10 10 / 10 from 1 Review

Poynton High have poor Ofsted

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
Poynton High have poor Ofsted
11th February 2014 at 3:29PM
Apparently now official that Poynton High are no longer 'Outstanding' as graded by Ofsted ... In the recent inspection they even missed 'Good' and have been categorised as 'Requires Improvement'. Must be a blow for the new Head Teacher there and perhaps devastating to those who chose this school for apparently the wrong reasons. Fighting talk from the Head in a letter to parents saying how within two years they will be back at the top ... Glad I didn't send my youngsters there.

I wonder how easy it is to change High Schools mid course?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
Re: Poynton High have poor Ofsted
11th February 2014 at 3:33PM
Do you know which areas they've dropped on?

Poynton was our second choice
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
11th February 2014 at 3:44PM
The Heads letter to parents.......

Dear Parent(s)
Please find enclosed a copy of our final Ofsted Report following our recent inspection. The inspection team looked at every aspect of school life in forensic detail; working with us to celebrate our successes while validating our areas for further improvement.
I would like to personally thank all of our students for their continued exceptional performance during inspection and all parents/carers who answered the Ofsted Parent View questionnaire. The vast majority of you said that you are extremely happy with our school and the quality of teaching, with 98% of you saying you would recommend our school to other prospective parents.
We have been extremely pleased with the key findings of the report. The inspection team found that our students “…behave extremely well around the school. They are polite, friendly and respectful.” That “the overall attainment and progress of students…has been significantly above national averages”. Our “students in the sixth form achieve very well and make a valuable contribution to the school community.” “Teaching…enables students to achieve well over time. In the majority of lessons, they make good progress and learn well.”
I would like to encourage you to read the report fully as there are many findings to celebrate, especially the successes of our students. As you do so, you will no doubt have a range of questions. Not least the reasons behind the inspection in the first place. Ofsted initially took interest in the school following concerns raised directly to them after media coverage in November which mentioned our school and the local community. Once Ofsted undertook some research and realised that we had not had a whole school inspection since 2008, they therefore decided it was appropriate to undertake an inspection.
Let me deal with the situation regarding the concerns raised first and foremost. Ofsted unequivocally supported the school and have said that “leaders in school are proactive in ensuring that safeguarding measures are strong. Staff work extremely well with parents and outside agencies to make sure students’ welfare needs are met”. Directly relating to the complaints “…substantial evidence provided by the Head Teacher, linked to the wider issues raised by the complaints to Ofsted, demonstrates that the school has robust systems and procedures which contribute strongly to helping its students stay safe”.
Overall, the inspection team found that we have:
 very high exam results at every level with results “significantly” above the national picture
 very good value added (i.e. we do better with our students than others would do with our students)
 very good behaviour and safe children
 highly qualified staff who have exceptional subject knowledge and are highly skilled at preparing students for exams
 strong teaching which enthuses and involves students in their learning
 a great and vast range of opportunities for students
 a very strong Sixth Form (courses, results, opportunities and impact on the wider school)
 very effective links with the primary schools and transition is a clear strength of the school which helps students make a strong start to their Key Stage 3 (Yrs 7-9) learning
 achieved significantly above national targets for students making and exceeding expectations in English and mathematics
The Inspection Team was also able to validate for us our key school improvement areas and support us in fine tuning the areas of our work that will form the School Improvement Plan moving forward. The key aspects that we will be continuing to develop are to:
 close the achievement gap between our Pupil Premium students and our non-Pupil Premium students. Last year, the very few (i.e. less than 15) Pupil Premium students we had did not do as well as other students. We
need to ensure they do. (Pupil Premium refers to students who are eligible for Free Schools Meals or are Looked
After Children)
 ensure students who are School Action Plus (i.e. supported by outside agencies) do as well as their peers who
are not designated School Action Plus
 ensure all subject areas are as good as the best in school, removing any variability and inconsistency
 further improve governors’ knowledge and ability to challenge the school
 make sure our many, truly outstanding teachers get to systematically support others across the school
Overall, we have achieved a grading of “Good” for Achievement, Teaching and Learning and Behaviour and Safety.
However, extremely disappointingly, we were graded as “Requires Improvement” for Leadership and Management.
(The category of Leadership & Management covers senior, middle and governance levels of leadership). Once one
category is given “Requires Improvement”, this is the only overall grade you can achieve, in spite of the fact that all
other categories were assessed as “Good”. The judgement for Leadership and Management mainly comes about
because the gap in achievement for the very few Pupil Premium and School Action Plus students has not closed over
the previous three years, in fact it had widened. The report also highlights some inconsistency and variability at a
subject level and that we are already actively addressing these aspects.
Our school is an exceptional school in which the vast majority of students achieve brilliantly. The report is not saying
our students do not achieve, it is saying that not all our students are achieving in the same way. A VERY small
number of students (less than 10 last year) did not do as well as their peers. As this happened in previous years as
well, ultimately, Ofsted made the decision to classify this attainment gap under improvements required in
Leadership & Management rather than the Achievement category.
Within 18 months we will be inspected again and at that point we will be re-graded as “Outstanding” once more.
The inspectors said “…we have not inspected any school better placed to go straight back to outstanding”.
The bottom line is that in our school, over a number of years, if you have been one of the very few students who has
benefited from the Pupil Premium grant or had supportive involvement from an outside agency, you may not have
not done as well as your peers. Almost all other students have consistently achieved significantly over and above
government expectations, but as a result, the gap for these few students has grown. We must ensure that all
students see the same levels of achievement and therefore close the gap for the few students who do not yet meet
these same very high standards.
Poynton High School will be regraded as “Outstanding” in 2015, of this I have absolutely no doubt. Not because it is
a “hoop to jump through” but because it will represent a position where we are truly meeting the needs of every
one of our 1560 students. Every student, no matter what their barrier to learning, achieves at the same outstanding
level.
There are always many questions which arise out of a school inspection so may I encourage you to either e-mail me
directly (dwaugh@phs.cheshire.sch.uk), keep an eye on our website or you may wish to keep track of our updates on
twitter by following me at “PHS_Headteacher” where I will be regularly putting on Q&A posts and I’ll also be able to
keep you up to date on our rapid journey back to outstanding.
Yours faithfully,
David Waugh
Head Teacher
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
11th February 2014 at 4:53PM
That was a lot to take in lol!
We recently changed our kids from high lane school which I really wouldn't recommend to Brookside across the a6, a few years ago Brookside was seen as school in demise and was going to be closed, after the gov put money and time In to it it's one of the best hidden gem schools in the area, my kids love it and so do half the other kids who left high lane!
They have great facilities for the kids the teachers are nice and the head teacher is so friendly it's scary!, now if that's from a school that's had effort pumped into it maybe poynton will be flying again after this report?
We are starting to look at which school next for our girl who goes high school in a few years so are always listening to what people are saying about both schools.
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
11th February 2014 at 5:29PM
My son is in year 11 at Poynton, and it's a great school.

He's had no issues there and he's done very well and been well supported.
The teachers are motivated and motivating.

I'll be happy to send my daughter there in 2 years!

By the way as above, we've been involved with Brookside with our kids for years, and it's a great school too!!
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
11th February 2014 at 7:07PM
Cheers mozza, when we moved up this way we was lead to believe high lane was the school to be at but over the years our kids where there, they're friends slowly drifted over the a6 to Brookside and we even heard a story which we know was true one girl in my daughters cals wasn't allowed to use the toilet and wee'd herself because the teacher wouldn't let her go!!
The final straw for me was the amount of non afterschool activitys for the kids, my boy plays football at the weekend and the lads he played with was telling us how they did afterschool football etc and he was doing nothing, now he does something with Stockport county at Brookside and the little girl does dancing too!
Amazing school and the one regret was that we didn't transfer them sooner, they're so much happier and that's the most important thing.
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
11th February 2014 at 7:41PM
Glenandem my daughter dances there too.   Must know each other.

We moved my son to Brookside years ago when St Stephens on Bosden Farm closed... Warren wood was getting packed to the rafters, and we thought we might be moving up to high Lane. We didn't quite get that far, but by then he was settled and my daughter was along, so the rest is history.
We lived through Brookside going into special measures, and could see the commitment of the staff, I was happy to keep the kids there.
Brookside will always suffer for average grades because of the high number of special needs kids, but they all achieve really well. My daughter is quite a high achiever, and they've supported her well.
I've seen a few kids go from full time wheelchair users to acting ina school play with the others in a couple of years, and it brings a tear!!

It's the same with Poynton... There's so little bullying and messing about, the vast majority of kids are good kids, knowing what I know, it's still a no brainer.   Parents will be put off it, but that's good, smaller classes and more chance of getting in for my daughter, and just at a time when the new head teacher vows to make it outstanding in 18 months. ..
Can't think of a better time to send em!!!
Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
13th February 2014 at 8:58AM
If you read the report carefully, the essentials (in direct relation to the children) are all good.

Ofsted reports just do not give the real picture in my experience.
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
13th February 2014 at 9:37AM
Fi_nix Wrote:

If you read the report carefully, the essentials (in direct relation to the children) are all good.

Ofsted reports just do not give the real picture in my experience.

Totally agree.
Unfortunately people just look for the headline in these things.   It's like a football match...a team might lose a match but play amazingly. .. The only thing that gets written down are the scores in the end.
Anyway, Poynton has been making great use of the outstanding fora few years, so they can't complain when it happens the other way around.

The most important thing here is that the majority of patents and kids, if asked, would say they were really happy with the school, and there isn't a lot of schools that can say that.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
21st March 2014 at 2:48PM
Poynton High hits the news again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2585993/He-said-dead-inside-Inquest-hears-anguish-schoolboy-days-killing-falsely-branded-rapist-drug-dealing-gang.html