<< 1 2 3 >>

jjpot16
Villager

jjpot16
Re: Poynton Phase 2 & Hazel Grove
23rd April 2011 at 4:27AM
Guest Wrote:

get a life Adora

What a nasty and totally uncalled for comment. I personally think this thread by Adora is exactly the kind of thing I come to this forum to hear about. It was informative and relevant to Hazel Grove residents.So thank you Adora for posting it.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
slim
Townsperson

slim
23rd April 2011 at 5:01AM
Guest Wrote:

get a life Adora

don't know why you have made a comment like that surely Adora's thread is what this forum is about
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
23rd April 2011 at 6:47AM

Thank you all :-)

The BAE site isn't really what this thread was about but I do think it's going to be interesting to watch what happens there. I can imagine that if the land is turned into a housing development Robot, some shops and maybe a school will be included but unless it's a totally gated and self-sustaining community, the people that live there will have to venture out at some point! Extra pressure on local infrastructure but none of the tax benefits!

There's also some green-belt consideration to be taken into account but I don't fully understand which parts, if any, are in green-belt - will try to find out.

Tiffa - it's heartening to know that some industry (local employment) will be taking BAE's place.
John Chadwick
Drifter
3rd November 2011 at 11:18PM
I have a substantial wager that the scheme will, at the very least, not deliver the intended benefits and, at worst, be a disaster. The councillors have been duped by the ‘traffic planners’ and the raft of ‘experts’ employed to dream up the wackiest of schemes, whose only objective is to pursue the ideological objective of making life a misery for drivers whilst giving pedestrians and cyclists excessive priority, in the hope that it will reduce car usage. All subsequent words in quotes are from the Poynton Town Council website.

Terms dreamt up in transport laboratories such as “Gateway” and “Shared Space” are euphemisms for reducing the width of two lane carriageways to one in order to minimise the space available for vehicular traffic, hence creating congestion. This is clear from the website: “A Gateway is a physical feature designed to slow traffic and make drivers aware that they no longer have an absolute priority.” And “Shared Space is a proven concept for handling the interaction between the motor vehicle and other road users”. That means very little space for vehicles and acres of room for ambling pedestrians, who are confused by the concept.

In case you were in any doubt about the true objective, the website then says, “The most important factor will be the slower speeds of traffic assisted by making the road surface less comfortable for the driver. For the pedestrian, there will be wider footpaths with only one lane of traffic in each direction.”

The inherent inability of most drivers to position and manoeuvre their vehicles appropriate to the traffic conditions, means that aim of “reducing the time taken to pass through the same junction, even though vehicles travel at a slower speed” will not happen. The unholy mix of dithering drivers perplexed by gateways and shared spaces and 40 tonne HGVs enjoying 500 metres of forward vision, anxious to be on their way, will create a very static environment.

People of Poynton and all those who are unfortunate enough to have to travel through it, welcome to the urban nightmare. If you thought the current delays with the temporary lights were bad, just wait until Christmas when the full nonsense will be revealed in all its glorious confusion and the stationery traffic stretches to the horizon.
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
4th November 2011 at 5:05PM
I remember reading this thread when Adora first posted it, although at the time I had no understanding of what people were enduring as I only ever travelled in the direction of Manchester.

Last week I had to drive to Macclesfield for the first time in many years and I was gobsmacked at the chaos. Admittedly it was 'school run' time but we queued for about 40 minutes at the first temporary lights in Poynton, and then for 20 minutes on the way back (in the middle of the day).

I can't really add much to this discussion but I really felt for the residents of Poynton, and all those that have to travel either way on a daily basis. The whole thing is insane
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
4th November 2011 at 8:11PM
I've got stuck a couple of times trying to get to the Farmers Arms to watch the football. I even had to get out of the car and walk the queue was so bad - upside was that I built up a bigger thirst.
slim
Townsperson

slim
5th November 2011 at 12:47AM
Robot69 Wrote:

I've got stuck a couple of times trying to get to the Farmers Arms to watch the football. I even had to get out of the car and walk the queue was so bad - upside was that I built up a bigger thirst.

there's always an upside
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
6th November 2011 at 5:00PM
BAE Woodford is not being rented to JCB the owner of JCB is buying it.
The new proposed houses are not all social rented either but are affordable homes sold at a permanent discount. There are millionaire mansions also planned there.
I am told the runway will stay for the owners personal private use and also that plans for a film studio are also possible but as usual until a firm planning application is put in no one knows anything for certain.
JohnOrton
Idler

JohnOrton
12th May 2012 at 7:52AM
Hello. I'm an ex Grover but I joined to ask about the new roundabouts at Poynton. I had the benefit of using them early on Easter Bank Holiday Monday and flew through. With no other traffic of course. A big improvement on the roadworks!
I thought to myself (in the same way as earlier contributors) which utter dingbat came up with this idea???
As a solution for a sleepy village somewhere in deepest Cheshire it has logic. As a junction on the main route between Macc and Stockport it's barking!
Unless there are expectations with SEMMS that might make the A523 redundant.
Anyone had the benefit of the junction at rush hour? Was it worse or better than the old traffic lights?
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
14th May 2012 at 5:24PM
I went through it saturday evening and it seemed to flow quite easily....not sure what all the fuss is about. Its a big improvement over what it was from a visual point of view.
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..