Stockport - City or Town?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

Climate
Drifter
Re: Stockport - City or Town?
23rd June 2011 at 5:18PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

My point being has more a city identity to it than Stockport - don't you think?

If you say Middlesbrough and Stockport to the national average then I suspect that more people would know where Middlesbrough is TBH, so in that respect yes you are bang on the nail.

I read that link posted by Adora (I haven't read it again) and funnily enough when I did I thought of this forum and how I laughed off City status when some place had like 1500 people living there or something?

Seemingly the 'village' population most posters on here want, if they each include all their pets, houses, cars and shops etc...

'Local town for local people'.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
24th June 2011 at 4:47AM
Can't raise any particular enthusiasm about the "city" bid one way or another, except to hope that the Council doesn't spend too much money that it hasn't got, in these difficult times, on it.

I think it's the sort of project that, on the whole, appeals much more to councillors and senior council officers than it does to ordinary Joe and Jill Council Tax Payer. What councillor, for instance, when his or her turn comes round, wouldn't prefer to be a "lord" mayor than just a bog-standard, ten-a penny mayor?! But would it make any real significant difference? I doubt it.

The only effect it just might have, as someone's already mentioned, is the psychological one of pulling Stockport out of the shadow of Manchester just a bit. But, as geography counts for more than any style or title, I don't put a lot of weight on that. After all, Salford's been a city for donkey's years, and I don't think it's done anything really significant to give the place status and distinctiveness, or to remove it from the shadow of "big brother" across the Irwell to the west ...
Expert
Drifter
30th June 2011 at 8:36AM
City status would bring Stockport out of the shadow of Manchester? Is not Salford also within Manchester's shadow? ..... and Salford was granted City status in 1926!
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
30th June 2011 at 9:23AM
Quick question!
Who many citys will the uk have if they keep upgrading towns?

If i thought for a second we would win the bid i'd probably give it a little thought, but i think we all know there is little chance of it anyway!
Drifter
30th June 2011 at 2:02PM
Here is another quick question. Can anyone in authority, or in the know, make a comment on this forum on how much this bid has cost in total. ??
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
30th June 2011 at 2:27PM, Edit: 30th June 2011 at 2:29PM by Prodigal
On the slim chance that the Town did win City status, I can't see it having any great impact on the lives of ordinary Joe public, but what doe's concern me, with the council making more cuts than an army barber, is how much will this all cost us, the Council tax payers to eventually lose out to another Town.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
30th June 2011 at 4:03PM
Guest Wrote:

Here is another quick question. Can anyone in authority, or in the know, make a comment on this forum on how much this bid has cost in total. ??

From the BBC article linked in the OP of this thread:- "Dr Musson says the average bid for the 2012 competition will have cost about 10,000"

Drifter
30th June 2011 at 4:23PM
Thanks for the reply adora and link.Could anyone from the council or anyone involved in the bid let us know what the final cost is, which in this age of so called transparancy must be available for all to see (or am I dreaming ?)
Martinsbo
Drifter
2nd July 2011 at 11:14AM
Stockport Town or City! i think dump? Ghetto? would be more appropriate
Geno
Drifter
2nd July 2011 at 8:29PM
Stockport as a whole is ok certainly not a ghetto get out to areas not to far from Stockport and you will see some real eye sores
<< 1 2 3 >>