12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Rant - SK postcode, Andrew Stunell, Bypass

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
Re: Rant - SK postcode, Andrew Stunell, Bypass
18th January 2011 at 8:20AM
I dont always toe the party line when it is wrong for the grove and Andrew Stunell isn`t my favourite person at the moment. He says he is working hard to get the government (with no money thanks to labour) to build the bypass so I remain hopeful.

Torky tip was not a decision that the council made but labour dominated GMWDA if we have an axe to grind it is with them as they run the service. Stockport only has one vote out of ten. I am not particularly a fan of Greater Manchester anything as 6 labour votes take all the good things to their towns and we get the dregs.

Can only keep fighting and arguing for Stockport don`t win many but do win some or has everyone forgotten road charging we stood alone forced a referendum and you repeat you were great in voting no. That was against Lib Dem policy so we do when we can win against the odds.

Please remember who is leading the Government and although some lib dems have sold their souls I have not
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
18th January 2011 at 11:33AM
Just a few points:

1) Given the fact that he scaremongered about Tory & Labour hikes in tuition fees at the election and yet voted for them in November and used the Tory VAT Bombshell argument, do you think Andrew Stunell has sold his soul?

2) So now it's Labour's fault? Only a short while ago you were telling us it was Viridor's fault?

3) Don't forget the Tory opposition to the congestion charge! I remember delivering the literature with the shark on it.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Martinsbo
Drifter
19th January 2011 at 4:09AM
Hey Oliver how is it that certain people on this site, can state how Andrew Stunnell has done a back flip and sold his Soul since the election and some of us have “Post Pending” by the Administrator for our comments
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Adora
Area Admin

Adora
19th January 2011 at 5:19AM, Edit: 19th January 2011 at 5:21AM by Adora
Guest Wrote:

Hey Oliver how is it that certain people on this site, can state how Andrew Stunnell has done a back flip and sold his Soul since the election and some of us have “Post Pending” by the Administrator for our comments

Martin, please read the first post on this thread here:-

http://www.mycountry.co.uk/town/forum_posts.asp?TID=655&FTID=2508

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th January 2011 at 6:43AM
If you register and create a profile - your posts will appear instantly rather than having to be approved by the Administrator, as Adora has pointed out.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Drifter
19th January 2011 at 8:49AM
Cllr Hogg - I’m glad to hear you publicly state you are sufficiently independent not to toe the part line where you think it is wrong and I applaud you or anyone who takes that approach. ALL political reps should do the same, but often don’t have the courage or guts to….

However, as Oliver pointed out, you previously said the blame for Torky Tip closing lay exclusively with Viridor. Elsewhere, you have given re-assurances that it would definitely stay open and that the executive member Cllr Bodsworth had promised you, it would stay open (albeit possibly without the ability to dispose of waste that now goes in the black bin).

So, is it Cllr Bodsworth who has made a promise and reneged upon it? Is it you that has made a promise you could not fulfil? Is it the case that whilst you told us Stockport Council would keep the facility going even if Viridor would not, you, or Cllr Bodsworth or A N Other have changed their minds? What is the truth please?

Also, please point us in the direction of the meeting minutes for example, where you stood your ground and did not toe the party line AFTER the decision was reneged upon about the tip staying open. You will gain considerable respect from me at least, if you can show that despite your 'on the record drum beating', the decision to renege on your previous promise to keep the tip open was entirely out of your control – please show us that you went on record defending the wishes of the Hazel Grove residents you represent, defending its closure, AFTER repeat after the promise to stay open was reneged upon.

I doubt very much you will substantially answer these questions. Please prove me wrong.

And for the avoidance of any doubt you may have, my posts are not in any way shape or form politically motivated.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
19th January 2011 at 8:55AM
Oliver the legislation for allowing the situation with first FOCSA (remember them) and now Viridor to operate our refuse services was done by your lot (mrs thatcher) who also allowed privatisation of the railways and bus services and now it looks like it will happen in the NHS and education (acadamies although that was labour ). There is a place for PUBLIC SERVICES and certainly a need for them to be locally administeredyour lot have tried to get all schools to do it. There are local schools in HG actively considering it.

I agree tories did campaign against congestion charging but only here in Stockport Tory run trafford eventually were for it. If it hadn`t been for LIB DEM run Stockport we would all be paying for it

It is when you follow the legislation trail the Torie fault for allowing it, that set up the possibility that Labour dominated Manchester could use the situation to their advantage. So I actually blame both of you.

On tuition fees I think on balance I am againat them as education shpuld be free. I could write hundreds of words on keeping toung people out of the dole queue and off the unemployment figure, which is one of the real reasons for massive expansion of further education under Labour unfortunately the chickens are coming home to roost with the massive rise in graduate unemployment

Now I know you will attack me again on my belief but I remain adamant that if I say something then I believe it
So watch my lips. Privatisation is wrong in most cases.
Tuition fees are wrong. Acadamies are wrong. Watch my voting record I will continue to use my vote in favour of H.G. and against all others if required. If that makes me a rebel to my party I can tell you they already know
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th January 2011 at 12:03PM
Councillor, with the greatest respect you have completely failed to address any of the points I made in my previous post. Whether or not it was due to actions of the Conservative Government in the 1980s that set the ball rolling with the 'privatisation' of public services, this is about you as an accountable representative of the people - financially remunerated for doing that job - failing to give straight answers on the issue of Torkington Tip.

I ask you again to give clarity to the people who you are responsible to - you said that the Council would protect, then Viridor were shutting it and now the Labour-dominated Greater Manchester Authority is responsible. Stop passing the book and shirting the issue - WHO is responsible?

I will not debate privatisation here as you know we will disagree sharply and the good people of this forum, I imagine, have more pressing things on their mind than to see the two of us bicker.

But I will take your point up on free schools, which as you say some local schools are considering. These will be schools removed from local authority control at the will of local community, private or parental voluntary decision. The vast majority of the take up so far has been from parents wanting BETTER schools in their area. These schools will be entirely comprehensive and free.

I understand that removing power from local authorities makes you nervous, Councillor. I believe that ordinary people know what is best for their children and local areas than politicians and bureaucrats. That is a point on which we will have to agree to disagree.

On the congestion charge, your answer is a complete fabrication and with the utmost respect to yourself, self-righteous. Counts were conducted in each borough of Greater Manchester and each borough rejected it outright. The idea that Stockport Lib Dems were solely responsible for its rejection is total nonsense - not least because the NO campaign was administered centrally across Manchester and funded largely by Peel Holdings.

Finally, I draw you back to the point - do you in light of the VAT increase, support for what you call 'privatisation' policies and the broken tuition fees pledge believe that Andrew Stunell has sold his soul?

I believe it is very worrying if an MP cannot command the respect and support of his own local Lib Dem colleagues and I as a constituent would like to know what the extent of division, if any, there is.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
ire
Villager

ire
19th January 2011 at 12:45PM
Yawn...yet more petty party political pointscoring...

Getting back to the original thread, I see the A556 upgrade/bypass has been agreed. Now that is in our new Chancellor's constituency and, unlike the AE bypass, wasn't signed up before this insuferrable coalition took office. The HG bypass is a collective failure on all sides - depressingly I cant see that changing in my lifetime.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
19th January 2011 at 12:46PM
At the end of any political infighting which bores people to death I think.
The responsibility for the closure of Torkington tip lies with Viridor.
I was told 2 years ago we were successful in keeping the tip where I was misled with was for how long, I am now told there will be some tipping facilities when it is redeveloped. What and how much has not been made clear. The whole responsibilitywith the closure lies right back at the beginning with something I know Oliver will disagree with me on Privatisation, that gave GMWDA the power to appoint Viridor and gave them the power to redesign the service and close the tip the council disagreed with the move but had no power to stop it.

Whether Andrew Stunell has sold his soul is a matter for him. It is not what I would have done.
The Lib Dems should have supported the tory gov. on an issue by issue basis so allowing the MP`s to follow our party policies instead of binding us into a formal situation

We did not get a vote on the tip or I would have voted against closure
We did not get a vote on Viridor or I would have again voted against it.

VIRIDOR are closing the tip not the Council and we have no power to stop them
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 >>