10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Bridgefield development in Stockport

<< 1 2 >>

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
Bridgefield development in Stockport
24th September 2012 at 9:47PM

Not really getting this Bridgefield idea. Here's a link Bridgefield development Council buying property

If the council develop around Debenhams and entice the cinema down there - what will happen to Grand Central? Does Stockport need a night time economy? Where's the money coming from to buy these shops - I thought we (the council) was skint?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
GroverGuy
Unverified

GroverGuy
Re: Bridgefield development in Stockport
25th September 2012 at 10:04AM
i think this is a good idea as I tend to avoid grand central like the plague, have done for years. i'm not sure if you're aware adore, but half of grand central has now been demolished as part of this. i think it is better to have everything in one spot rather than scattered around stockport centre. and i think this quote sums things up.

Tory leader Coun Syd Lloyd added: "The Bridgefield development can’t really go ahead unless the council has ownership or control of the shops. It’s a must-have in terms of the development."
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
25th September 2012 at 4:37PM
It's impossible to pass judgement on the merits of it all without a lot more detail. But in theory it could be a smart move!

IF they are successful in creating an area within the town centre itself with night life then it could help to revive the town and more importantly prove fairly profitable for the council.

That is of course making several assumptions, not least that the money being spent is not being provided by unserviceable loans!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
25th September 2012 at 7:12PM
From the same Council that brought you such classic ideas as:

- Bailing out Stockport County
- The £5m+ black hole in SSK

0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
25th September 2012 at 7:49PM

Hmm, well, I've done a bit of searching and found some good links which show in more detail what the idea is and what it's about.

To be fair, I think I could be swayed in favour of this!

Links here for those interested:-

Bridgefield artist impression...

Bridgefield FAQ

Bridgefield - bit of background

Some councillor is driving this through and it's going to take some doing - hats off to him or her if they can achieve it. I reckon this is about to take over at least 5 years of someone's life!
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
26th September 2012 at 12:29PM
and the same council which signed contracts with 'Stockport Sports Trust' (yet another council owned company) such that schools with a sports centre on site run by these buffoons are out of pocket big time with souring energy costs. SST only pay for the energy they use at 2002 prices! So money meant for education is subsidising SST.

Would love to hear 'Boss Hoggs' view on this.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
27th September 2012 at 12:23PM
Looking at the "Artist Impressions" it looks very interesting (though I doubt it will end up looking like that), but like Coleman reserve judgement until things get moving.

I've been saying for years that Stockports centre is in dire need of modernising, I don't want to go shopping out in the rain, which is why I tend to go to the Trafford Centre, though I do most of my shopping online like most people.

I am also another person who doesn't use Grand Central, Stockport doesn't even come to mind when I want to go to the cinema. Looking at the plans, you can drive up and park on the roof of the cinema and walk in without getting wet!

I assume from Oliver's comment that the Conservatives were not involve in this project at all? Do all of your comments have to be political Oliver?
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
27th September 2012 at 9:34PM
I thought the cllr involved with if is the same cllr who was running Stockport roads planning the last few years? If this is true than I don't fancy it's chances, he'll probably put traffic islands where there not needed and extra traffic lights in the cinema to cause more congestion but leave the potholes in the floor lol!
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
29th September 2012 at 10:23AM
I was not involved in the decision on this. I cannot speak for my Conservative colleagues on the Council and indeed I do not.

That said, yes I agree with the regeneration of Stockport town centre and agree with your comments satirical. However, we have among the highest number of empty shops, commercial units and office spaces in the country. To add to that the Council is buying the Debenhams lease - an investment that carries a risk that no amount of political spin can avoid. All this to regenerate one particular section of the town centre.

The great temptation with this issue is to assume that this is a solution to the wider problem which it is not. It looks great on paper but will it work? What about the rest of the town centre that lies empty or unused? What is being offered here that is not already that will pull people in?

Also I am not persuaded by the argument that we have to buy a £9m lease to redevelop the Bridgefield site.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
2nd October 2012 at 3:27PM
I think one thing Stockport town centre is in desperate need of is some form of draw!

At present Stockport town centre consists of shops, a small hand full off restaurants (just outside Merseyway) and the odd pub. When you compare that to out of town shopping centres, or even some other town centres its clear where Stockport is loosing out.

For example, whenever i visit the town centre, i go visit the shop/shops that i need too and then leave! There is nothing there to give me any reason to hang about there. If there were decent eateries, a cinema, bowling, etc. then i would likely on occasion make a day of it and do some shopping, have some lunch, etc.

The reason places like the Trafford centre rarely have empty units (despite massive rents) is because they are busy. Retailers know that the more people visit, the more will spend money with them. And to get more visitors or to get the current visitors to stay longer (and spend more) there has to be something to draw them in!

So on that basis the idea in principle, i think is a good one.

Where i have doubt is the manor in which that it is being executed. I have doubts the council have the combined skills and expertise to pull it off successfully and am reserving judgement on the merits of the moves taken so far only though lack of information, I simply don't have the knowledge of all aspects of these deals to make a call on them.

One final thing, the other obvious concern is of course that it could end up being another grand central just placed directly in the town centre.

That i think is the biggest challenge they will have.
<< 1 2 >>