10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Luftwaffe bomber shot down over Hazel Grove

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
Luftwaffe bomber shot down over Hazel Grove
7th January 2014 at 1:36PM, Edit: 7th January 2014 at 1:37PM by MJCorrigan
In the early hours of 8 May 1941, a Heinkel bomber of Hitler’s Luftwaffe became the only enemy aircraft to be shot down over Greater Manchester. Engines ablaze, it streaked across the Stockport sky before crashing in flames into a farm field at Torkington Road, Hazel Grove – just behind Stockport Golf Course, for those who know the area. Thanks to a combination of wartime censorship and misreporting at the time, the story has been largely forgotten.

I have written a short book about the event. At 46 pages it’s a manageable size. There are lots of original photographs and it’s been described as ‘gripping’ and ‘well worth a read’.

Though World War Two was a long time ago, our servicemen and women are still placed in harm’s way every day. Each November, funds are rightly raised for those who have suffered dreadful injury. But not all wounds can be seen. There is a lack of care for those who made it home still carrying an intolerably heavy burden.

For every copy sold I will make a donation to the charity Combat Stress. Combat Stress looks after the wellbeing of UK servicemen and women who are suffering with mental health problems.

Thank you for reading.

Details of the book can be found here.

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
Re: Luftwaffe bomber shot down over Hazel Grove
8th January 2014 at 12:39AM
This is very interesting. I wasn't born then but enjoy hearing what happened at the time.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
8th January 2014 at 8:40AM
Thanks.

I wasn't born either. As I said, the story has been largely forgotten (even the people at Stockport Air Raid Shelter Tours were unaware of it). Many of those who had heard about it had incorrect information based on handed-down stories etc. Hopefully I've managed to do it justice - I found some actual eye-witnesses. One thing is for certain - the people of Hazel Grove were very lucky that night. If the bomber hadn't crashed where it did the story would have been very different.
slim
Townsperson

slim
8th January 2014 at 2:14PM
Hi Mathew I've just ordered your book and look forward to an interesting read .
MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
9th January 2014 at 7:40PM
slim Wrote:

Hi Mathew I've just ordered your book and look forward to an interesting read .

Thank you. I hope you enjoy it. I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it. If you'd like to leave comments, there's a Facebook page here:

Facebook
slim
Townsperson

slim
11th January 2014 at 9:49PM
Hi Mathew great read really informative and interesting account of a part of hazel grove history many people won't know about.