This thread was submitted to SEMMMS / Hazel Grove & Poynton Bypass / A555 MAELR

<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13 >>

Damien
Villager

Damien
Re: Airport Relief Road - Traffic Plan
22nd December 2012 at 5:23PM
iancook Wrote:

Norma, suggest you spend a little more time researching the 'FACTS' which Delores is quoting and I know that you will find them all true, unlike the reports, figures and draft proposals presented to us the public by SMBC in the hope we will believe them.
With the prospect of this road becoming a toll road to pay off the debt, would you still be happy to support it and more importantly pay say £1.50 to get to the airport from Hazel Grove?

Yes, lets all follow the facts of one random woman obsessed with a bit of woodland than official documents from a Council!

I am not saying the Council are correct, as I haven't the time to check. But what you are suggesting is ludicrous.

PS: You forgot to shoehorn in that it is a "road to nowhere"!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
iancook
Villager

iancook
22nd December 2012 at 5:46PM
Damien

You totally missed the point with not being bothered to read the relevant SMBC information and the very relevant points lots of people are making on this and other sites relating to the errors being presented in the SMBC documents and presentations.

Its not just about the woodland, but that would probably stop the road if it were prevented...What the argument is about is how will this bit of road ending on the A6 reduce the traffic congestion problem in Hazel Grove, High Lane, Disley, Poynton & Bramhall without the full SEMMMS road package as was originally proposed. The SMBC official documents confirm the increase in traffic!

So lets all take the word of SMBC, sit back, accept more HGV's in the Grove, lose our greenbelt and local countryside, watch all the houses and industrial estates pop up, and in 5 years time still be writing on here about "why did we ever let this road to nowhere....(got it in for you!) be built??
Dolores
Villager

Dolores
22nd December 2012 at 5:49PM
Damien, if I am the random woman you are referring to, please take another look at my previous post. It is precisely because the Council documents are not official that PAULA are so concerned. They have opened a public consultation with documents in draft form - residents could base their judgement on them, only to be told that the facts have been changed at a later date. That doesn't seem fair or democratic.
I am not obsessed with the ancient woodland. The issue is that it is protected by law. I don't believe anybody - in an official or private capacity - should be able to pick which laws they adhere to and which they don't.
Dolores
Villager

Dolores
22nd December 2012 at 5:50PM
Damien, if you tell me which suggestions you believe are ludicrous, I'll identify the facts to support them.
Andy
CiviCr

Andy
22nd December 2012 at 5:54PM
iancook Wrote:

"why did we ever let this road to nowhere....(got it in for you!) be built??

It is only a 'road to nowhere' in its current form as the A555 or the middle section of what is planned. If the current plans go ahead it will connect Manchester Airport to Hazel Grove ergo no longer a road to nowhere.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
22nd December 2012 at 6:35PM
What's so special about this woodland then?

Is Robin Hood hiding in there? Did U2 plant a Joshua tree? It's only a few trees, they will probably line the bypass with some new ones like the one at Alderley.
Damien
Villager

Damien
22nd December 2012 at 6:37PM
My point was not who is right or wrong, but that I would rather not take the word of somebody I do not know posting on a message board. I have not seen any links to concrete evidence and was shocked when Dolores said Paula were funding a report to discredit the Council.

I am all for independent reports, however you should not determine the outcome before you start, you should determine your stance based on the outcome!

As an example of the typical "facts" here, you state there will be more HGVs in the Grove, can you provide me with the evidence to back this up, other than your 'hunch'?

As for losing our countryside, as regrettable as it is, that is called progress. The house you live in was once part of the countryside, but it was lost to make way for housing.

(And thank you for the "road to nowhere" comment, I feel better now)

Dolores, I was not saying your suggestions are ludicrous, that comment was aimed at iancook.

I agree that if woodland is protected by law, then it should stay protected. However with all due respect, you seem to be a one trick pony who grabs anything you can to boost your campaign against the road.

No matter who is right or wrong here, at the end of the day everybody posting on this topic has an agenda. We are all posting half truths and misinformation, whether this is intentional or not, in the hopes of supporting our agendas. I just wish this people would be more honest about their intentions and stuck to the known and proven facts.
iancook
Villager

iancook
22nd December 2012 at 6:46PM
Norma, great wind up merchant, snow is black and SMBC don't tell fibs? You carry on living in panto land.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
22nd December 2012 at 7:06PM
Should I take it that you do not know what's special about this woodland then? It was a serious question. Just plant some new ones, it's only a few trees, we aren't talking about flattening the Houses of Parliment here.
Dolores
Villager

Dolores
23rd December 2012 at 2:11PM
I could cut and paste some information on ancient woodland but it's probably easier if you look it up - there are lots of websites with plenty of information. My view is that not only has it existed for at least 400 years, it's also crucial to maintain the balance of nature that is so easily upset. Look at the floods which are ruining lives on a regular basis. Only 2.7% of England is still ancient woodland so I don't think it's too much to ask that it be left alone. By definition, it cannot be replaced and the twigs the Council plant alongside new roads are no match.
One famous example of deforestation is that which brought about the end of a civilisation on Easter Island. Removing trees led to the soil losing its nutrients and the crops failed. The birds disappeared as they had nowhere to nest. There were land slides and flooding and eventually what people were left were forced to leave.
Now I'm not your traditional tree-hugger. I don't knit my own muesli. But I can see that you can only mess with nature so much before it rebels and if we decide it's OK to continue to cut down trees, who is going to say when it's time to stop?
This is a good article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/8741141/Planning-reforms-could-lead-to-loss-of-ancient-woodland-warns-trust.html
Damien, what PAULA is doing is trying to secure funding to challenge the Council's traffic modelling - obviously the result of an independent survey may discredit their figures or it may support them.
As far as the increase in HGVs is concerned, it is stated in the Business Case that the purpose of the road is to attract freight traffic from Derbyshire, Yorkshire and beyond. When the plan was to continue the road up to Bredbury, the Council admitted that traffic leaving the M60 and taking the new road would have to be 'restricted' to avoid congestion. That suggests it will be very popular with HGVs. As Cllr Hogg has admitted, if that section is ever built, it could well be a toll road.
Honestly, we're not interested in scare-mongering or circulating half-truths. We just want Stockport Council to be honest about the effects of the road and its true purpose which, to date, we don't believe they have been. By posting on forums such as this, we hope to encourage people to have a really good look at the scheme and make sure they are aware of all the facts before they make up their minds about it.
<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13 >>