A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Is Marple to posh for an ASDA store?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Is Marple to posh for an ASDA store?
3rd September 2012 at 1:51PM
Robot69 Wrote:

Not off the mark if you read all my post

"As for gridlock, I'd argue (as I don't have actual facts, but nor do you) that the central stretch of the A6 hasn't become gridlock because of Sainsburys"

I was basically saying the traffic is generally pass through traffic and NOT caused by Sainsburys/ASDA as has previously been stated.

The gridlock that occurs now when passing through the Grove has been caused as a result of a bottle neck situation which resulted from poor planning and the introduction of extra traffic lights and junctions to assist in stemming the flow of traffic into and out of the ASDA and the Sainsbury's stores. Granted before then the traffic passed slowly through the Grove (as there was only two sets of traffic lights) but it was certainly never as bad as it is now.

However I can't help but feel that Andrew Stunnell must have been fully aware of the potential hazards of allowing such developements to go ahead and yet choose to ignore them back.

I feel that instead of Andrew looking to block the Marpe development by waving a banner about the mistakes of the past, perhaps it might be a good idea to not make the mistakes in the first place. However on a postive note perhaps the planning mistakes that where made in the Grove, the ones that Andrew is now suddenly aware of, could now be put right when developing the new store in Marple.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
3rd September 2012 at 2:26PM
Robot69 Wrote:

I was basically saying the traffic is generally pass through traffic and NOT caused by Sainsburys/ASDA as has previously been stated.

Fair enough then, i hadn't got that from your posts. But having re-read with that in mind, i now see what you were saying!

I agree with Serenity, that it is infact the amount of lights and general bad planning of the roads that has lead to the 'gridlock' that often occurs!

The A6 through the whole of Stockport has always been busy for as long as i can remember, but since all the lights were added in the grove in addition to the car lot's using the A6 in great moor as a car park, it has become all but unusable as a road at times especially weekends!
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
3rd September 2012 at 2:59PM
TBH - I don't think the extra set of lights at ASDA are producing a bottleneck as they are only on Red for a short period of time. During peak times you generally can't get 30+mph down that stretch so pausing for a couple of mins allows for a gap between the Q's and then you simply catch up. The e-2-e time from Stepping Hill to the Rising Sun is probably no different (it feels like that but I've not got any before/after timings).

I do remember a certain Cllr saying he was going to have a set of pedestrian lights switched of for a period. Never saw it myself and I've not seem any comments to say he did it or anyone else commenting on it.
Grovebyproxy
3rd September 2012 at 4:25PM
It's ridiculous, the Co-op there is constantly busy. The only difference Asda would make is better pricing !
kadoma
Villager

kadoma
9th September 2012 at 2:47PM, Edit: 9th September 2012 at 7:45PM by kadoma
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
9th September 2012 at 3:04PM
Wouldn't suprise me if co op are funding the no campaign!
They're on a good thing being the main supermarket in marple, most people I speak to from marple and the surrounding areas think it's needed, to me it mainly seems its the people who live right next door don't want it and rightly so!
Who wants a big supermarket right on your doorstep just ask the residents of hazel grove who live in the misery of other people from areas further than hazel grove come and help cause more congestion!!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
9th September 2012 at 10:40PM

I don't know if Marple needs another supermarket or not but I do think Marple as it stands is a really well serviced village. Just about everything you can need is there and it's a pretty nice environment to shop in, IME. HG is just too linear and the A6 just too busy (thunderous). I'll have to hold my hands up and admit I loathe shopping in HG. Mind, I loathe shopping full-stop, so perhaps my opion is skewed on this!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
10th September 2012 at 5:39PM
Adora Wrote:

I don't know if Marple needs another supermarket or not but I do think Marple as it stands is a really well serviced village. Just about everything you can need is there and it's a pretty nice environment to shop in, IME. HG is just too linear and the A6 just too busy (thunderous). I'll have to hold my hands up and admit I loathe shopping in HG. Mind, I loathe shopping full-stop, so perhaps my opion is skewed on this!

I've got to disagree with you there Adora, I think Marple does actually need another supermarket. Whilst there might be some choice provided from smaller local shops the prices for their groceries etc are far to high as there is no real competition, hence why residents shop further afield.

Plus you have to agree Adora that the village needs more jobs which a store of this size would provide, that's why I thought the local Councillor would have been behind this scheme and not against it.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
11th September 2012 at 11:09PM
Disagree with what, Serenity? I said I didn't know if Marple needed another supermarket or not. I just said I found it to be a nice environment in which to shop with a good range of goods and services on offer.

<< 1 2 >>