Portas Pilot

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Portas Pilot
30th May 2012 at 12:00PM
Ok so i've had a look at famous people from Stockport and amongst others there are:-

Norman Foster - Famous Architect responsible countless famous buildings.
Yvette Fielding - The Ghost woman i couldn't remember the name of
Dominic Howard - Drummer for Muse
Timmy Mallett - Used to hit kids with a mallet!
Daz Simpson - Eurovision 06 and has had a few top ten hits.
Sir Joseph Whitworth - Victorian Engineer
Fred Perry - Tennis

I did have a look to see if i could find out who this Joan Bakewell woman is and why she is so special, all i can find is that she was a news presenter and is a labour peer. Oh, and she's 79 years old, which probably explains why anyone under 40/50 years old hasn't heard of her!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
30th May 2012 at 12:27PM
I've just looked in wikipedia (must all be true) and there are loads of peeps from Stockport.

Sarah Harding even went to Hazel Grove High School !

One, that most should know, Mike Yarwood wa born in Bredbury

I was also at school with Yvette Fielding - knew her well (I didn't really!)
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
30th May 2012 at 12:28PM
There's a few people on the Hazel Grove trivia page. Including Sarah Harding from Girls Aloud.

(It seems off topic now, but..) I still can't see how the Mersey could be a valuable asset. Are people really going to go to Stockport centre, set next to the river and have a cup of tea?

I imagine a lot of people would disagree with me, but one of the reasons I prefer to go to Manchester and Trafford Centre is the fact it is all enclosed, everything you need under one roof.

We don't exactly have great weather round here, so one big 'mall' like the Trafford Centre and the Arndale centre would make the shopping experience of Stockport a lot better.

However this would most likely require the demolition of most of Merseyway, as I can't see it being worth while extending the current glass roof.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
30th May 2012 at 2:18PM
Robot69 Wrote:

Sarah Harding even went to Hazel Grove High School !

One, that most should know, Mike Yarwood wa born in Bredbury

Sarah Harding was in my year, Never heard of this Mike Yarwood fella, A quick search reveals why though, apparently he used to be on tell in the 60's and 70's!

How old are you Robot69?
slim
Townsperson

slim
30th May 2012 at 2:24PM
Peter butterworth of carry on fame was born in bramhall as was Wendy hiller a film and stage actress .
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
3rd August 2012 at 3:16PM, Edit: 3rd August 2012 at 3:16PM by Robot69
BBC News - You have to laugh!
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
4th August 2012 at 1:36PM
It's farcical.

This Council is like a modern day King Midas - everything they touch turns to s***!
Artie_Fufkin
Villager

Artie_Fufkin
17th February 2016 at 12:34PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

It's farcical.

This Council is like a modern day King Midas - everything they touch turns to s***!

The Portas money has been spent now, basically the council withdrew from the process as they were not helping and the focus went back to the emphasis of the original bid which was the establishment of an arts 'hub' being 7 miles out, branding of the 'Old Town', promoting the market and getting more businesses into the old town.

We've seen around 14 new businesses open but we have also seen the likes of Bank go bust, Greenwoods leave because of the cost of the rent & rates plus the lease was up for renewal, similarly Laura Ashley where the rent & rates was just too high & lease had come to an end.

The portas group also took over Foodie Friday which has developed well. The Christmas & Summer fringe festivals have been very good in bringing people into Stockport and the Viking festival was quite a hit.

The other large payment was £50k for the Plaza to aquire a digital projector and £10k went into the market.

Some of the shops have been awarded shop front grants to improve the street-scape but the council rather hampered this by insisting on heritage colours which added cost and for made shop-owners give up on the idea. The funding was matched by the shop-owner and in some cases, the council wanted expensive paints and finishes that made the process cost more than just leaving it to the shop-owners. A council clerk took a Portas member around the town pointing out the acceptable colour-schemes. The member pointed out that all the shops that were acceptably finished were shut and the attitude from the council seems that although the town was dying on it's botty, it didn't seem to matter as long as it was dying on it's botty in heritage colours. Empty shops were to be given a vinyl treatment to give the impression that the place was a little nicer along with invitations to start businesses, sadly this process has also suffered from council interference and the vinyls are now only going into a handful of empty shops and really far too late.

The idea of Portas was to take it away from the council as the council are not good at much, to an extent, quite a bit has been achieved but the as the Portas scheme was coming to the end, the council have announced their own rather far-fetched plan for the area without any consultation with the portas group: http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s81480/Appendix%201%20-%20Market%20Place%20and%20Underbanks%20-%20Vision%20and%20Concept%20Proposals.pdf
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th February 2016 at 2:46PM
Since becoming a Councillor I have learned to try and lessen my rather blunt choice of words at times....
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
18th February 2016 at 8:06PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Since becoming a Councillor I have learned to try and lessen my rather blunt choice of words at times....

Credit where it's due, at least you bother.

Unlike that toss pot MP that looks like a bloated Hamster. He's storing food in his cheeks...
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>