Cash for County

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

elfa
Villager

elfa
Cash for County
22nd June 2011 at 10:55AM
I see Councillor Goddard and the Lib Dems want to give 40,000 to Stockport County. This is after they gave a one-off donation of 80,000 last year. What is it with them wanting to pump money into this club, when people are losing their jobs through cut-backs etc. Things must be bad when they are laying off the lollipop lady at Norbury School next month. Yet the Lib Dems still want to throw thousands and thousands of pounds at a club that the majority of people couldn't care less about !. The mind boggles.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Cash for County
22nd June 2011 at 12:01PM
I have to agree, Councils have no place sponsoring football clubs. Even if we were in fluent times i'd be against it!

As much as i'd hate to see them go under (i've been to a fair few games over the years), if thats the way the business is going then why the hell should public money be used to delay the inevitable!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
22nd June 2011 at 1:59PM
As much as it saddens me to say, to give this money to County, is bad financial business. If for no other reason than that the present backroom managerial regime seems, to me at least, to have no financial acumen whatsoever, what ever anyone else says, it was they, and not the manager or players that got them into this mess, with no money to bring in new players, these people, through various managers, expected them to work miracles to keep the club in the Football league, now they expect a second handout from the Council, if that were to happen, how would those who have recently been made redundant, by said Council feel, if it was me my respones would be unprintable, so sorry County I am with Andy Vedeille.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd June 2011 at 6:50AM
The annoying thing about this issue is that it is simply part of one giant political game from the Liberal Democrats. As I understand it the Council Executive could give County this money as an Executive decision without a need for a vote. It must therefore beg the question that why do a local party who don't have a great track record for pursuing fullest democracy in local government, want a vote?

They want to be seen as the defenders of County in the face of Labour & Conservative attacks. Where do most County supporters live? In the Liberal Democrat and Labour marginal seats.

It is simply common sense that when we are losing lollipop ladies, carers etc, and cutting local services, we cannot both morally and practically be pumping money into an organisation which is not financially viable.

It is extremely sad what has happened to County but it would be irresponsible to use taxpayer's money simply for short term political gain. You cannot and should not play politics with peoples' jobs, livelihoods and more importantly the peoples' money!
slim
Townsperson

slim
23rd June 2011 at 7:51AM
i am an ardent county fan but to put public money into the black hole that is s.c.f.c would be madness its not that labour and conservatives don't support county but the money is needed for more important issues. is it me or is this the lib dems feeling the pressure and trying to do anything that may get them back in the electorates good books.
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
23rd June 2011 at 8:22AM, Edit: 23rd June 2011 at 8:20AM by Prodigal
slim Wrote:

i am an ardent county fan but to put public money into the black hole that is s.c.f.c would be madness its not that labour and conservatives don't support county but the money is needed for more important issues. is it me or is this the lib dems feeling the pressure and trying to do anything that may get them back in the electorates good books.

The above sounds , very much, like the voice of logic, well said slim,as sad as it is to see the old Lady in such a sorry state, I hope, as far as County supporters go, you're not alone in you'r thinking, as for the Lib-Dems getting back in go books, I think that would only happen if they stood down and, eventually disappeared up their own ambition.
Climate
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 12:15PM
It's all about balance and harmony.

Sadly the SCUM won the Premiership and the blue vermin managed to buy the FA Cup, so in order to restore balance I need County to go bankrupt.

You're going bump with the Greeks!
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
23rd June 2011 at 1:28PM

What are you on about you nutter? If it's all about balance and harmony, then you need County to get going good again and to win some silverware to complete the trinity! At the moment, they have dipped below the axis and are, therefore, creating a negative affect across what should otherwise be linear perfection!

Tsk! Did you only show up at school to get your mark in the register?!

The Council can put money in but until they get some benefactor or forward thinking business person to bail 'em, they're scuppered. Y'd think yer man from Sale Sharks could do a bit more though, eh?
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
23rd June 2011 at 2:07PM
Guest Wrote:

Sadly the SCUM won the Premiership and the blue vermin managed to buy the FA Cup, so in order to restore balance I need County to go bankrupt.

Please, don't interrupt while the grown ups are talking.
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 2:30PM
Prodigal Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Please, don't interrupt while the grown ups are talking.

I knew the day would come when I'd see Climate shot down in flames.......
Climate
Drifter
23rd June 2011 at 3:59PM
Adora Wrote:

What are you on about you nutter? If it's all about balance and harmony, then you need County to get going good again and to win some silverware to complete the trinity! At the moment, they have dipped below the axis and are, therefore, creating a negative affect across what should otherwise be linear perfection!

Tsk! Did you only show up at school to get your mark in the register?!

The Council can put money in but until they get some benefactor or forward thinking business person to bail 'em, they're scuppered. Y'd think yer man from Sale Sharks could do a bit more though, eh?

County are part of the trio that I want wiped off the face of the earth. Horrid club with horrid fans with a horrid ground in a horrid area, but on my hatred scale they are behind the likes of ManUre and the Blue Vermin.

Complete what trinity? The trinity of teams that purchase success? No thanks, I would rather an Arsenal, a West Brom or a Wolves picked up something whilst Old Trafford and that council property that the blue vermin play in burn't to the ground.

I even support the Germans in Europe when they get ManUre. It will be double fun when some German efficiency bins the 'wanna-be ManUre' lot out of the Champions league next season and their FA Cup goes to a London team. Better still, one of them falls out of the top 4!

I cannot wait. Then the Blue Vermin owners get bored, City get wiped out, ManUre miss out on something and the club debt engulfs them, oh it would be amazing!

THEN hopefully football can go back to being run in a prudent manner rather being being full of toss-pots racing their cheque books for trophies? It's teams like that messing it up, at least Arsenal compete whilst running an amazing business model plus the manager isn't a grade A spanner that fathered a wife-beater.

'Darren Ferguson beats his wife!'    

Should the council help? No, county are already a mess so don't need any further help...
<< 1 2 3 >>