Stockport News

A Town in Greater Manchester

10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
£60 Peel Centre parking fine...
2nd November 2013 at 12:47PM, Edit: 2nd November 2013 at 12:48PM by Serenity
Has anyone had a £60.00 car parking fine whilst parking without a ticket at the Peel centre car park. I was in the wrong to not get a ticket but a £60 fine seems well over the top. Any advise please. Should I just pay it. Apparently if its not paid within 14 days it goes up to £100. Anyone else had any dealings with this company seen it on watchdog many times for illegal practises.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
2nd November 2013 at 3:10PM
There's a story on this in the papers, a few people have argued it in the past and got away due to the rules apparantly?
Google it see if you can find it, I'll post it up if I can find it too!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sam39
Villager

sam39
2nd November 2013 at 4:44PM
I would pay up, after all you admit you were in the wrong. But for the record, when you park in a privately owned and controlled car park, you and the owner enter into a contract. For the contract not to be challengable, you would have to show that the conditions of the contract were not readily available to you, or that those conditions were onerous. At the Peel Centre, there are numerous notices explaining the conditions so you could not argue ignorance of what you willingly agreed to when you parked, but did not fulfill by paying the standard charge. Is the excess charge of £60 onerous? It is at the bottom end of such excess charges levied elsewhere, so it would be hard to make a case. If you did not pay the standard charge because a payment machine was not working and there was no machine other reasonably close, then you could argue that the owner had not provided the means for you to satisfy the conditions and the contract did not exist ab initio - in which case no excess would be payable. Some car parks have a ticket on entry, pay on exit, system. Such car parks should allow entry only if spaces are available otherwise no contract exists, and no charge is payable on exit.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
2nd November 2013 at 5:10PM

there you go,i remember something about it as i had a friend who got away with it too but this was a fair while back and theyve probably got bigger signs up now but as the guy above said it might be worth just paying up as you say you should have known better and youve just been caught unfortunately!
good luck with whatever you do!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
2nd November 2013 at 5:11PM
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
natbags
Villager

natbags
3rd November 2013 at 7:00PM
Strangely enough, I had an incident with this company this afternoon. After putting my money into the ticket machine and punching my reg in, lo and behold, no ticket came out. So I tried again, and once again, no ticket. I was parked right up at the top end near dfs and as the car park office is right down at the opposite end and it was pouring down I got back into the car and drove down to report the broken ticket machine and to sort out getting another one with one of the staff. The bloke was kind enough to walk back up and sort the machine out and give me my money back to get another ticket, but then unbelievably told me that i'm now likely to get a fine in the post for leaving the car park and entering again at the other end as the cameras would have picked that up!!!, and that there is a no return within one hour policy. I've never heard anything like it, its not like I went off somewhere else, did my shopping and then returned. After telling him that this whole thing is rather a pain in the rear end (but not so politely) he replied that his whole life was a pain!! He refused to give me his name so that I could refer to him as a witness if a fine does come through and said " I could do but I,m choosing not to." He did, after me having a go, give me his work number saying that he would try to remember what happened if he needed to. Am I wrong or is this treatment out of order?!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
3rd November 2013 at 7:06PM
absolute jokers!
still gets me how these shops can have pay and displays,even stockport!
you'd think they'd want to try and compete with trafford centre etc where its free to park or do as the lowry outlet does where you get a ticket but get it stamped in a shop when youve bought something.
but then that's too much like common sense and that's why stockport council scratch they're heads when shops are constantly closing and then one of these start up people open one up for a few months then disapear!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
3rd November 2013 at 8:17PM
On that carpark I got told by a lady who worked a burger van there that as you drive in theres cameras that get your reg, then you have 15 mins to get a ticket (as you have to now put in your reg) BUT she said the guy that issues tickets on cars there that the company have had loads that dont pay...and have argued and won as the fines are ridiculous, and they are only a company trying to make money not police or traffic wardens!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
natbags
Villager

natbags
3rd November 2013 at 9:47PM
I'm not sure how long it was after entering the car park the first time then driving down the other end then actually getting the ticket with the blokes help (if you can call it help). But I am sure of one thing, if I do get a fine I shall fight tooth and nail, I don't think I did anything wrong. As for them just trying to make money, I don't think Mr "Excell Parking" is short of a few bob to say the least! Car parking charges are scandalous all over the place but to add this to it just beggers belief. I am seething.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
4th November 2013 at 12:06AM
No wonder Stockport town centre is going downhill. The market has all but disappeared, used to be great. I park at Matalan for £1 for 2 hours, get a refund if you buy something from there. But use their parking area to go shopping at the Peel centre. Only a short walk. Last time I went to Stockport got the bus with my 6 year old grandson (he loves going on a bus), that cost me £5 return adult + 1.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13 >>