This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 >>

ReallyGood
Idler

ReallyGood
Help Stockport win electric car charging points
4th April 2012 at 9:32AM
Hi everyone

You might have seen the news story on this website about how our website, TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk is taking part in a competition to win 30 quick chargers for electric cars for Stockport. We are a Hazel Grove-based firm and we are hoping to get everyone behind us to help us win.

There is also a chance for you to win an electric car, the Nissan LEAF or a brand new iPad if you take part in The Big Turn On comp run by Nissan.

Please tweet #NissanLEAFcar26 or retweet one of our competition tweets from @greencarwebsite. Alternatively click on 'The Big Turn On' banner on our website, www.TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk or visit http://the-big-turn-on.co.uk/challenge/blogger/faye-john-sunderland-simpson.html. Full T&Cs on the The Big Turn On website. Just a quick note to say we are not personally responsible for the comp, Nissan is. But please do get behind us and help Stockport and Hazel Grove plug into the power of electric cars. Look out for our specially liveried car this week and next in the Grove!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
Re: Help Stockport win electric car charging point
4th April 2012 at 2:00PM, Edit: 4th April 2012 at 2:00PM by TallPaul
Retweeted for the competition but in reality will this work?

Outside of London I have only rarely seen one of these used. I lived in Austria for 12 months they seem to be pretty big on it, the town I stayed in and all the surrounding villages also and I only ever saw one car being charged by one.

How long before the charging station is vandalised/redesigned by local grafitti artists?

How long before a visiting 'traveller' manages to tap into the supply?

What are the incurred charges out of interest?

Oh well atleast if I win a Nissan Leaf I can sell it to go and buy.. something which isn't a Nissan Leaf

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Drifter
4th April 2012 at 2:41PM
ReallyGood Wrote:

Hi everyone

You might have seen the news story on this website about how our website, TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk is taking part in a competition to win 30 quick chargers for electric cars for Stockport. We are a Hazel Grove-based firm and we are hoping to get everyone behind us to help us win.

There is also a chance for you to win an electric car, the Nissan LEAF or a brand new iPad if you take part in The Big Turn On comp run by Nissan.

Please tweet #NissanLEAFcar26 or retweet one of our competition tweets from @greencarwebsite. Alternatively click on 'The Big Turn On' banner on our website, www.TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk or visit http://the-big-turn-on.co.uk/challenge/blogger/faye-john-sunderland-simpson.html. Full T&Cs on the The Big Turn On website. Just a quick note to say we are not personally responsible for the comp, Nissan is. But please do get behind us and help Stockport and Hazel Grove plug into the power of electric cars. Look out for our specially liveried car this week and next in the Grove!
Confused, does clicking the "turn on" button win a new car for you?
HG-21
Banned
4th April 2012 at 8:03PM
Appreciate you are local. So I've voted.
I just don't support electric cars at the moment. They are too far away from actual full time use. 14 hour charge times or something silly and low distance coverage.
In 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people were driving them, technology just isn't ready yet.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
5th April 2012 at 9:03AM
Personally i'm convinced that it will be Hydrogen fuel cell cars we will all be driving in the future! All it will take is a break through in Hydrogen creation (not the right word, but you know what i mean)!

As soon as someone comes up with a way to efficiently and greenly collect Hydrogen in large quantities then that's it cracked.
vege
Drifter
5th April 2012 at 10:45PM
can someone tell me how anyone living on a street with no driveway or in a tower block is supposed to charge one of these electric cars.also what happens after a few years when the battery goes west,it costs half the price of the car.Just not practical.
ReallyGood
Idler

ReallyGood
11th April 2012 at 2:56PM
Thanks very much everyone who has voted.

Obviously there are still misunderstanding surrounding electric cars; it doesn't take fourteen hours a day to charge. The LEAF takes around eight, less if you can use a higher voltage. That might sound a lot, but just think how long your car is stationary each day (at work and at home in the evenings).

The simple answer for those without a charging solution at the moment, is simply; don't buy one. It won't suit everyone especially at the moment (but we can help Stockport get there). We don't sell electric cars (EVs), or any car for that matter, so I am being impartial on this, but electric cars are great for those who can, especially at a cost of around 2 pence a mile for electricity.

Next time there was a fuel strike or threat thereof, you'd be laughing!

Hydrogen would be great, but while there aren't many EV charging points, there are even less hydrogen fuelling stations (1 in the UK at the mo') and no hydrogen cars are planned to launch until earliest of 2014.

Hope that answers some questions. For those who haven't voted yet visit: www.nissan.co.uk/thebigturnon/26

Thanks!

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
11th April 2012 at 7:30PM, Edit: 11th April 2012 at 7:33PM by OliverJohnstone
I've voted and shared the link on my Facebook profile.

Great idea - yeah it's not going to solve all our environmental problems but good to see a local business being proactive!

Best of luck!

P.S Given your website a tweet to my army (sarcasm) of Twitter followers. They'll be relieved to see that I can tweet about more than just football and politics.
ReallyGood
Idler

ReallyGood
12th April 2012 at 2:03PM
Brilliant, thanks very much. It is all much appreciated.

This post has been removed by a Forum Moderator because it broke the house rules.

Reason: Spam

Debbieh
Villager

Debbieh
8th May 2012 at 1:16PM
They have them all over Nice, like Velo-Bleu, You can hire them for the day and plug them back into municiple sockets..... though never able to work out how far you would have to go out of your way to plug it in if your local ones were being used
<< 1 2 >>