Hazel Grove Park and Ride

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Hazel Grove Park and Ride
31st January 2012 at 12:58PM
On that basis it looks an awful lot like the potential savings to drivers aren't great!

For instance taking the 5 average for town centre parking you quoted (probably fairly close, assuming that the park part of the park and ride is free there would be a cost for travel to Stockport of 3.70 giving a saving of 1.30.

That's not a lot when you lose the convenience of the car and have to rely on public transport. I for one would pay the extra 1.30!

Don't get me wrong, i think the park and ride is an excellent idea, not least because i thought of it myself a while back ;-)!
But i don't think it would be much good for Stockport town centre workers or visitors unless the savings are a little more substantial, i think it would be excellent for the hospital however especially if the hospital were to make their staff use it, freeing up onsite spots for visitors!

It would also be good for HG should we ever get anything to attract people to the area!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Drifter
31st January 2012 at 1:12PM
Its far cheaper for a return on the HG - Stockport trains. Then ge the free bus down into Stockport and Portwood. At least a 1 cheaper overall than the bus.
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
31st January 2012 at 1:17PM, Edit: 31st January 2012 at 1:18PM by JohnEllis
Coleman Wrote:

On that basis it looks an awful lot like the potential savings to drivers aren't great!
Inclined to agree. If I were a car commuter, it'd take more than a small cash saving to persuade me to switch to the park and ride.

But if I struggled on some days to find a parking space, or if there were a problem with theft or vandalism in the town centre car parks, and there was an opportunity to save a bit of money too, I'd probably want to give it a try.

But it's an interesting and imaginative venture, and I wish it well. Here's hoping people will give it a try.
Drifter
31st January 2012 at 3:49PM
JohnEllis Wrote:

[QUOTE=Guest]... I've never found a difficulty in finding a free parking spot in the Grove during the day, as long as I've been prepared to walk 150 yards or so; and closer than that if I'm prepared to pay, as there's usually room in the Grove's various small car parks.

I presume by free parking spots John you mean down one of those little side streets in the Grove, such as those adjacent to the hospital or such like.

I have to agree that no one does want to pay for parking when they can park for free, which is why congested parking in the Grove has become such a big problem, especially for the residents.

Hopefully this scheme might offer some alternative solution(albeit not completely ideal)in helping resolve this growing problem. At least it's a way of offering another option of free parking in the Grove.

JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
1st February 2012 at 3:48PM, Edit: 1st February 2012 at 3:50PM by JohnEllis
Guest Wrote:

I presume by free parking spots John you mean down one of those little side streets in the Grove, such as those adjacent to the hospital or such like.
I do - though even before the residents' parking restrictions came in, I tried to find a space that wasn't in front of anyone's house or, failing that, one where there was no dearth of other spaces - though that usually meant Davenport Road. Not too far, after all, to walk back to London Road, and a bit of exercise does my midriff no harm, especially this time of year when I get too little exercise.

But these days, being out on the Grove's distant fringe, I normally come in on the bus. Codgers' bus passes are a wonderful thing - while they last!

Drifter
1st February 2012 at 5:46PM
Your such a nice bloke John and as usual you think before you park your car, unlike some other drivers visiting the Grove, who just don't care where they park and for how long.

However I feel that if some sensible parking restrictions are put in place and more free parking spaces allocated, it might go towards helping resolve some of the issues that arise from drivers who do not take as much consideration as yourself when parking in the Grove.

JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
1st February 2012 at 10:38PM
Guest Wrote:

... if some sensible parking restrictions are put in place and more free parking spaces allocated, it might go towards helping resolve some of the issues that arise from drivers who do not take as much consideration as yourself when parking in the Grove.
I certainly wouldn't quarrel with that.

Although I doubt shoppers coming into the Grove by car are likely to park right down by Melford Road, and then go shopping up London Road on foot. Or even taking the bus a few stops.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
5th February 2012 at 2:47PM
there is no problem with me expressing an opinion at all as I have been involved in this for a couple of years. Under the new localism bill recntly passed in parliament I am allowed to do this and take part in the decision making process as long as I listen to all sides before voting.
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
5th February 2012 at 10:06PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

there is no problem with me expressing an opinion at all as I have been involved in this for a couple of years. Under the new localism bill recntly passed in parliament I am allowed to do this and take part in the decision making process as long as I listen to all sides before voting.
Past time that daft regulation dreamed up by the last lot of Westminster control freaks was changed. No point in having local councillors if government's going to hedge them round with restrictions which too often inhibited them from reflecting the views of the folk that elected them.

But then New Labour's instinct was to centralize power. And to keep developers, and the big guys with the money in general, sweet.
Drifter
17th March 2012 at 3:30PM
Looks like plans might be on the way, as local residents have been given letters to attend meeting to discuss any forthcoming issues around the subject of a free car park.
<< 1 2 3 >>