12 Supporters 11 Opposers

update on bypass

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 >>

evans
Drifter
update on bypass
16th October 2010 at 4:21PM
can anyone give me an update on the much needed bypass i have loooked on the website but its all doubledutch to thanks
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
Re: update on bypass
16th October 2010 at 5:55PM
May be clearer following George Osborne's statement to the Commons on the comprehensive spending review this coming Wednesday - I think it's at 12:30 pm - when the full implications of the cut-backs will be revealed, which will presumably give some indication as to funding for the road-building programme.

I suppose you know that the section from Hazel Grove to the M60 at Bredbury's off the radar, at least for the foreseeable future. As for the Hazel Grove > Airport bit, I'm not holding my breath ....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
18th October 2010 at 3:43AM
The thing is one part without the other will only make the A6 busier. If they are going to scrap it then they should scrap it all.Which i suspect will happen anyway.

The men in Westminster couldn't give two hoots about a few roads this far north of Watford.

I doubt i'll ever see a bypass in my life time.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
18th October 2010 at 5:37AM, Edit: 18th October 2010 at 5:39AM by JohnEllis
Coleman Wrote:

The thing is one part without the other will only make the A6 busier. If they are going to scrap it then they should scrap it all.

Not sure you're right. I think the new road would tempt traffic heading from Derbyshire into central Manchester, or for the M60 to travel further north and west, to go via the airport so that they can get directly on to the motorway network to continue their journey - or, if they're heading for central Manchester, to go in via the A5103 Princess Parkway, which is a much smoother run than the narrow, traffic-light-ridden A6 through Stockport, Levenshulme and Longsight.

Coleman Wrote:

The men in Westminster couldn't give two hoots about a few roads this far north of Watford.

Too true - Britain gets more London-centric every year that passes. Perhaps we need devolution for the north - wandering the web a few months back, I actually found a site for a "Mercian Independence Party", arguing that we'd be better governed by breaking up England into its ancient component parts!

Coleman Wrote:

I doubt i'll ever see a bypass in my life time.

Me too. Though they've just leaked that the second Runcorn-Widnes bridge will be built, which suggests that some road-building money's earmarked to come through for the north. On the other hand that'll be so expensive that they may say "that's the lot for all you northern clog-wearing proles way up there ..."
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
19th October 2010 at 3:47AM
Maybe your right, i must admit i don't know how much of the traffic on the A6 is going where. Although i suspect if a partial bypass is going to help it won't help much.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
19th October 2010 at 10:31AM
Coleman Wrote:

Maybe your right, i must admit i don't know how much of the traffic on the A6 is going where. Although i suspect if a partial bypass is going to help it won't help much.

When you think about it, if you were driving a white van from Matlock to make a delivery in Manchester city centre, which would you rather do: plough all the way up the A6 into central Manchester, or head (in imagination!) via the the new road to join the M56 at the airport, and then cruise into Manchester up Princess Parkway on a four-lane highway with virtually no parked vehicles and half the number of traffic lights?

Or if you were taking an artic from Derby to deliver a load in Middleton, would you struggle up the A6 to join the M60 at the Pyramid, or go via the airport and M56 to get on to the M60 at Northenden?

I reckon that, for a professional driver, there'd be no contest, and, if the A555 from Simpson's Corner to the airport does get built, I think we would see a significant reduction in traffic through the centre of the Grove.

But, like you, my hunch is still that it won't happen - that it'll be mothballed yet again ....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
24th October 2010 at 6:41AM
Does anyone know why Alderley Edge has got their by-pass? (yet the years roll on for Hazel Grove)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
24th October 2010 at 4:01PM, Edit: 24th October 2010 at 4:03PM by JohnEllis
News item about it tonight on BBC tv North West - apparently it's completed, and was opened this weekend for people to walk on it, the usual preliminary before they let the traffic take over.

My impression was that it got in just before the financial crisis burst - but then there's some very well-connected people living thereabouts ...!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
dinosaur
Drifter
24th October 2010 at 5:59PM
The answer to why Alderley Edge got its by-pass may have had something to do with some of the locals in 2005. They had an orchestrated campaign where they took it in turns to press the Pelican crossing buttons on the Southern approach to the village in the morning peak.
This went on for a number of weeks on different days and caused Chaos, I know because I got caught on a number of occasions. There would appear to be nothing illegal in what they did, and I am sure their impact had some bearing on them getting the road, it certainly helped!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
25th October 2010 at 4:26AM
Come on then Grovers..... get you fingers out..we could cause 'more' chaos in the 'Grove'
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
25th October 2010 at 5:22AM
Belvoir Wrote:

Come on then Grovers..... get you fingers out..we could cause 'more' chaos in the 'Grove'

We don't need to the councils doing a pretty good job of it themselves.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 >>