A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

GARNERS LANE - OLD HOUSE NEXT TO CHURCH

Cammie
Idler

Cammie
GARNERS LANE - OLD HOUSE NEXT TO CHURCH
29th August 2010 at 12:13PM
I've posted this on the Looking For section too as I'm pretty desperate for photos, info etc.
Basically, I'm talking about the old derelict 1930s house that stood in the middle of Garners Lane next to the little church (no 68). It was demolished in 1997 to make way for the little street that's there now but it used to belong to my Great Aunt Elizabeth Wheelton and her husband Walter Wheelton.
Elizabeth fell in love with the house when it was being built and she and Walter originally lived a few doors down towards Adswood Primary School and they bought it from the original owners ( I think they were called Mr and Mrs Faust - Mrs Faust was called Rita) and Elizabeth continued to live there after Walter's death and she took in lodgers I believe to enable her to keep the house and I believe she left them the house when she died.
The last residents of the house were James and Louie Dale and my Dad tried to buy the house in 1978 to get it back into the family as my Grandma was close to Elizabeth and dreamed of buying the house a few years after Elizabeth's death.
Anyway, I am absolutely desperate for ANY photos of the house (it doesn't matter if it was taken when the house was occupied or when it was boarded up) and I would consider paying a fair price for a good enough photo!
I'm also interested in talking to anyone who remembers this house or who lived there and I'm aware there used to be rumours and urban legends surrounding this house so would be interested to hear those too.
Really hope someone can help on this as it would mean so much to my Grandma.
I've already searched Stockport Library but didn't really find anything at all - not even records of its demolition.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Cammie
Idler

Cammie
Re: GARNERS LANE - OLD HOUSE NEXT TO CHURCH
29th August 2010 at 12:16PM
I also seem to recall a squatter lived there for a while in the early 80s who had a purple Mini
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  

Part of..