Park and Ride for Hospital

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 >>

NorburyNewlywed
Villager

NorburyNewlywed
Park and Ride for Hospital
28th September 2010 at 8:23AM
I saw this suggested on another topic and thought it deserved its own thread. I reckon it's a good idea. That great big area behind the viaduct, where Gordon Fords was, surely a nice big car park would be easy to slot there. If that's too far, is there any space behind what used to be Mirlees?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Park and Ride for Hospital
28th September 2010 at 9:01AM
I hadn't even thought of that location. I suppose it all depends on who owns the land and what sort of value they hold it in. But it could be the ideal place.

I'm pretty sure that the bus company's could put on a special variation of the 192 between there and the hospital with very little effort required.

I'd be interested to know what the councils view on this is, maybe Kevin could give some incite?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
wotnot
Townsperson

wotnot
28th September 2010 at 1:43PM
The airport have staff car parks away from the terminals, the staff park in there and jump on a shuttle bus which is 24hr....they could man that and use the money they would make with people paying to park at the hospital would cover the cost (especially with what they charge). Certainly food for thought ;)
NorburyNewlywed
Villager

NorburyNewlywed
29th September 2010 at 2:55AM
Coleman Wrote:

I hadn't even thought of that location. I suppose it all depends on who owns the land and what sort of value they hold it in. But it could be the ideal place.

I'm pretty sure that the bus company's could put on a special variation of the 192 between there and the hospital with very little effort required.

I'd be interested to know what the councils view on this is, maybe Kevin could give some incite?

Or even the hospital could come to a deal with stagecoach for a cut price bus-pass just covering that distance from the terminus to the hospital? It would be nicely integrated then. The buses run frequently and 24 hours from there anyway.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
29th September 2010 at 3:42AM
I would expect the staff to get parking and the bus ride for free (paid for by the hospital) as they don't have to pay to use the staff parking at present.

Having reviewed the site (god bless google maps) i reckon that there is space for all the hospitals staff (freeing up their spaces for hospital visitors) and enough left over to add a pay, display and ride for the grove in general (probably doesn't need it at present but could help attract new business). The bus could make two stops on the A6 and terminate at the Hospital that way it would accommodate all takers.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
29th September 2010 at 7:48AM
Whoops whose been talking.
Oscars mumj
Drifter
29th September 2010 at 9:18AM
Think you will find staff do pay for their parking at the hospital - think it is deducted from their salary directly.
Lubylou
Drifter
29th September 2010 at 10:33AM
Staff at Stepping Hill DO pay for car parking and it's over £200 per year but I do agree with the idea that the staff park off site and have a free shuttle bus to free up spaces for patients and their families but please don't think that they get their spaces free they don't!
Drifter
30th September 2010 at 2:57AM
I think this is an excellent idea if it is felt this would eradicate the problem of hospital staff and visitors using the adjacent roads regularly as offsite parking. As the hospital is expanding all the time and Iím sure is faced with the ongoing dilemma of how to accommodate the needs of their visitors and staff whilst addressing the regions parking concerns of its neighboursí

However as a resident living adjacent to the hospital I think this new scheme would only be a success if the hospital was willing to consider abandoning their car parking fees or making the adjacent roads parking for resident only.

Introducting parking for resident only would ensure that staff and visitors who currently use the surrounding roads as a cheaper parking option (leaving no available spaces left for residents to park their vehicles) use this new facility. As I feel it is not just the lack of availability of hospital parking spaces that make people park on the roads surrounding the hospital, but that there is also the problem that some staff and visitors choose not to pay these charges and therefore decide to park in the surrounding area. How would another paid service assist without introducing these new measures would eliminate the problem? Iím not sure it would.

Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
30th September 2010 at 3:55AM
The comment about resident permit parking is a good point! I've thought that some of the roads should be anyway and there are a few places that people dump their cars where double yellows would make a lot of sense! At the corner of Barlows lane for one!

Having spent a lot of time at the hospital last Christmas and new year for the birth of Colebaby i know as well as any how expensive it is to park there, i suspect that it is mostly to make money but also to discourage people parking there and going in to the grove.

I wasn't aware that the hospital charged their staff, i only knew that they didn't pay and display. That said £200 a year is quite reasonable and if it's deducted from their wage then at least they get a tax break on it.

If they free up 200 on site spots currently used by staff and made them Pay and display the extra money they made should allow them to drop the charges a little without seeing a loss of income!

And staff shouldn't have to pay any extra for the park and ride!
Drifter
2nd October 2010 at 9:32AM
Has anyone thought about using the unused land at the back of Sainsbury's as an off site car park for the use of the hospital. I'm sure at one stage this was a proposal.

I still agree that the areas surrounding the hospital should be parking for residence only as I too think otherwise people would continue to park on these roads and not utilise the new car park.

<< 1 2 >>