12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Rant - SK postcode, Andrew Stunell, Bypass

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Rant - SK postcode, Andrew Stunell, Bypass
16th January 2011 at 4:49PM
Let me put it this way in response to nimbyism. I live in an area which would 'suffer' as a result of the bypass being built. The lovely rural views that I enjoy when I walk my dog and the peace and serenity of the area I live in would be severely diminished.

This area needs a bypass - working people struggling to use the A6 at the minute to commute to work and the families that live close to the A6 subjected to pollution, dirt masking the front of their homes, ridiculous levels of noise at all hours of the day and the road being so heavily congested that they are apprehensive about their children crossing it and thus reluctantly keeping them from playing out.

Why should I be allowed to benefit from something as tedious as picturesque views at such a great cost to the detriment of others? The answer is I shouldn't and as such I am FULLY behind the bypass.

Any political representative who decides that their position in political office is an end in itself deserves to be kept as far away from holding that office as possible! I sincerely hope this is not true of Mr Stunell.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Drifter
16th January 2011 at 5:58PM
Mozza Wrote:

This post is a bit over the top.
But I kind of agree with the sentiment...is he really concerning himself with this, with all the other issues that need dealing

Are you suggesting mozza that he has bigger things to deal with, and therefore the by-pass is low priority by comparison? If you are, I can kind of understand your sentiments - unemployment for one remains a worry for many, today tomorrow next week compared to some far off new road which has been talked about for years. But, if you stop and consider the cost to the economy of the slow and standing traffic caused by inadequate roads, investment in a by pass is needed more now than ever. How many unproductive hours are wasted every single day by thousands of people sat on the A6? What is the financial cost to individuals, companies and tax revenue by sitting in stationery traffic? What is the cost to peoples health, breathing in the emissions? How about the hours spent away from our families, sat in bumper to bumper traffic?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
16th January 2011 at 6:13PM
I certainly agree with some of the points in the above three posts.
I'd hate the Tori party to have an influence in this area, not only because I'm pretty much opposed to them ideologically - I grew up in a Tori voting family, in Bramhall, but in the 80's the education facilities were awful, with terrible crumbling buildings, sharing tatty books, teachers strikes, awful hospitals that were falling to pieces (I've two children now and all those things are miles better) - but also on a local level - I hated the last election with the terrible, parachuted in, cynical and disconnected campaign and candidate.

But...although our coucillor in particular should get plaudits for the fact that he's passionate and at least answers to the people, it's a very good example of what is said above - sometimes you get the feeling that things are being said and done to tow the party line - answers on the stupid recycling policy to strike me as something they feel has been brought in, and that now cannot be fought against.

When I think about it, I feel that in an ideal world, these councillors and MPs should be elected to fight for the people. I feel that now they're there to fight for what the council and government feel is right, instead of the interests of their constituents.

And it's not enough to retort that these people work very hard. I know they do - our councillor especially - but so do I. I work very hard, because I'm expected to. It's not something I can go to my boss and argue. I'm doing my job instead of someone else, because I work harder at it than they would!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th January 2011 at 6:49AM, Edit: 17th January 2011 at 8:14AM by OliverJohnstone
Mozza I respect your opinion re the 1980s. I of course don't necessarily share the implications of what you are saying but each to their own.

I must however ask you to check your facts regarding our candidate at the last election. He was NOT parachuted in. Any attempt by any political party or organisation to say that he was is a LIE. He was selected by the local conservative party in an open, democratic, free and fair selection process. He had lived in the constituency for almost exactly the same amount of time (if not longer) as Andrew Stunell had before he stood for election in 1992.

It is also a very difficult question about what representatives should do. At the end of the day MPs are elected as local and national representatives and Councillors also have to consider Borough wide issues too. No one wants to be entirely parochial. My point simply is that if you promise to do something at election time - you deliver it!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Martinsbo
Drifter
17th January 2011 at 7:32AM
Oliver totally agree in what you say if you promise to do something at election time - you deliver it! Alas our representive Andrew Stunell does a back flip on tuitions fees and votes FOR tuition fees
When earlier he quotes:
"Under secretary for communities and local government (Andrew Stunell) said: "University education should be free and everyone with ability should be able to go."
Man of his word?? what a ******
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
17th January 2011 at 8:38AM
Oliver,

If I have the facts about the last conservative candidate wrong, then I take it back.
Actually it was more of an impression I got than anything else - and I certainly don't represent any organisation in HG or anywhere else.

I actually felt annoyed by the whole thing last time, I was totally disaffected by the whole lot of them.
Whereas I felt the old lot were no longer listening, the other candidates, especially the one you are talking about, gave me the impression of just turning up very close to election time. Some of the issues that were brought up angered me too - my brain has chosen to forget much of it - but I remember reading some of the pamphets and being completely uninspired. I feel that way about all of the parties' bumf now though.
I even emailed at one point to gently question the benefits of some of the 'issues' and I was never emailed back.
Which sort of comes round nicely to the whole point of this thread - that article in the first post is communicating for communications sake.

But anyway, like you say, it's each to their own, I make my own mind up about these things, as should everyone.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Drifter
17th January 2011 at 8:52AM
Im still waiting for Kevin to respond to the various questions. He said only recently he does listen, and that he comes on here every 3 days. Hopefully he will respond before 5pm today as me, 3 feet of heavy duty chain and a large padlock have an appointment with the gates of Torky Tip.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th January 2011 at 9:02AM
As the chap who ran the Conservative general election campaign, I shall certainly take on board everything you have said. Given it was my first time being involved in one let alone running one, I appreciate feedback positive or critical so thank you for comments.

I'm not having a go at you especially but others have said similar things which are not true. Whether they were pedalled by anyone or any group of people I have no idea but it is important that we as voters get the truth and not spurious lies.

Anyway this thread isn't about party politics and as such we ought to leave it at that.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
17th January 2011 at 9:42AM
Oliver - yes you are right, it's not the thread for that, interesting or not.

Although I hate to say it, and if you can hear this from the lay-est of lay people, I think with a more gradual and useful getting to know period, you lot could be in a very strong position next time.

Just not with the shouty buses. :D
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
17th January 2011 at 9:48AM
Guest Wrote:

Im still waiting for Kevin to respond to the various questions. He said only recently he does listen, and that he comes on here every 3 days. Hopefully he will respond before 5pm today as me, 3 feet of heavy duty chain and a large padlock have an appointment with the gates of Torky Tip.

Let me know what time you're doing it and I'll pop over with the camera and cheer you on.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 >>