Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >>

Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
12th May 2014 at 11:31AM
cooper120 Wrote:

you're not reading my post.

if there's a valid reason I get it, you have bought a ticket and they haven't picked it up that's fine - i would argue the case.

you park in a council car park and you're 5 minutes over they will fine you it's your fault for being late back not theirs. you're going after excel because they aren't the council - if i was stockport council i would take over the car park. money is better there than it is with excel.

you know if your 5 minutes late to your gate at an airport you won't be getting on the plane - i bet you don't do that do you? no, because it would cost you money. same logic.

No, you're not hearing everyone else's point.

If you're late to your car, then yes, it's your fault.
The point is, why charge £60/£100? What is the justification? Why not £10?

Cos it's not there to put you off. . It's profiteering off people who are trying to either spend some sodding money at the high street, or run their business.

Your example about the aeroplanes sort of proves this point. You turn up late for your plane. .. The consequences are that the plane is locked and ready to fly, with monetary implication to the airline and other passengers.

Tell me one implication to some one being 5 mins late to their car?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Damien
Villager

Damien
12th May 2014 at 11:38AM
Upvote Cooper!

I have been biting my lip on this thread. But the amount of people complaining Excel are "cowboys" because they couldn't be bothered to pay for a ticket. This is absolutely disgusting!

All the talk of "unfair fines", to begin with I would suggest this is designed as a deterrent. If Excel was only allowed to 'fine' you the price of a ticket, nobody would bother getting one. Then the admin costs of finding the owner and sending out a fine (or invoice, what ever you want to call it) would far exceed the price of the ticket.

Next is the loss of earnings to the shops contacting Excel and the like to manage THEIR car parks. Take Sainsbury's for example, the amount of people who park there while they swan off to Stepping Hill is shocking. The "loss" from this parking spot could be argued to be around £100 (or what ever the average weekly shop is), as Sainsbury's customers are unable to park to do their shopping, they may end up else where. On the topic of Sainsbury's, I won't get started on the annoyance it courses me when people park in the PICK UP point and go off doing their shopping, when I want to PICK someone UP.

At the end of the day, you are not forced to park there. And if you do, it is by your own choice and should be expected to follow THEIR rules for THEIR car park. They are providing a service which you are using. Least you can do is compensate them with the courtesy of paying the small fee they ask.

Most of the rules are more than reasonable and there for the betterment of everyone. Such as parking within the marked bays (not taking up two spaces so your Merc or BMW doesn't get scratched), not parking in disabled spaces without a blue badge, etc.

On a side note, I noticed nobody was willing to give me their address. Where am I going to park when visiting your neighbours?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Damien
Villager

Damien
12th May 2014 at 11:59AM
Mozza Wrote:

cooper120 Wrote:

you're not reading my post.

if there's a valid reason I get it, you have bought a ticket and they haven't picked it up that's fine - i would argue the case.

you park in a council car park and you're 5 minutes over they will fine you it's your fault for being late back not theirs. you're going after excel because they aren't the council - if i was stockport council i would take over the car park. money is better there than it is with excel.

you know if your 5 minutes late to your gate at an airport you won't be getting on the plane - i bet you don't do that do you? no, because it would cost you money. same logic.

No, you're not hearing everyone else's point.

If you're late to your car, then yes, it's your fault.
The point is, why charge £60/£100? What is the justification? Why not £10?

Cos it's not there to put you off. . It's profiteering off people who are trying to either spend some sodding money at the high street, or run their business.

Your example about the aeroplanes sort of proves this point. You turn up late for your plane. .. The consequences are that the plane is locked and ready to fly, with monetary implication to the airline and other passengers.

Tell me one implication to some one being 5 mins late to their car?

So if you should be allowed 5 minutes extra from the time your ticket expires, what about the people who are 6 minutes late? Or 10 minutes late? Where is an acceptable cut off period?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
hazelgrove3
Villager

hazelgrove3
12th May 2014 at 1:32PM
I did buy a ticket from the machine which included my reg. £1.30. The penalty notice (photo of my car ) stated that I was 19 minutes over my time. I was confused as the time stated was 79minutes. I thought the £1.30 must have been for one hour. I think that people must realise that not everyone is on the ball with this situation, like myself who does learn a lot from these kind of forums. I will know what to do in the future.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pongo
Villager

pongo
12th May 2014 at 1:59PM
hazelgrove3 Wrote:

I did buy a ticket from the machine which included my reg. £1.30. The penalty notice (photo of my car ) stated that I was 19 minutes over my time. I was confused as the time stated was 79minutes. I thought the £1.30 must have been for one hour. I think that people must realise that not everyone is on the ball with this situation, like myself who does learn a lot from these kind of forums. I will know what to do in the future.

The ticket which we purchased for £1-30 covered 3 hours of parking.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
12th May 2014 at 1:59PM
Damien Wrote:

Upvote Cooper!

I have been biting my lip on this thread. But the amount of people complaining Excel are "cowboys" because they couldn't be bothered to pay for a ticket. This is absolutely disgusting!

All the talk of "unfair fines", to begin with I would suggest this is designed as a deterrent. If Excel was only allowed to 'fine' you the price of a ticket, nobody would bother getting one. Then the admin costs of finding the owner and sending out a fine (or invoice, what ever you want to call it) would far exceed the price of the ticket.

Next is the loss of earnings to the shops contacting Excel and the like to manage THEIR car parks. Take Sainsbury's for example, the amount of people who park there while they swan off to Stepping Hill is shocking. The "loss" from this parking spot could be argued to be around £100 (or what ever the average weekly shop is), as Sainsbury's customers are unable to park to do their shopping, they may end up else where. On the topic of Sainsbury's, I won't get started on the annoyance it courses me when people park in the PICK UP point and go off doing their shopping, when I want to PICK someone UP.

At the end of the day, you are not forced to park there. And if you do, it is by your own choice and should be expected to follow THEIR rules for THEIR car park. They are providing a service which you are using. Least you can do is compensate them with the courtesy of paying the small fee they ask.

Most of the rules are more than reasonable and there for the betterment of everyone. Such as parking within the marked bays (not taking up two spaces so your Merc or BMW doesn't get scratched), not parking in disabled spaces without a blue badge, etc.

On a side note, I noticed nobody was willing to give me their address. Where am I going to park when visiting your neighbours?

I administer car parking breach penalties on my property with my base ball bat, it's far fairer than arbitrary fees and threats through the post.   

Plus my neighbours have taste.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grumpy
Villager

grumpy
12th May 2014 at 2:36PM
A friend of mine drove into the carpark. dropped her daughter off at work, it then took her 25 mins to get out because of the chaos getting out. She received a parking charge and when she objected she was then bullied and intimidated into paying up by sending threatening letters. How is that fair??
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
12th May 2014 at 3:00PM
If more car parks offered free parking then more people would use them and spend more money in local shops, which is desperately needed, I think the councillors and folk in charge of stockport do all they can to prevent anyone from shopping in the town.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Damien
Villager

Damien
12th May 2014 at 4:20PM
Mozza Wrote:

I administer car parking breach penalties on my property with my base ball bat, it's far fairer than arbitrary fees and threats through the post.   

Plus my neighbours have taste.

Receiving a £60 fine = unacceptable, cowboys

An Excel employee smashing the hell out of a car for being 5 minutes over the allowed time = perfectly acceptable behaviour.

Thank you for clearing that up for us. Now we all know where we stand.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Damien
Villager

Damien
12th May 2014 at 4:25PM
grumpy Wrote:

A friend of mine drove into the carpark. dropped her daughter off at work, it then took her 25 mins to get out because of the chaos getting out. She received a parking charge and when she objected she was then bullied and intimidated into paying up by sending threatening letters. How is that fair??

That is clearly complete rubbish. It does not take 25 minutes to get out of the car park. Even if that was true, there are plenty of side-roads etc that can be used to drop people off.

I also highly doubt they were "intimidated" by Excel. Unless you have a very lax definition of the word, in which case I imagine people who are truly being intimidated would be offended at your use of the word.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >>