12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Hazel Grove Bypass

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 >>

tim4444
Idler

tim4444
Hazel Grove Bypass
7th July 2009 at 8:41AM
It is way past the time we should have had our bypass. When I was young and lived at Chapel-en-le-frith my parents were heavily involved in the campaign for their bypass. The result was a day of insurrection where protesters kept crossing the road on the crossings and causing a complete snarl up of the traffic. In the end they got their bypass and it was all legal. Is it not time the people of Hazel Grove did the same? With a few protests and with backing from our MPís we may get our bypass. It is about time we stood up for our standard of life as no one else will. Are the residents of Hazel Grove too nice to protest? If anyone is interested in starting a protest, pass the word and let see if we can get the ball rolling. A day of pain on the roads could lead to a nicer Grove.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
Re: Hazel Grove Bypass
7th July 2009 at 9:54AM
Tim4444 Read the other posts. By-Pass agreed and in planning stages. Funding in place. So all is moving forwards.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
wotnot
Townsperson

wotnot
7th July 2009 at 1:01PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

Tim4444 Read the other posts. By-Pass agreed and in planning stages. Funding in place. So all is moving forwards.

Hmmmm, still wouldn't hold my breath, i'm planning on living a little longer yet ha ha ;)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
8th July 2009 at 4:14AM
wotnot Wrote:

Hmmmm, still wouldn't hold my breath ...

Same thought struck me. My suspicion is:

1. No start-up date for the bypass announced before the general election;

2. Public finances dire, but no politicians in the two large parties have the balls to prejudice their electoral chances by really telling us how it is. (Honourable exception, of course, being us Lib Dems/Dr Vince Cable!);

2. After the election, government in power announces a raft of public expenditure cuts due to said dire state of public finances;

3. Bypass putted into the long grass yet again.

Of course, in the event of a hung parliament, as the bypass route runs through Lib Dem seats, money might then somehow materialize!

Maybe I'm too cynical ... comes with age ...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
8th July 2009 at 7:40AM
I've only been here a couple of years, so I find the bypass topic a bit confusing.

I thought we were getting a link road to the airport, rather than a bypass. Or is that what people mean when they talk of a bypass?

I was thinking that a Hazel Grove bypass would be for bypassing the A6 to get to Manchester. I've looked on the SEMMMS site, and I'm none the wiser.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
8th July 2009 at 10:40AM, Edit: 8th July 2009 at 10:45AM by JohnEllis
The southern section of the bypass, silenzi, for which (choosing my words thoughtfully!) the money is said to be available also provides a link road, avoiding urban clog-spots, for airport traffic. But it is part, though only the southern part, of the original bypass scheme

Hazel Grove suffers from the fact that it sits on what's really the only main road south east out of the Manchester conurbation into central and south Derbyshire, which is why we really suffer. Obviously drivers travelling from those areas and wanting to get on to the motorway network, which you can do at the airport, would presumably prefer to take the new road, rather than plough though all the lights and congestion on the A6 to join the motorway in Stockport.

I'm told the hope is that drivers heading for central Manchester would also prefer to go via the airport, and then head northwards into Manchester on the M56/A5103 Princess Parkway/Princess Road, which has, at the very least, no less than four clear lanes, is unencumbered by parked cars and, in comparison with the A6 through Stockport, Levenshulme, Longsight and Ardwick, is consequently less congested.

So what we would be left with in the centre of the Grove would be just local traffic heading into Stockport, Levenshulme, and, perhaps Burnage and Didsbury. It does sound as if this scheme could considerably reduce traffic in the centre of the Grove, and northward.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
9th July 2009 at 1:54PM
Thank you! I understand now!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
10th July 2009 at 3:13PM
The money is not coming directly from the Gov. but via allocations for the whole of the north west funding (now in the pot) being prioritised to this road scheme.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
vege
Drifter
11th July 2009 at 3:34PM
I feel sorry for the many residents of the grove/bean leach/offerton estates which are quiet back waters now but will have the bypass running close to them in the future.I hope the planners put measures in place to keep the noise and pollution to a minimum.this is also important while they are constructing the road.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Adamski
Townsperson

Adamski
12th July 2009 at 2:51PM
Vege, the bypass going from the A6 by the old Simpsons factory over to Bredbury has not been given permission yet. The bit that has been given the green light and funding is the opposite way across to Manchester Airport finally making use of the A555 beyond the Belfry Hotel.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
NorburyNewlywed
Villager

NorburyNewlywed
14th July 2009 at 7:33AM
Is the bit of the bypass which has been approved from Simpsons corner, or just from Brookside? If it's from Simpsons corner then the Rising Sun junction will be a fair bit quieter. I wish they'd hurry up and build the blessed thing, didn't we have a public consultation and planning a few years back? Why do we have to do all that again when what's approved is part of that?

Also, it'll be very handy for me getting to work, so I want it building soon!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 >>