Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

DID YOU KNOW STANLEY GITTINGS,PLEASE HELP!!

Bella1612
Idler

Bella1612
DID YOU KNOW STANLEY GITTINGS,PLEASE HELP!!
16th May 2013 at 3:40AM
Hello to all,
I am from Melbourne,Australia and I am new to this forum for Stockport.
I have been researching my ancestors in England especially my Grandfather Stanley Gittings who was b1903 Chorlton - d1962 Stockport.
Stanley lived in Australia from 1922-32 before returning to England. Stanley's parents were Fred and Jane(nee Oldham) and he had one brother Fred.I am seeking any information or a photo of Stanley for my Mother who never knew him as he departed Australia when she was 3yrs old.
I have tried different message boards and Ancestry Sites but to no avail.
I do not wish to upset or offend anyone and I do apologise if I have done so as all I am seeking is some information about my Grandfather for not only me but mainly my Mum.
I thankyou for taking the time to read this and do hope someone maybe able to help in some way.
Regards Mila
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
soapy_duck
Villager

soapy_duck
Re: DID YOU KNOW STANLEY GITTINGS,PLEASE HELP!!
16th May 2013 at 11:43AM
Hi Mila,

Unfortunately I have never heard of your Grandfather, however a quick Ancestery search and found records for births registered in July/Aug/Sept 1903 and death Dec 1962, that matched Stanley Gitting but the 1911 census indicating a Stanley Gitting born 1904 in Gorton to parents Fred and Jane. (Obviously with records so old there are likely to be discrepancies, however I think they probably actually all match up because the 1911 census was done in april 1911 and Stanley was listed as being 7 years old, but if he was born in September 1903, then he would be 7 at that time as his birthday was after the census, but census record info has to approximate dates. If that makes sense).

Have you seen the 1911 census record? There is a little bit of information on there about Stanley's parents that may be of interest to you.

Good luck with your search.
Bella1612
Idler

Bella1612
16th May 2013 at 5:49PM
Hello Soapy Duck,

Thankyou for your reply to my post.I have a Family Tree on Ancestry and have searched many other Ancestry sites and you are correct in saying that there are some discrepancies in ages,names and dates so I ordered certificates for some members of my family to be certain.
I do know that Stanley worked as a gardener at the Botanical Gardens Stockport maybe in the 1950s and before that his occupation before was listed as a Travelling Salesman but I am not sure where he was living. We have very limited information about all of this as all my Mother has is her Birth Certificate with her Fathers name and Signature and unfortunately when Stanley went back to England in 1932 my Grandmother would not discuss the matter ever again.
Stockport was Stanleys last place of residence before he died and his brother Fred and his wife lived there as well so I can only hope for something :)
I thankyou for taking the time to read and reply to my post and thankyou for your good wishes.

Kind Regards Mila
grover
Townsperson

grover
20th May 2013 at 2:38AM
There is a family called Gittings in Hazel Grove. Wonder if they are relatives?