This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
29th June 2012 at 7:43AM
Adora Wrote:

Well, erm, I just over-ruled it! I'll try my very best to get over the wrath of the mod in question.

As you were.
No wrath, error on my part, sorry guy's.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Wrinkly
Idler

Wrinkly
30th September 2012 at 2:04PM
You are implying that introduction of uncertainty is a good thing. More uncertainty could be introduced by have a four way crossroads with the directive 'Nobody has the right of way'. So much for uncertainty.

It may look 'pretty' with the 'large mosaic' pattern BUT any that makes the roundabouts less obvious is stepping away from safety.

There will be collisions occuring at this junction once local have gained confidence to move faster through it when a non-local approaches the worse for wear.

Cosmetics before Safety in my opinion ... but that's my opinion.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
1st October 2012 at 3:24PM
Wrinkly Wrote:

You are implying that introduction of uncertainty is a good thing. More uncertainty could be introduced by have a four way crossroads with the directive 'Nobody has the right of way'. So much for uncertainty.

It may look 'pretty' with the 'large mosaic' pattern BUT any that makes the roundabouts less obvious is stepping away from safety.

There will be collisions occuring at this junction once local have gained confidence to move faster through it when a non-local approaches the worse for wear.

Cosmetics before Safety in my opinion ... but that's my opinion.

Hi Wrinkly and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I am saying uncertainty is a good thing and it IS a four way junction where nobody has right of way and everybody has right of way! And it works! Speeds approaching the junction down. Through-put is consistent and waiting times have been reduced. Serious accidents have not happened. I'll repeat the stats I have from May. I'm just waiting on the updated ones. Once I have them, I'll post them here.

Police RTC data � injury and �damage only� for (Aug 2010 � Mar 2012)
�          Injury stats in time frame: 37 for all Poynton post codes
�          In construction zone [gateways define the zone]: 9, of which 1 is classed as serious (see below for description)
�          Out of zone: 29 of which 6 are classed as serious
Or put another way, within the construction zone: 1 in 9 ratio for serious injury. In the remainder of Poynton: 1 in 4 ratio.
�          Damage stats: 153 RTC recorded by the Police across Poynton in the period - Only 13 in zone (discounting car parks)
The one serious injury within the zone reads as follows: �PEDESTRIAN CASUALTY PASSENGER ON BUS, ARRIVES AT STOP AND RUNS AROUND INFRONT OF THE BUS WITHOUT LOOKING INTO MAIN CARRIAGEWAY. VEHICLE 1 ONCOMING PASSING STATIONARY BUS COLLIDES WITH PEDESTRIAN.�

And you make a really good point about locals gaining confidence and subsequently speeding through. It's been really amazing but the local population have really got their heads around the scheme and there has been a noticeable increase in politeness and general good manners about the village. That's not a researched fact, that's observation and anecdotal based. But basically, drivers and pedestrians are making eye contact, waving each other through etc and that level of consideration for others is filtering through in to all areas.

I'll update this thread with a video about the scheme shortly. It's still in production but it shows the before and after stories.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
2nd October 2012 at 4:56PM
The evidence seems to suggest it is serving its purpose so far and working well.

Personally i hate it, feels like chaos to me, although it does look quite nice!

I would be interested to see if there are any figures for through put, i wonder if there are less people driving through it day to day. I never really drove through Poynton much before, but if and when i do need to now i would certainly take an alternative route where possible and practical. I wonder if other people are too?
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
2nd October 2012 at 7:41PM
Adora is back banging the drum about this scheme again, she was quite vocal about 2-3 years ago when it first came to light. I recall someone not being in favour of it who she had a slight swipe at.
I have asked a couple of times (this thread) but have had no answer. How much did this scheme cost and what has it achieved?. I travel this route often and have found (personal opinion) no real benefit, the benefit meaning does this outweigh the cost of the project. saturday morning 11-12 o clock is a fair reflection. Traffic now backs up beyond the bulls head, not every saturday this is granted ,but on more occasions than before the scheme was introduced. Is there someone out there who can tell me how much these scheme cost?. Here endeth my rant.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
2nd October 2012 at 8:08PM

Oe-er, you really don't like me, do you Comfortablynumb? Why is that?

So, being interested and inquisitive about local issues and having actual facts and information about things is "banging on" is it? Discussing this on a discussion forum is "banging on" according to you? Having a different opinion to someone and putting my case forward is taking a swipe at someone is it?

If I can get actuals in terms of costs, as you've requested, I'll post them. If I can't (and I haven't so far) then I won't. I would just point out that it hasn't cost Stockport/Hazel Grove residents anything since it's in East Cheshire. Does that help?

ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
2nd October 2012 at 9:13PM
Hello Adora, I wouldnt say I dont like you , I dont even know you, but ive always found some of your replies to have a touch of a smart a*se feel to them, but thats another story....If you could find out the cost and to what benefit it has created this would be great news. Regarding your comment on not costing stockport/Hazel grove residents anything, no that doesnt help.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd October 2012 at 7:21AM
I drove through Poynton the other day and thought that the scheme seemed to work very well and it certainly looked very good. I like others however do feel a bit nervous about the lack of clear boundaries, probably only because I’m so used to the road/pavement/traffic light way of doing things.

However I must admit given a choice (which I know we can’t for the obvious reasons) I for one would have certainly preferred Poynton’s way of controlling the flow of traffic than the Groves multi traffic light system. As to which way is more effective and safe I’m not sure and I guess only time will tell.

I can’t help but wonder though if Sainsbury's/Asda had got their heads together sooner and pulled down those derelict cottages and made better use of the space and their money (instead of sticking up daft sculptures and building junctions that don't work) that something like this scheme could have been introduced to the Grove.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
3rd October 2012 at 3:42PM
The one serious injury within the zone reads as follows: �PEDESTRIAN CASUALTY PASSENGER ON BUS, ARRIVES AT STOP AND RUNS AROUND INFRONT OF THE BUS WITHOUT LOOKING INTO MAIN CARRIAGEWAY. VEHICLE 1 ONCOMING PASSING STATIONARY BUS COLLIDES WITH PEDESTRIAN.� How a missed coma can make me chuckle!

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
3rd October 2012 at 7:49PM, Edit: 3rd October 2012 at 7:54PM by Adora
Totally agree with Serenity.

Blue - behave... angel

ComfortablyNumb - I've spoken with a key Cllr involved with the Poynton shared space scheme this afternoon. He's run through the economics of the scheme with me but I cannot publically publish a final cost figure yet as it isn't finished. There's other stuff to do and it's all part of the same fund. The funding came from Poynton Town Council, SEMMs, the sustainable road user group (can't remember the name at the moment), Cheshire East, Waitrose...

...but he has said I can invite you to speak to him, face to face, if you are genuinely interested in learning more about the costs and the benefits to the Poynton economy, road safety, traffic management. I explained to him that you are probably not on the Poynton electoral role, however, he insists he would be pleased to meet with you as you're interested. Please email me on flora.adora@gmail.com and I will give you his contact details. smile

Coleman - traffic levels back up to pre-scheme levels - about 26,000 vehicles a day. That's independently verified by the way.

Nothing new reported to the police since last data published in May.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>