Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
2nd January 2012 at 5:32PM
Having not yet had the time to ask everybody in Cheshire for his/her opinion, I can only speak for myself I'm afraid. Local police have reported an overwhelmingly positive response to the new layout at Fountain Place, including people who thought it would never work, and were pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it worked in practice. And the work is not even finished yet, and not all of the signage is yet in place.

As for the roundabout at Dickens Lane, it was originally intended as a temporary measure, but also appears to have public support, particularly from people who previously found it difficult if not impossible to get out of Dickens Lane in busy periods. It's true that there have been some teething troubles, in part due to insufficient or hidden by bushes signage, but more because when something is changed, some people continue to behave as if nothing had changed. Sometimes this behaviour can be quite bizarre. Would you stop at a Pelican if the light was green and wave waiting pedestrians across against a red man? After they replaced the zebra crossing on Chester Road Poynton with a Pelican, that's precisely what some people were doing.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
2nd January 2012 at 8:48PM
alty323 Wrote:

IM SPEAKING FOR THE WHOLE OFF CHESHIRE that has to use this awful, stupid, road layout. will some one listen !!!
Intrigued to hear that folk from Nantwich to Neston and from Alsager to Audlem are exercised about this. For sure, Cheshire folk have an exemplary sense of social responsibility if they're that assiduous in bearing one another's burdens ...
mummz
Drifter
2nd January 2012 at 9:12PM
iused to go to poynton alot with my young son for a wonder round the shops but stopped going with him as you teach your children to stop a the pavement and he near ran in front of a car when it came to crossing the road as he could not reconise the difference between the road and pavement and new round about is awfull is the rain and dark but we shall see if any markings r put down
Limecat
Banned
2nd January 2012 at 10:11PM
nedsram Wrote:

FYI there have as yet been no accidents at Fountain Place.

I know for a fact that is complete and utter rubbish as a guy that I work with was rear ended between the 2 roundabouts about a week ago. Please do not make up false statistics.    

Guest Wrote:

iused to go to poynton alot with my young son for a wonder round the shops but stopped going with him as you teach your children to stop a the pavement and he near ran in front of a car when it came to crossing the road as he could not reconise the difference between the road and pavement and new round about is awfull is the rain and dark but we shall see if any markings r put down

I could understand that to be honest. As you drive down Park Lane that is what really jumped out at me, as well as the fact that old people think the dissecting parts of the roads are pedestrian crossings so they just step out.

In my opinion it looks good, will be an improvement but you need something in the middle of the roundabouts (large circular planters?) and some form of markings/walls between them to help bind it all together in the mind of the driver.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
2nd January 2012 at 11:45PM
Limecat Wrote:

nedsram Wrote:

I know for a fact that is complete and utter rubbish as a guy that I work with was rear ended between the 2 roundabouts about a week ago. Please do not make up false statistics.    

Nedsram hasn't made up false stats Limers. I'll explain that in a day or two.

Park Lane and Fountain Place have been developed using the principles of shared space, hence the low kerbs, crossing points etc. Nobody has priority - the space is shared!
Limecat
Banned
3rd January 2012 at 12:38AM
Adora Wrote:

Limecat Wrote:

nedsram Wrote:

Nedsram hasn't made up false stats Limers. I'll explain that in a day or two.

Park Lane and Fountain Place have been developed using the principles of shared space, hence the low kerbs, crossing points etc. Nobody has priority - the space is shared!

Of course it is a made up statistic.

Someone is saying there have been no accidents when I have seen the damage to a car that has been in one. Nothing wrong with my eyes, no reason for the guy to make up the scene of his non-fault accident. Silver 51 plate Focus was the car hit from behind.

None = 0, which is less than 1 to the nearest whole number, therefore claiming that there have been no accidents is misleading.

Is this some semantics crap like 'fountain place' is only one roundabout or something equally as lame, so unless it's on that roundabout it doesn't count?
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
3rd January 2012 at 1:25AM

Nope - not playing with the language - honest Gov'. Just hold your fire whilst I get the info I need to explain. Not being coy either!
Limecat
Banned
3rd January 2012 at 2:13PM
Just got it clarified by my work colleague, when he said it was between the 2 new roundabouts he was thinking of those 2 at the end of the mad mile as 1 roundabout, the other being at the bottom of Dickens Lane.
Drifter
3rd January 2012 at 3:06PM
Limecat Wrote:

Just got it clarified by my work colleague, when he said it was between the 2 new roundabouts he was thinking of those 2 at the end of the mad mile as 1 roundabout, the other being at the bottom of Dickens Lane.
You are starting to ramble limecat,go and lie down in a dark room.
Limecat
Banned
3rd January 2012 at 4:24PM
He was meaning between the end of Dickens Lane and the end of Park Lane.

I thought he meant between the 2 at the end of Park Lane.

Is that simple enough for you to fathom, 'guest'?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>