will see ice cream vans charged £1,000 and burger vans £2,000 to stop in council parks, while allotment, sports pitch and taxi license charges will all increase.

Some £625,000 will be wiped off the libraries budget by cutting opening hours and staff – but no closures are planned. Werneth youth centre is expected to shut and move elsewhere.

The council’s 10-strong executive – the equivalent of the government’s cabinet – would also be cut to eight, saving £73,000.

Liberal Democrat council leader Sue Derbyshire said: “We are facing difficult decisions, but we are doing that within the principles we have laid out about protecting the vulnerable.”

If agreed next week, the proposals will be put out to consultation later this month and reconsidered in July.

But Andrew Verdeille, leader of Stockport’s Labour opposition group, slammed many of the proposals as ‘vague’.

He added: “What we’re seeing is the disintegration of local government in Stockport.

“The cuts the Lib Dems have announced fall hardest on young people, the vulnerable and dedicated council staff.”
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
yetty
Villager

yetty
Re: More cuts on the way for Stockport!
9th February 2013 at 9:01AM
and putting up car park charges will help stop shops closing HOW?also reducing library opening hours is going to improve literacy NOT.
slim
Townsperson

slim
9th February 2013 at 9:13AM
All these cuts and job loses and we still have 60+ cllrs running little stockport why are they not cutting back on the number of cllrs ?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
9th February 2013 at 9:14AM
It's difficult staying positive in the light of all these cut backs. I just hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

However I can't help but wonder if we were all to become a little more pro-active what savings could be made.

Say for instant we were each responsible for keeping the pavement and the gutter clean at the front of our home, how much money would that save. I regularly pick up cans and litter that have been left on the road were I live. Just because I hate to see the area looking scruffy.

I'd gladly be responsible for cleaning the pavement if it meant keeping open some of the facilities that we really need. I'd sooner do something positive rather than nothing at all.

I do feel that we rely too heavily on waiting for things to be done for us that years ago we used to have the pride to do for ourselves.

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
9th February 2013 at 1:20PM
slim Wrote:

All these cuts and job loses and we still have 60+ cllrs running little stockport why are they not cutting back on the number of cllrs ?

It probably needs 59 councillors just to reply to all of Sheila Olivers letters...

This post has been deleted by the author.

RichT
Townsperson

RichT
9th February 2013 at 5:10PM
If only we could have a council tax meter like for Gas/water, I would only be paying for what I use and my annual bill could be less than a tenner.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
9th February 2013 at 6:39PM
I started to list the things the Council does and what we get for around £25 a week per house hold but I wrote so much it got too long so I leave it to you Rich T you really take the biscuit
Rubbish removed
Kids educated
Parks to play in and enjoy
allotments to grow in
St lights to keep us safe
roads repaired, well eventually I hear you say,
Elderley people looked after
Streets kept reasonably clean
Police
Ambulance
Fire brigade it is all in there
This list isn`t even started
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
9th February 2013 at 8:33PM
hi cllr hogg,thats all well and good but for me its the silly things like the solutions sk fiasco,closing hazel grove tip that was very well used and hazel grove residents having to travel to marple now instead,yes a few miles but its still a few miles and the tip was well used by many and was closed without residents being asked about oppinions,the bin collections are no good for me and many other families that need the black bin collecting more often that fortnightly due to being as small as the rest, i dont have to put my blue bin or brown bin out every two weeks as they last four weeks so why not change the collection on them?schools closed and classes getting bigger and i know were having cut backs but why isnt there people at the top being cut,why didnt people like sue derbyshire lose her job over 4.5 mill or whatever the figure was,somone should have been held accountable for not overseeing that shabang!
in your personal oppinion do you think our council has looked after every penny well and do you think the fact the council is upping the c.tax is to try to make that money back that was lost from shoddy management and how can we being having cutbacks for all these services when the c.tax is going up,thats not value for money?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
9th February 2013 at 8:35PM
also what does the tax on fuel and road tax pay for,dont they pay towards our road management?
<< 1 2 >>