Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>

hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
4th November 2013 at 3:20PM
ignore all dealings with them. dont pay, dont speak to them they will go away.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Doris
Townsperson

Doris
4th November 2013 at 4:42PM
What a joke 60 quid ! Perhaps 30 but 60 that is a rip off.. I would never ever use the shops there again.
If I need anything now I get in my car and dont go anywhere near Stockport. I had to park quickly a few weeks back and the only place i could find was a space on St Petersgate at £1.60 an hour which I think is disgusting. That is the last time i ever pay to park in Stockport again.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
4th November 2013 at 5:19PM
From what I've heard most of the shop tenants in Stockport tone centre haven't been happy for a while with the council not helping them out and car parking is a major issue for them, while the council makes money out of the people who do use the car parks, the shop tenants are loosing customers to places like the Trafford centre and other outlets etc!
It's really not rocket science to have free car parks or to stop the people who just want to park there then do the ticket stamp in a shop thing so they have to buy something?
The best thing is they're doing some work on the upper car parks in the centre that will go into the new year so when your driving round because you are willing to pay the parking fee and its Christmas and you can't find a space you'll go elsewhere and the shop tenants loose out again due to the councils incompetence!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Doris
Townsperson

Doris
4th November 2013 at 5:38PM
Yep it really is a no brainer on SMBC front ! Keep handing the tickets out and increasing the parking charges and watch the shoppers dissapear ! Try and park near the Town Hall and the same ridiculas charges for an hour apply around there as well.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
4th November 2013 at 5:50PM
PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT PAY PRIVATE CAR PARK COMPANIES.

Parking 'fines' from companies like Excel are NOT legal enforceable 'fines' - they are arbitrary suggestions by the company.
You need to ignore them completely.
If they did decide to take you to court (and they have never successfully done this) then it would be a small claims court, as this is not in any way a criminal offence.
If they took you to the small claims court, they'd have to prove their original losses - which would be the ticket - they couldn't charge you for anything they'd accrued during the process.
So, worst case, if they took you to court, and the magistrate found them correct - you'd owe £1 plus the small claims court cost - about £40.

I've ignored them twice - they go away after about 6 months of letters.
They even threaten with bailiff action - that can only happen if you've gone to court and lost - they are full of s*it.

If you don't believe me - see what they say at Martin Lewis's www.moneysavingexpert.com site.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
4th November 2013 at 6:45PM
hi mozza you are very right,i knew that link i posted wasnt what i was looking for, there was anouther article somewhere in stockport express about someone saying exactly what youve just typed!
i just dont understand why the shops arent getting rid of these cowboys, isnt the peel centre constantly having shops open and close there?
pizza huts the best across the road, they have a sign up in the restaraunt saying you have so much time parking there before you get a fine so youve got to be aware of how long you've been there eating before you get a ticket lol
the council think theres a problem with too many betting shops in stockport at the minute but they dont like talking about the car park situation.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
4th November 2013 at 7:44PM
Yeah, it's really hard to get people to understand that any magistrate would see any charge over a quid as onerous.
They'd basically be arguing trespass, and since the gates are open, it'd be ridiculous.
If anyone is unsure (my wife hated ignoring the letters) then don't enter into conversation with the company, use the parking arbitration service - again you'll find the details on Martin Lewis site (search for these posts in the forums also, it's an eye opener!)

They are complete bullies who make their money on the90 % of people who blindly do what they say.

Some people just park there and deliberately don't get tickets :)

By the way, don't ignore police or council approved wardens...that is a criminal offence!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
5th November 2013 at 10:02AM
Thanks for all your comments. Just to let you know that I did pay the fine. However even that was made difficult. First I tried to pay online but the process wanted more details than any other company that I have ever dealt with online had ever asked for before, so I aborted that way. Then I tried to pay 3 times over the telephone but couldn't get the system to recognise the 0 in the code. Finally I paid up by sending a cheque through the post at an extra cost of £1.10 just to make sure that payment got there, otherwise I thought they might say it didn't and send me another letter saying that it had gone up to £100.

I wish I could have gone along with some of your suggestions you gave, but it was my fault and as such I did gamble with not being caught. What really did upset me was not the legalities of the fine but the cost these companies are allowed to get away with charging.

So beware and please don't fall into the same predicament as me especially so near Christmas. It's has taught me a lesson though - to shop somewhere else.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
5th November 2013 at 10:28AM
I agree that parking 'fines' are excessive, but i really don't see why people object so much to paying a small fee to park their car. And a couple of quid is only a small fee.

If you look at it logically, to get the bus into Stockport is what... £2.50 each way? or £4 for one of those day saver tickets?
So parking is cheaper and considerably more convenient than public transport.
The other alternative would be say.. the Trafford centre with its free parking. Only thing is your looking at easily £5 in fuel to get there and back, so parking in Stockport is once again the cheaper option!

It's actually reasonable value when you look at it like that.

Now granted the company's who control these car parks make good money out of them, but these car parks need time restrictions on them, other wise do you think anyone arriving there any later than first thing would have any chance of parking?
Also do you think that people would park in the correct spots without some form of motivation to do so (i.e. keeping disabled spots for badge holders)?

So they need to be controlled. Staff, the ticket machines, maintenance, etc all costs money so companies are employed to make a small charge to park, it's only a small fee and collectively it covers all this and provides these companies with a profit. They are entitled to make a profit and if people don't like it they have the choice of either not paying for a ticket and risking a fine or not using the parking, it's as simple as that.

If paying £1-£2 to park your car is too much for you, then don't park your car, maybe if a lot of people did it and the shops started losing money, they would reduce their margins to drop the price a little.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
5th November 2013 at 10:59AM, Edit: 5th November 2013 at 11:01AM by Serenity
These companies are charging far above the average charge for parking fines. Why can the council charge £60 that gets reduced to £30 if you pay up straight away, but this company is allowed to charge whatever they want to from £30 to £120 - this is what seems ridiculous to me. To be fair I'd already paid £2.10 to park and shop in the car park outside Debenhams that's council run. Then add to that another small fee of £2.10 in the Argos car park and the cost of your petrol and you're probably paying around £7.00 to keep these shops in business. Flipping ridiculous..

From my experienced and from what I have read so far these companies are working well outside the boundaries of fair practise and if the council want shoppers to continue to shop there they need to investigate these practises and put a stop to them.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>