12 Supporters 11 Opposers

bypass consultations responses!

glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
bypass consultations responses!
4th January 2014 at 10:54AM
interesting responses for a much needed road?

Total Number of Neighbours Consulted:     1256
Summary of Responses:     Responses Received: 103
     In Favour: 9
     Against: 87
     Petitions: 1
     Comments: 6
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
Re: bypass consultations responses!
24th January 2014 at 10:54PM
I responded to the whole road proposal/consultation...is that what these figures are for Glen? Neighbours?
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
25th January 2014 at 7:15AM
Town hall bosses in Stockport have backed plans for the airport relief road.

The application has been discussed at extraordinary meetings of two area committees so far this week with both Cheadle and Stepping Hill voting in favour of the £290m road.

Cheadle's councillors voted unanimously while at Stepping Hill the vote was won 5-3.

The application will be debated at Marple tonight and Bramhall and Cheadle Hulme South on Thursday.

The council's planning and highways committee will then debate the plans next Wednesday before the application is referred to the secretary of state for final approval.

At Stepping Hill Area Committee Labour councillor Laura Booth and Conservatives coun John Smith and coun William Wragg opposed the plans.

Coun Wragg has been campaigning for a review of the current planning application on behalf of residents who wanted an underpass at the Macclesfield Road junction instead of the proposed crossroads junction.

Speaking at the Cheadle Area Commitee Coun Paul Porgess said:" The affect on the area in terms of the predicted relief on traffic is highly welcomed as is the cycling provision the road will have."

Coun Peter Burns added:"This plan has been around since the 1930s. It will have a tremendous affect on Heald Green in a positive way. It will remove traffic congestion and improve air quality."

The proposed road would link the A6 at Hazel Grove to Manchester Airport and then link to the M56 via the existing A555.

The government has pledged £165m towards the scheme and with the remaining costs would be met by £105m of additional capital grant funding from the government, and £20m from the Local Transport Plan pot.

If the proposal is given the green light work could start later this year with a completion date of summer 2017.

The details for the extraordinary area committees are as follows:

Marple Area Committee, Wednesday January 15 at 6pm in Marple Senior Citizens Hall, Memorial Park.

Bramhall and Cheadle Hulme South Area Committee, Thursday January 16 at 6.30pm in Bramhall Village Club, Melbourne Road.

Well done wraggy and the two labour mp's who must realise it isn't going to help out area bringing up to anouther 33,000 cars a day to and from the airport!
Madness
Damien
Villager

Damien
3rd February 2014 at 4:35PM
Glen you are against the road and that is great for you, but I do not think these figures back your claims against the road.

I assume you are proudly displaying these stats because 9 people are for it? But missing the part that says only 87 / 1256 are against it? That is a surprisingly small number. That is 7% of people consulted are against the road. Not exactly an overwhelming majority is it?

Not to mention a previous survey I saw on the Manchester Evening News website that said 75% of respondents were in favour of it. I cannot find it at the minute but I will update this post when I do.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd February 2014 at 5:17PM, Edit: 3rd February 2014 at 5:19PM by Serenity
Whichever way you look at the figures the chances of this new road improving the flow of traffic going through the Grove isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference - how can it Damien? But I like your other thread asking for ways to help the situation that we're faced with now.

But what really annoys me is that we're not the ones who created the problem in the first place - take Sainsbury's who would pass plans for such a large store to be opened in the Grove in the first place. Probably the same people who don't want an ASDA where they live. And as such isn't it the responsibility of our local councillors to be looking for solutions instead of just waffling on and on about the bypass being the only solution.

Surely there must be small ways that can be implemented now. One such solution is to get on with opening the new car park near carpet world. Someone also mentioned that there's talk of a new car park being built at the railway station. If these were free car parks with a shuttle bus service laid on I'm sure it would help. But the real problem is the congested at the centre of the Grove created by countless traffic lights and to many cars trying to get to various destinations in the Grove. No bypass will sort that problem out - but car parks on the outskirts might help, but only if using them was made more attractive than not - now that's another issue...
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
3rd February 2014 at 7:58PM
Damien Wrote:

Glen you are against the road and that is great for you, but I do not think these figures back your claims against the road.

I assume you are proudly displaying these stats because 9 people are for it? But missing the part that says only 87 / 1256 are against it? That is a surprisingly small number. That is 7% of people consulted are against the road. Not exactly an overwhelming majority is it?

Not to mention a previous survey I saw on the Manchester Evening News website that said 75% of respondents were in favour of it. I cannot find it at the minute but I will update this post when I do.

if you look at it like that pal,then less than 1% want it lol, if people want it just as much as the people that dont why havent they put in theyre for votes like the ones who could be bothered to vote against?
yes you could say some may be nimby's but whatever way you look at it theres more against than for on the official a6 link road consultation page, i did see the men page myself and oyu dont know if those people asked where being asked about the full bypass to bredbury or just a link road dumping more traffic into hazel grove and surrounding areas!
the more people i speak to everyday, half are only just realising we're getting half a road and soon change theyre mind about it.
you may bump into people that are opposite but i think we're gonna get the airport rd now anyway as pockets have been lined and its all to do with airport city as they call it and some beautiful green land in a few nice areas that will make a few big estates!
nothing to do with hazel grove congestion that we've had for years and years, if stunnel was really that bothered he'd have campaigned for the supermarket in marple to ease traffic in the grove slightly.
Damien
Villager

Damien
4th February 2014 at 12:51PM
Glen my point is that opposition is more important than support in something like this.

For example if I was to build an extension onto the side of my house, asked everyone on my street for an opinion on it and only received one response objecting to it. Should I not build the extension because 100% of respondents were against it? Or build it because 1 out of 40 houses was against it? (obviously ignoring planning permission and such)

How often do you contact companies to congratulate them on what a fine product they have produced? Haven you contacted Samsung (or whoever) to tell them that you love your TV? I highly doubt it.

If we go off your method of "only count the response", Samsung would of discontinued your TV because 100% of the response would of been complaints about the odd one or two faulty units. When the other 100,000 owners of the telly are perfectly happy with it.
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
4th February 2014 at 4:58PM
i see exactly what your saying pal but i can turn it the other way too and when this is a road that people have been saying theyve wanted it since the war lol you'd think people would be replying to the consultation saying yes yes yes.
what we got was the ones who could be bothered to put in a response for yes and that was about 10 to the ones against which was about 90, and the rest cant be bothered to reply so they're not really that bothered and you could even argue that do we even need to spend that much money on a 6 mile road and cut down all the beautifull green land if the response is pretty poor!
as comparing it to a tv and contacting the manufacture, we just expect them to work these days, you might have been better comparing it to something like the service in a resteraunt? some people complain,others compliment and somedont do either!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
5th February 2014 at 3:51PM
Its bit difficult to judge responses as up to not so long ago it was still been marketed like it was going to be a bypass - and with that in mind I think a lot of people voted yes.

I'm not to sure how they gather there final figures but what about the not sure votes which batch did they get put them into - against or for??