10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Poynton Roundels

<< 1 2 3 >>

willro
Villager

willro
Re: Poynton Roundels
7th March 2013 at 8:30PM
If they are not indicating then I should think they are going straight on.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
7th March 2013 at 11:42PM
Exactly!
Straight on is neither left or right.
Not many cars have an indicator in the middle so what choice is there?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th March 2013 at 12:04AM

This post has been deleted by the author.

Drifter
31st July 2013 at 7:33AM
The point s they are not roundabouts but Roundels, so basically there are no "rules" they are not in the Highway code and it seems that anyone can do anything legally. In the event of an accident, which i am sure there will be many of, I have no idea how the insurance company will work out who was at fault.
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
31st July 2013 at 2:45PM
Haha funny this was brought back up, there was actually a crash on that junction a few weeks ago, missed the crash but saw the car being dragged away!
happy
Townsperson

happy
4th August 2013 at 11:47AM
And there will probably be many more crashes!!!!! They are complete sh**
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
5th August 2013 at 9:53AM
I go through poynton every week day morning.

I come from hazel grove and then turn right at the first roundabout.

So many times I've nearly ploughed in to someone coming the other way because they are not looking or just ignore my indicator to turn right.

If someone is not indicating then they are going straight on for the people who dont know.

I dont like the new design as it creates too much traffic. The traffic lights were fine as they were and allowed two lanes. This gave me the opportunity to overtake the majority of traffic to turn right. Once that new road is built I wont have to use poynton ever again!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!
AndrewJ
Idler

AndrewJ
11th October 2013 at 4:38PM
Thankfully Poynton’s regeneration was designed with locals in mind, not the whinging motorists who just want to speed through it and have no stake in living there. Quite unusual not to be thrall to the car nowadays, seems to be quite an unexpected step into the 21st century. I think the new layout is a vast improvement. Means I can cross London Road without fear of being knocked down by speeding cars now.

This may be a step too far into unknown territory for some, but if you come from Hazel Grove and drive towards Wilmslow why don't you consider another route or method of transport? You do realise that you don't actually need to drive through our town to get to where you're going don't you? TransportDirect.info (or a streetmap) is your friend.

As for the new road, you will still get massive holdups at the London Road/SEMMMS junction, as it is forecast to have a large increase in traffic over now, and presumably the cycle on the lights will have to be fairly long to allow the SEMMMS traffic to flow freely. So I wouldn't hold your breath about it being much quicker to get where you are going if/when SEMMMS is built.

nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
11th October 2013 at 8:42PM, Edit: 11th October 2013 at 8:46PM by nedsram
The junction generally works well. However yes, many people don't indicate, which often results in people waiting when they needn't have, which wastes capacity. The whole idea is to introduce uncertainty, and since you can't make any assumptions, you should always be prepared for the unexpected. Most people treat the roundels as roundabouts and give way to traffic from the right. However it's unwise to make assumptions about what the other driver will do. Proceed slowly and be prepared to stop if the other driver doesn't give way. If there is a clear gap, make use of it. Too many people seem to freeze at the sight of a junction with no "rules". In general though, do as the signs at the gateways say, "shared space village - give way to all".

I prefer this setup to sitting at a red traffic light when there is no traffic on the cross road, but unable proceed because big brother says "no", and I know that I will get three penalty points if I dare to disobey. Yes I'm thinking of Fiveways. Why did they put the traffic light cameras back? Did the accident rate suddenly increase while they weren't there?

Incidentally the number of significant collisions at the Fountain Place junction since shared space was introduced can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. The collision rate was far higher when there were traffic lights. It is also now much easier for pedestrians to cross.

Incidentally it has been shown that traffic throughput at a junction increases when traffic controls are removed. When there were lights, traffic regularly queued back into Woodford during the evening peak hour, and sometimes even as far as the A555. This now seldom happens, except when they have installed a traffic light to control traffic during roadworks. I rest my case.
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..