Reddish News

A Town in Stockport

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

more than a third of shops are empty Stockport top

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: more than a third of shops are empty Stockport
9th February 2012 at 1:02PM
It's going to take a lot more than that to rubbish this survey. You need to prove why they are wrong by using exactly the same data.

How has this survey gone wrong?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
9th February 2012 at 1:50PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

It's going to take a lot more than that to rubbish this survey. You need to prove why they are wrong by using exactly the same data.

How has this survey gone wrong?

How can he use the exact same data when it's wrong?

He's just given the figures! What exactly are you after?

I'll admit that i'd like to know the figures for the rest of Stockport too! But as far as the town centre is concerned, i think those figures pretty much cover it!

I suspect you're getting a little over excited with all the cross party sniping!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
deano
Drifter
9th February 2012 at 2:11PM, Edit: 9th February 2012 at 2:13PM by Coleman
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

OK people you wanted figures especially Oliver
Princes St 67 shops   12 empty = 18%
Underbanks/Merseyway/warren St 141 shops 15 empty =11%
Petersgate 37 shops 15 empty = 40%
Total nos 245 shops 42 empty = 17% overall

I have not included the area opposite the Peel Centre as this is deliberately empty waiting for Sainsbury`s relocation

This survey is blatantly wrong and was taken I believe just from a short walk on Petersgate. As I said don`t let the facts get in the way etc.

id say the petersgate firgures are quite worrying at 40 % EMPTY
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
9th February 2012 at 2:36PM
A lot of petersgate was full of temporary work agencies such as Reeds employment and manpower etc when the economy went t**S up then there were no jobs so they closed.
Most of the retail that was left is still there with the addition of a couple of new restaurants

I am trying actively to get new business in, ergo Primark and H & M both new to stockport in the last year or so
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th February 2012 at 3:26PM
Will you be launching a legal challenge against the producers of this survey if it is wrong or inaccurate?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
deano
Drifter
9th February 2012 at 3:41PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

A lot of petersgate was full of temporary work agencies such as Reeds employment and manpower etc when the economy went t**S up then there were no jobs so they closed.
Most of the retail that was left is still there with the addition of a couple of new restaurants

I am trying actively to get new business in, ergo Primark and H & M both new to stockport in the last year or so

yes mr hogg the shops are empty because there are very few jobs indeed.it dosnt matter what they were they are empty.i know many people who have lost their jobs and cannot get work in the stockport area.it will get worse and worse and it dosnt take a expert to work out that primark will be the reason even more shops close because people will go there buying cheaper clothes as the situation gets worse.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
9th February 2012 at 7:42PM
Deano since Primark opened the number of people shopping in the town centre has gone up by a large amount.
All shops are benefitting from this
and some jobs are being created, though not as many as I would like.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
10th February 2012 at 10:18AM
Petersgate has never really "worked" for me!
What would be nice is
Encourage with incentives some artisan shops and arty outlets make it more like the northern quarter of Manchester ! have it seamlessly running into the market place and try and get the market buzzing again like it used to be.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Super Guest
Drifter
10th February 2012 at 10:48AM
TBH, the market isn't much different to others around the North West I go to at the moment. They've all been hit by the poor times recently.

The market could benefit from being moved off the hill down to the land that Sainsbury's is vacating?? and be more integrated with the town centre.

Its a bit of a hike to go up to the market if you already have shopping to carry.

The market area could then be used for "some artisan shops and arty outlets" with the market building moved (transferred??) the square could make quite a nice setting for small events too.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
10th February 2012 at 11:53AM
Like that idea, although there is no way they could 'move' the market building! It's ancient and i'm almost certain listed!

Would make a good gallery or exhibit space though!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>