Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13 >>

Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
16th April 2014 at 9:24AM
There's really good advice on various sites.
Have a look at Martin Lewis's "money saving expert.com" it's a good site anyway, but the forums there have lots of advice and you can ask for more.   They can be a bit acerbic but they know more than us!

pongo Wrote:

Hi sparrow,
Thanks for the support. My MP has yet again contacted Excel Parking and is currently awaiting a reply!! In the meantime, I have decided to fight fire with fire. I won't be paying the so called fine. Wish me luck.
I feel as though I am an interloper because I don't live in Hazel Grove. However, I have been grateful for your help, advice and support regarding this matter and so, Thank you to all concerned:) I'll let you know how I go on.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
16th April 2014 at 12:09PM
Pongo - write to the shops at peel center be polite but strongly ask they contact excel to cancel ticket,as you purchased and have as evidence a ticket, include all details, i did and the hobbycraft estates department did so. The reply from deborah smart, customer services at argos means i don't shop there now!
Hobbycraft,7 enterprise way,christchurch,dorset,Bh23 6hg.
Boots, store 6531, unit 1, peel cent, stockport,sk1 2hh.
Argos,acton gate,stafford,st18 9ar
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
andy.long.52
Villager

andy.long.52
16th April 2014 at 3:37PM
Firstly, do not ignore them, but don't pay them. Follow the guides on money saving expert and you will win at appeal every time.

I did just that and got my appeal win through this morning. I parked at the Peel Centre without a ticket.

Excel are cowboys. As people have said, they are not fines but speculative invoices. I will be happy to help anyone who wants advice.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
18th April 2014 at 7:23AM
Hope everyone watched the programme which was on last night concerning parking. People being pulled over on the way to work who had outstanding fines which had escalated through non payment - their options were to pay on the spot (most owed around £500) or have their car taken. I hate paying a ridiculous amount to pay for a short period of time but would rather do that than be stopped on my way to work.

They also showed the appeal process which suggested that the right thing to do is appeal if you have justification, personally I'd rather buy a ticket and avoid the hassle but it's no wonder people drive to places like the Trafford Centre where parking is free, that must be a contributing factor to why so many shop units are empty in Stockport.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
18th April 2014 at 8:47AM
Passingthrough. . You're getting two important things mixed up here.

The people on that program are BAILIFFS or sheriffs.
They work for the court or the council, and by the time it gets to that stage, it's a criminal offence. . You'll notice police were there.

Excel and others are private parking companies for private land. They cannot employ bailiffs, stop you or claim your money. The only way you'd ever be stopped or money forceably taken from you is if you went to court and lost, then didn't pay the court.

It's easy. ..

council parking/council wardens/police =criminal offence. .. appeal the sensible way (and there are very good ways to appeal)

Private companies = civil breach/non criminal.... cowboys. .. Don't let them take your money.   They have no rights to take anything off you. It's simply a very dubious breach of contact.

Passingthrough Wrote:

Hope everyone watched the programme which was on last night concerning parking. People being pulled over on the way to work who had outstanding fines which had escalated through non payment - their options were to pay on the spot (most owed around £500) or have their car taken. I hate paying a ridiculous amount to pay for a short period of time but would rather do that than be stopped on my way to work.

They also showed the appeal process which suggested that the right thing to do is appeal if you have justification, personally I'd rather buy a ticket and avoid the hassle but it's no wonder people drive to places like the Trafford Centre where parking is free, that must be a contributing factor to why so many shop units are empty in Stockport.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
18th April 2014 at 11:46AM
Mozza - thank you for the clarification
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pongo
Villager

pongo
18th April 2014 at 12:09PM, Edit: 18th April 2014 at 12:10PM by pongo
Yes, The appeal process shown on tv last night seemed very civilised and unlike appeal process regarding parking on private land (POPLA), actually took into considerartion mitigating circumstances. I cannot understand why an appeals person/board would not take such circumstances into account. Why else would someone want to appeal if not for mitigating circumstances to be considered. The whole business stinks and beggars belief.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grumpy
Villager

grumpy
7th May 2014 at 9:48AM
Hello Andy

I visited the Peel Centre 23rd April at 19:14 i didnt buy a ticket as i thought parking was free after 18:00 In stockport. The car is in my husbands name but he wasnt with me at the time. Is there anything i can do to appeal against this, everyone is saying just ignore the letters and they will go away but im not that type of person it will worry me to death.
Appreciate any advice you could give.

Kind regards

Karen
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
7th May 2014 at 10:16AM
If you cannot ignore it, then appeal through POPLA.   Have read through the above, there's lots of assistance through www.moneysavingexpert.com (Martin Lewis site) and others.

Although they dont have a legal Leg to stand on, and you'd only ever get taken to a small claims court, if you're worried about this kind of thing, then fair enough, they will send a lot of threatening letters, they're toothless, but it sounds like you couldn't put up with the fight.
If you're saying that you parked in contravention to their stupid rules though, Popla will not hear it, but it's worth a try.

You've either got to fight, ignore, or pay.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
andy.long.52
Villager

andy.long.52
7th May 2014 at 10:28AM
Hi Karen,

Firstly, do not ignore it. You will not have to pay, but ignoring will cause you more problems.

Did you receive the Notice to Keeper (NTK) in the post or did you have a ticket on your window?

You need to jump on the Money Saving Expert forum where myself and the others can help you. There is a very simple (but precise) process to follow. If you do as they tell you then you will have your appeal upheld. Have a read of my thread here which was successful:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4836836

In a nutshell, here is the process:-

1) Wait for NTK to arrive
2) Send "soft appeal" - there is wording on my thread above - THIS WILL BE REJECTED BY EXCEL
3) In the rejection, they will give you a POPLA appeal code
4) Appeal to POPLA using specific wording - always have wording checked on the forum
5) Win your appeal
6) Laugh at Excel and their speculative invoice

There is currently a 100% win rate if you follow this procedure. You can copy and paste the majority of my wording from the link above. Simple advice is don't be threatened by the scary letters, don't try and use mitigating circumstances (e.g I thought it was free - you will lose) and get your wording checked before any appeal.

Take the time to read the "Newbies" thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 first too. If you are not confident, start your own thread on the forum and people will guide you as they did with me.

Many thanks and good luck!

Andy

Any problems then
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13 >>