12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Let me get this straight...

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
Re: Let me get this straight...
3rd July 2013 at 9:17AM
Serenity, I'm not a NIMBY though. Arguments like that are akin to saying 'We are from Hazel Grove, we are too lofty and important to have an increase in traffic. Let Bredbury have the problems that we're against!'
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd July 2013 at 2:59PM, Edit: 3rd July 2013 at 3:13PM by Serenity
It's nothing to do with being a Nimby Norma. It's just about stating the facts that were laid out before us a long time ago and have been pushed at us ever since. This road was and still is being put forward as a way of improving congestion now for the local communities such as the Grove. And as such gained approval and was called a relief road in the first place.

Now if the information given still stands true and this new road will act in someway to relieve the traffic congestion for the Grove then that's great but in your honest opinion Norma how do you see this road relieving any of the congestion that it has been promised (all along) to relieve.

And as for being concerned about the Grove's backyard, well don't you think that the residents of the Grove have a right to be concerned, look at what happened to the Grove so far ..more gridlocks and pollution with the possibility of even more on the way 24/7.

And as for pointing the finger at me with the not in my back yard assumption, well look towards the Marple decision with ASDA in mind and judge for yourself how being concerned about your own backyard turned out for the chosen few.
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
3rd July 2013 at 3:51PM
I tend to agree that the road has always been sold to Hazel Grove residents as a means of revitalising the centre of Hazel Grove by reducing traffic congestion.

On that basis, I always assumed there was a grand scheme to revitalise Hazel Grove that had been developed over the last 30 years that the councillors have been campaigning for the road.

Now the road is on the way, I feel it would be worthwhile for the councillors to reveal this scheme, please tell us there is more than a park and ride.
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
3rd July 2013 at 4:12PM
Hi spectrum I always thought we was being sold a complete bypass and bypass meaning bypassing hazel grove not ending starting in it, then a few years ago it got scaled down and down due to costs and realistically the bredbury section will never go ahead so I don't understand why push for a 290 million 6 mile stretch of road that's only going to help traffic coming from that direction of the airport hence the new name of the route "the airport relief rd" surely with thrm giving it a name like that makes it obvious it's not going to help our local area?
Anyway I feel we're going round in circles as this discussion has gone on in other posts pages long!, everyone has they're opinions and rightly so but at the end if the day the council will do as they please as we all know and in my oppinion are just trying to get the road so they get the much needed funds in the councils pot rather than concentrate on the current roads we have that need relaying and better traffic management and I personally think that will help more?
Has anyone notices the rising sun lights have been played with last few days and traffic backing up past subway in the morning rush hour as Thryre only letting a few cars through every time they're green, wasnt like this last week and before?
newt21964
Villager

newt21964
3rd July 2013 at 4:26PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

the only thing that will give proper relief to H.G. is the complete link to bredbury and the airport but government wont finance it at this time.
To refuse to build the first part of it is crazy in my opinion, it would have been better to build the half to bredbury first but as this is entirely in Stockport it was unaffordable instead 3 local councils pooled money and the airport chipped in to get matched funding from the DOT to at least start this road.
Once it is uderway campaigning will begin to build the other half. If this takes the same time as the first half I probably won`t see it built. But without the airport link the Grove will never see a bypass.
As for the traffic lights versus an underpass, this would require the take of land to be much greater as slip roads wuold be require this would move the road closer to Darley road residents and require most of brookside garden centers parking space.
One poster actually suggests a roundabout not a bad suggestion and one I will raise with the team.
Mini roundabouts like Poynton at Sainsburies however is silly, have you seen the traffic back up they cause on macc rd. As a regular user of this I can confirm it is much worse than before, some times backing up to the HG boundary.

Agree with much of the above, However I do feel a proper grade seperated junction is indicated on Macclesfield Road, particularly if the hope is eventually to get section to Bredbury built.

I would suggest a junction similar to that at wilmslow road. A miiror image version would allow access to and from brookside garden centre in same way Wilmslow road junction is to be altered to keep access to Clay Lane. If neccessary lost carparking for brookside could be replaced by using land to east of current site.

This option would allow for future capacity, not be as enviromentally damaging as option 2 was and as bypass traffic lower, I would think better visually and noise wise for local residents than the "preferred" traffic light forest.

As for previous poster a roundabouit at A6 junction would be better, particularly if bridges incorporated to allow bypass to continue under as grade seperated junction if extended to bredbury later.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd July 2013 at 6:40PM
I've noticed that over the past week or so that the traffic that is constantly gridlocked at the junction of Sainsbury's seems to be flowing better. Don't know if these other lights are effecting the flow in the Grove. But whatever it is it seems to be making an improvement. Long may it last..
Goggins
3rd July 2013 at 9:06PM
There seems to be some confusion about this road. It wasn't resurrected from the schemes dropped by the Coalition in 2010 because of some sudden impulse to ameliorate the traffic problems in Hazel Grove. It was announced by George Osbourne as a means of supporting development as he explained at the time:
"We can today give the go ahead around the country to 35 new road and rail schemes that support economic development. In the North West. We will electrify the transpennine express between Manchester and Leeds, build the Manchester Airport and Crewe link roads [...]"
It may be part of an older scheme, developed locally, to help traffic flows in Stockport but is, ultimately, a scheme that helps Manchester Airports Group plc's Manchester Airport City development that could be pulled off the shelf, dusted off and quickly announced. I feel a little sorry for the poor local councils that have had to try to make this half-a-road seem worthwhile to the areas they serve, having had it dumped on them by central government.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
3rd July 2013 at 10:24PM
Serenity Wrote:

It's nothing to do with being a Nimby Norma. It's just about stating the facts that were laid out before us a long time ago and have been pushed at us ever since. This road was and still is being put forward as a way of improving congestion now for the local communities such as the Grove. And as such gained approval and was called a relief road in the first place.

It's everything to do with being a NIMBY. Do I care about this relief road being built? No, I am in favour of it. It was dubbed a 'Hazel Grove bypass' initially I do believe and not a relief road. Basically a NIMBY approach. All this talk of local communities is utter hogwash. Is Bredbury the Outer Hebrides? No, it isn't it's a local community that you are happy to try to use to 'bulk up' the argument but you want it to be their problem.

Serenity Wrote:

Now if the information given still stands true and this new road will act in someway to relieve the traffic congestion for the Grove then that's great but in your honest opinion Norma how do you see this road relieving any of the congestion that it has been promised (all along) to relieve.

Yes, as long as you don't live in a crap part of Hazel Grove.

Serenity Wrote:

And as for being concerned about the Grove's backyard, well don't you think that the residents of the Grove have a right to be concerned, look at what happened to the Grove so far ..more gridlocks and pollution with the possibility of even more on the way 24/7.

And as for pointing the finger at me with the not in my back yard assumption, well look towards the Marple decision with ASDA in mind and judge for yourself how being concerned about your own backyard turned out for the chosen few.

They have a right to be concerned about pollution? Based on what? The only pollution stats that I have EVER seen posted on this forum were by Ian 'Jackanory' Cooke and I blew those straight out of the water as they actually showed a huge NET decrease in pollution figures year on year and I believe that the figures were massaged on the later report as they were rounded to the nearest whole number. LMAO.

People talk about pollution and gridlock with complete and utter ignorance to the subject matter. Cars have never been as clean as what they are today, in certain parts of the country running a car would would actually improve the air.

Please do not insult me by picking up on a word like 'pollution' and thinking it has any bearing unless you can back up what you are saying with statistics over a timeframe. It's akin to all these 'Green Muppets' that cry like little girls about hydraulic fracturing, claiming it uses x amounts of water (a typical Bakken 'fracked' well will use less water in it's entire lifespan than a Californian Golf Course does in 3 weeks! They moan about chemicals - 98.9% of a typical frack fluid is water, of the remaining 1.1% the vast majority is sand. There are now chemical free frack fluids in place etc).   

Why people are against evolution is beyond me? If you do not want it, stop using the Internet, hang up your car keys, move out of your house and fend for yourself in the 'Wild' of the ancient woodland. I suspect you will soon change your mind if you did that and I like to get 'back to nature' once in a while to keep me grounded.

Selfish people will result in a selfish nation.
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
4th July 2013 at 12:27AM
This country could save a load of money if the school run was addressed. Im sure that many drivers on this site notice a major difference when schools are off, travel time is almost cut in half. But get an accident, broken down lorry or car in or around stockport, the whole town comes to a standstill. Thats before you have a relief road. Also traffic lights need to correspond to the major traffic flow. The A6 especially the junction between great moor and dialstone lane.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
4th July 2013 at 9:13AM
Well according to your assumptions Norma I probably do live in the crap part of Hazel Grove. But as such I'm able to judge first hand as to the issues that have resulted from your so called evolution process. The same process that lead us to believe that needed more supermarkets in the Grove.

I'm sure that these stores did their initial research that showed a so called need to progress away from the local shops but was any actual thought ever given to the amount of extra traffic these large stores would bring, or how they would be able to deal with this extra traffic before the plans where given the go ahead.

If you need so called proof Norma please feel free to visit http://www.greatairmanchester.org.uk/GreatAir/ where you can clearly see the evidence from the figures given. But of course even these figures can be subject to low or high readings depending on which part of the Grove you put the monitor in the first place. However I'm sure that if you where to put one in the centre of the Grove it would show the figures going through the roof.

Now If that's still not enough proof for you Norma please feel free to come and judge for yourself. See the congestion in the centre of the Grove, add to that the countless car parks that have sprung up all over the place to support these stores over the past years. See the traffic pouring in to the Grove from the same NIMBY'S who didn't want a large supermarket in their area but are happy to pollute the Grove in order to get to ours. The same NIMBY's who stoped your so called evolution happening in Marple.

I have to agree with Marple that sometimes not all evolution is great and worthwhile. But just because something is seen as good commercially it doesn't necessary equate to positive progress. Services and skills can be lost in the process. Look at the trams that not so long ago were seen as old hat but are now been heralded as a cleaner more efficient use of energy. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to move forward. But as for eating our way into our beautiful countryside that has taken hundreds of years to evolve in the name of progress. Well that's something that we can't bring back as easily as the trams.

I've never thought of myself as a NIMBY but perhaps I have to agree with you on that point because I do care a lot about the area I live in and less about your pompous attitude which seems to indicate from what you say that where you live determines your attitude to the area you live in. Well if caring about the area I live and the air quality makes me a NIMBY that's ok with me. I'm sure I'm in good company with the likes of Andrew Stunnell and his against evolution friends.

I'm not against evolution just against more pollution.... Better solutions could be found...

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>