Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
3rd January 2012 at 4:58PM
Why does everyone rip on Limecat? I suppose I'm yet to make a comment worthy of feeling the wrath, and I hope it stays that way.

So to be clear, have their been any accidents at Fountain Place? and where is the fountain going? Will passing HGV's be able to use it as an undercarriage wash service??
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
3rd January 2012 at 5:12PM, Edit: 3rd January 2012 at 5:20PM by Adora
Limers, you were good to go first time for me - made perfect sense.

TallPaul, the original fountain has been tarted up (by a local company I believe - it looks fab) and has been shifted to just outside Mates DIY. A new fountain is planned to spurt out of the larger of the two rotaries.

As per nedsram's post, there have been no reported accidents at the Fountain Place junction and none reported by the CCTV control room - although I'm waiting on the latest reports from both the police and the control room - hence why I didn't want Limers to rubbish nedsram's remarks because he's in possession of the same information as me. (I'm talking about the period whilst the temporary lights have been turned off and junction has been put in to practice.)

I'm really hoping to get the latest reports through either tonight or tomorrow.

Have a read of the following info if you're really interested in what's happening at Poynton.   Also - KEY FACT:- the approach speeds at all four points in to Fountain place have reduced to less than 23 MPH whilst the temporary lights have been out.

======================================================

TONIGHT ON BBC RADIO 4 - THINKING STREETS.
The streets beneath our feet are getting smart. Pavements are melting into the roads and traffic lights are disappearing. Inspired by the work of scientists and engineers in Holland and Japan , this is a revolution in urban design. Part of it is a movement known as 'Shared Space', which promises to dramatically change the way cities look and how we experience them. In Thinking Streets, Angela Saini asks if all these ideas really fulfil the promise of making us all safer, happier and more efficient?

Two years ago, at the heart of London 's shopping district, a strange thing happened. The big red buses, white vans and black taxis that usually skimmed pedestrians as they tried to beat the maddeningly slow grid of traffic lights at Oxford Circus, were stone still for thirty seconds. And suddenly every person standing at the junction scrambled into the middle of the road.

In one stroke, life changed for the 90 million people who step through Oxford Circus every year. Not only has it made life easier for those on foot by giving them 70% more space, it's also faster and looks neater. In 2010, the council even claimed that it contributed to a 7% rise in annual sales in the area's shops.

The Oxford Circus diagonal crossing was one of the first steps in a growing movement to change streets in Britain and all over the world. Today, engineers at Imperial College London are helping to overhaul South Kensington's museum district, with pavements being levelled down to the same height as the road and new criss-cross paving patterns designed to calm drivers (the scheme is nearly complete and the result is striking if rather disconcerting). In Portishead, near Bristol , a trial that removed traffic lights from a notoriously congested crossing was such a success there are plans to roll it out across the town. Other schemes already constructed include Brighton's New Road and another in Ashford , Kent . But Shared Space has been labelled 'speed-bump science' by its critics - Jeremy Clarkson among them. True, one of the guiding principles is reducing traffic speed, often with the use of raised brick-paved areas (very long speed-bumps!) but proponents insist Shared Space is a creative and radical solution aimed at improving the experience of all road users. And the benefits go beyond reduced accident rates to a host of socio-economic benefits for the cities, towns and villages choosing to adopt such schemes.

In practical terms, a shared space scheme will involve removing the distinction between streets and pavements. No barriers, few if any road markings, no pedestrian crossings, and little in the way of street signage. The result of this street minimalism is that you enter a shared space very much at your own risk. And this is the key to improving safety, traffic flow and quality of experience. The early roots of this innovative concept lies in the work of the late Dutch traffic engineer, Hans Monderman. A passionate advocate of shared space, Monderman and colleagues started small - more than twenty years ago, converted an intersection in the northern Dutch province of Friesland from a conventional signal-controlled intersection to a brick-paved street, giving equal priority to cars, people and cycles. The idea was that people would use their own minds in navigating the streets, building their own informal traffic rules. Research has shown that these kinds of shared spaces automatically reduced traffic speed to under 20 mph - the threshold at which the chances of being severely injured in a road accident plummets. This highly counterintuitive approach - increasing risk decreases accidents - is finding favour (albeit slowly and not without opposition) all over the world.

Limecat
Banned
3rd January 2012 at 11:15PM
TallPaul Wrote:

Why does everyone rip on Limecat?

It's not everyone. It is 'someone' who is scared of the Internet so feels the need to hide behind their anonymous information and play keyboard warrior. When confronted with binary code they soil their pants.

Basically, it's some gimp that hasn't got an opinion on anything unless it involves me. So they sit hitting 'F5' awaiting my replies.

I am happy to be bashed for my postings but 'Guest' is an e-coward who hasn't got the conviction of their opinions (hence why Admin busted them/it for posting under pretend profiles). Whilst most people probably have their gas/leccy meters under their stairs it is safe to say that 'Guest' has a little Limecat shrine with candles, pictures and his/her little rocking chair in the corner.

Very sad really but we all realised that of 'Guest' a long time ago.
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
4th January 2012 at 1:48PM
I wish I knew who 'Guest' was. Had a read of the Chippy topic however! Hahah light entertainment for a Wednesday anyway!

Back onto Poynton the lights are back as expected and chaos will surely ensue.

RE: The roundabout at Dickens Lane is this now decided to be permanant? I used to live just before Copperfield Road I'm so glad we moved.

Back in the Grove finally!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
4th January 2012 at 4:36PM
welcome home tallpaul
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
5th January 2012 at 1:10PM
DICKENS LANE temporary roundabout (near the dry cleaners).

A large body of residents have requested the roundabout at Dickens Lane be made permenent because it works.

The demolition of the bus stop at the bottom of Dickens Lane (on London Rd South) was caused by a young man driving too close to the vehicle in front then swerving to avoid the leading vehicle when that slowed down to negotiate the temporary mini roundabout.

It is interesting to note just how quickly the RTCs at that point stopped occurring. In other words, people have learnt that there has been a change to the layout (signs did not work in their case) and as a result there have been no reported RTCs there for many, many weeks. If the problem was a fundamental one then RTCs would occur at regular rate. The conclusion is that the earlier RTCs were attributed to driving without due care and attention.

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
5th January 2012 at 1:12PM

Information about bumps and RTA at large Fountain Place junction at the bottom of Park Lane, Poynton:-

All data collected so far says NO ACCIDENTS whilst the lights were off. That's info obtained indirectly from the police and CCTV control room up until and including last night.
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
5th January 2012 at 2:25PM
Hmm well thats good, I'm still not 100% convinced of this working long term.

What about people travelling through who don't have a knowledge of the area. Or indeed the general populus of the area being unable to read basic road signs (through being old or uneducated). It seems to rely on people thinking "Last time I came through here I nearly had an accident."

It just doesn't seem right.
graham steele
Drifter
7th January 2012 at 1:13PM
what stupid misguided idiots dreamed up the road layout in poynton, this road is a major road with a massive amount of traffic on it, so what do the narrow minded planners do they narrow it to further delude themselve into thinking they live in some quiet little rural village without any thought of the misery they cause to commuters and residents alike get real planners or better still resign and let somebody who lives in the real world takeover and sort this mess out especially the timing of the traffic lights.
vege
Drifter
7th January 2012 at 3:37PM
having walked passed the queue of traffic at Poynton pool on Friday ,about 1230,I shall definitely give the junction a miss and avoid Poynton until it is sorted.Goodness knows what it is like at crawl time[rush hour]
A lot of traffic is going via Chester Rd/WoodfordRd.to avoid the new road layout,thus causing problems there.A roundabout at this junction would be a great help.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>