Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Man outside Stockport Town Hall

Rachel
Drifter
Man outside Stockport Town Hall
21st June 2008 at 8:11PM
I have driven past this man standing on the steps of the Town Hall on Edward St for a while now. He is holding a sign saying "Hello how are you"

Does anyone know why he is there?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Dominic
Drifter
Re: Man outside Stockport Town Hall
22nd July 2008 at 6:02PM
I've seen this guy a few times, don't know what its about, don't think its Iraq or governmental, but I remember Kerry Katona Chatting with him when she was buying a car over the road, guess she was so excited she would talk to anyone..
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Joelion
Drifter
20th August 2008 at 10:32AM
Is he still there? I saw a a guy dressed as Mike Skinner outside stockport town hall once. We need more characters like that around.
Susy
Idler

Susy
9th February 2009 at 9:28AM
The man outside Stockport Town Hall is there doing a protest.
Gerry
Villager

Gerry
26th February 2009 at 11:50AM
What is he protesting about?
11th June 2009 at 8:29PM
Iíve spoken to this man-he is now (June 09) protesting at Stockport Library after being warded off the Town Hall area. His name is Parnell. He is well spoken, articulate and friendly and not some lone nut. In essence, he feels abandoned by Stockport Council who have refused to assist him. He and his wife adopted two children, who, unbeknownst to them, had severe behavioural problems, which they could not cope with and which the Council have refused to help him with. He has been treated very heavy handedly by SC -threatened with violence by SC security guards (all captured on film and verifiable) and even arrested for breach of the peace, all of which is laughable because heís a gentle softly spoken bloke who poses no threat to anyone.
When you consider the history of Stockport and itís long ties with Painite radicalism from William Dugdale onwards, itís truly shaming that this man is being bullied by the Council elders for what is a completely peaceful protest. The Council are also wasting money all the time by calling the Police out repeatedly when this man poses no threat to anyone (where are the coppers at night when drunken louts make the place a no go area??) All in all, a sad state of affairs that reflects very badly on the Council. I wish I could help him-get the local press involved-anythingÖ.
21st October 2009 at 4:45PM
The man is indeed a peaceful protester and now banned from going within one mile of Stockport centre or any council buildings.

The man is ghandi-like in his protest, peaceful, respectful but abused as the video footage on youtube now shows.

Stockport Council have a diversity policy. Their security have abused the peaceful protester Michael Parnell with threats of violence and homophobic language.

Injustice?

See the video footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksF64KYpDlM&feature=channel

Sheila
Idler

Sheila
10th November 2009 at 3:18PM
Mr. Parnell, who is a gentle, peaceful, kind and considerate man asked for help for a decade from the Council on a matter which was of importance to his family. The council did nothing to help, so he decided to emulate his hero, Brian Haw, the Parliamentary peaceful protester, and stand on the town hall steps till they did help him. The council called the police 91 times, he was arrested 13 times, had one court case dropped on the day of the hearing. He was taken to court for an alleged pre-swine flu sneeze, which did not show up on the CCTV footage of the incident. The Magistrates, who have close links with the council, refused to allow the CCTV evidence to be shown. The gave him a 2 year CRASBO (criminal ASBO not to go within a mile of the town hall). He had a human right to attend council meetings, which he did. One night I was there when a police car was parked outside with blue flashing lights, so it had been called as an emergency. Mr Parnell was sent to prison (Forrest Bank - not a cushy one) for breach of his CRASBO in using the town hall public lavatory (remember, with the police called as an emergency). Eventually he was released from prison. He later went to the police station to report a crime (Stockport police don't answer the phone). He sat on a bench outside the town hall to take a stone out of his shoe. Someone at the council spotted him and reported him to the police for breach of bail conditions in not going within a mile of the town hall. He was sent back to prison by Stockport Magistrates. His solicitor got a judge to release him on grounds of his very poor health. The police tried to arrest him again in the middle of the night in his own home because his tagging equipment was faulty. The Crown Prosecution Service, knowing him to be a sick man, tried and tried to get him sent back to prison for this latest 'offence'. Fortunately, this time the magistrates used some sense and refused.   He is now under 2 years house arrest 8am to 8pm - can't go to a doctor even - all because he asked our council for help. How much has all this cost us as taxpayers? Goodness knows. Will all this appalling treatment lead to his death - possibly, he is a sick man. The LibDem councillors were fully aware of what was going on because he tried to bring it to their attention and I tried to bring it to their attention without success. I remember when he told them in a full council meeting that the security guards had threatened to kill him (please see You Tube clip for evidence) http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPeacefulprotester,
the LibDem councillors ridiculed and demeaned him further.

I know him to be an honest and decent man, a man who has simple intelligence, strength of character and integrity. I am afraid the same cannot be said for the very senior councillor officers and LibDem councillors who have sealed his fate.

Part of..