Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>

Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
5th November 2013 at 11:17AM
I hear what you're saying, two thoughts though.

Wouldn't have made more sense to park centrally and walk to these two locations? and What constitutes as 'fair' is open to interpretation, I agree £60 is a lot of money for a parking violation, but it's meant as a deterrent and is easily avoidable so whether it's fair or not is certainly open to debate.

The only question with regards to their penalty charges is not ' are they fair?' but 'Are they legal?' really thats the only question that matters, if they are not you can fight them, if they are.... well you should have got a ticket!.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
5th November 2013 at 12:08PM
Coleman Wrote:

I hear what you're saying, two thoughts though.

Wouldn't have made more sense to park centrally and walk to these two locations? and What constitutes as 'fair' is open to interpretation, I agree £60 is a lot of money for a parking violation, but it's meant as a deterrent and is easily avoidable so whether it's fair or not is certainly open to debate.

The only question with regards to their penalty charges is not ' are they fair?' but 'Are they legal?' really thats the only question that matters, if they are not you can fight them, if they are.... well you should have got a ticket!.

I agree on all accounts Coleman. I should have got a ticket - but you live and learn.

However I do feel that apart from the ridiculously high fine that has left a sore taste that parking and shopping in Stockport has become a nightmare, to many car parks each with different rules and regulations. Some places you pay some you don't.

Sorry to have to say but in future I will not be supporting our local shops but will be shopping in Oldham (on a Sunday) where it's free to park all day - all though the year.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
5th November 2013 at 12:18PM, Edit: 5th November 2013 at 12:20PM by Mozza
The "charges" and "fines" are not either. They are an arbitrary suggestion by the parking company. They mean nothing in law. They mean about as much as me sending you a letter for £200 for parking outside my house.
They are legal, course they are, but you not paying is not illegal either.

Actually, a £1 is fair to park. But for gods sake, enforce it with a fiver levy to put people off taking up A space, not £100. They would never, ever be able to Convince a small claims magistrate that those were their losses for you parking there.

They keep charging them, because people pay up. People pay up because they're scared. Remember, if they ever, ever took you to court, it would be ruled, most probably on the internet. You'd owe about £41 to the court, court fee and ticket cost, should you lose.
It wouldn't be a criminal offense, but a civil one.

DO NOT PAY PRIVATE COMPANIES. IF YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT FORGETTING TO PAY, LOB THEM A QUID, THEYRE RIPPING YOU OFF.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
5th November 2013 at 2:46PM
I may be wrong here, but i seem to remember reading that although these 'fines' are not true legally enforceable fines, that they are enforceable on the grounds that a private car park places a sign with their terms of parking, in which is their penalty charge for not displaying a ticket. And that buy parking in their private car park you are entering in to a contract with them.

I'm pretty sure they don't have to justify their charges or demonstrate that it is a recuperation of their losses, it is simply a charge they make and you have the choice of agreeing to it (Parking there) or not (parking somewhere else).

I don't know if that's the total legal side of it, no doubt it's more complicated than that.

But the case i remember reading about was one where a chap hadn't gotten a ticket, was slapped with a fine and fought it on the grounds it's an unfair amount, i remember that he lost for the reasons i have mentioned and it cost him several hundred pounds in the end. I will admit though other than that it was not a local car park and that it was some time ago, i don't know much else about it, so maybe it would be different if someone round here fought it!?!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Doris
Townsperson

Doris
5th November 2013 at 2:59PM
Coleman that case was on Tv and it was a case for parking on yellow lines which is a council matter so you will get a Bailiff visit and they are enforcable. If it is a council fine and you take the case to court and loose it is very costly.In cases on private ground it has nothing to do with anything are cannot be enforced,as Mozza said they will hassle you for ages then give up.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
5th November 2013 at 3:39PM
Yeah, remember, never ignore the council traffic wardens or police, that is a criminal matter.

Excel at the Peel centre is a civil matter, as is parking eye or any of the others - ignore them till your hearts' content!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
natbags
Villager

natbags
5th November 2013 at 6:59PM
Well I have decided to ignore any fines I do get after what happened on sunday, after much debate initially. I had no idea about any of that information so thanks Mozza.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
5th November 2013 at 8:21PM
Have a good look through the forums at www.moneysavingexpert.com.
You get loads of info about this, and it's a good website.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
6th November 2013 at 12:00AM
Perhaps a boycott of parking in Stockport town centre car parks!!!! If you park pay the fee, simple. Maybe just park on the outskirts and walk, use those legs we where born with. Everytime I have been to the peel centre, especially at weekends it is full, so hundreds off people pay the charges. Everyday the cars parked behind princes street are full. Baffled!!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Doris
Townsperson

Doris
6th November 2013 at 10:44AM
Yes Sunflowerdee that is what I do now, If I need to go in to stockport I will park somewhere then walk 10 mins in to the town. As I said previous on this post I will not pay a penny to park down there out of principal.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>