12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Airport relief rd update?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
Re: Airport relief rd update?
4th February 2014 at 9:01AM
I'm not going to get in to debate about the benefits and pitfalls of the sainsburys they built, but i have to point out two huge errors in your complaint against it. Specifically your comments about the coop!

First, the coop survived for years after sainsburys was built not months, second the reason the coop closed is because their business model is all fairtrade and (supposedly) high quality, which means high prices, thats what caused it to close and thats why all their stores now are small convenience stores because thats all that will work with that business model. Although even without any big stores they are in trouble!

To be honest, i like the sainsburys store, but i admit the traffic it brings is a pain in the rear. But unless your only priority in life is to have less traffic, you cant claim that the store has ruined the area. Because quite frankly it hasn't all it has done is bring more traffic.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
4th February 2014 at 10:08AM
Do we really need these big superstores Coleman. Perhaps the answer is smaller stores (such as the one Morrisons intend to open in Great Moor). Surely planning permission should be based on the effect it will have on the area it has as a whole and not just about more trade.

Perhaps the answer is to open more of these smaller stores - surely environmentally the smaller stores are more cost effective plus this would enable residents to shop local instead of having to get into their cars to travel to other stores out of their area.

And in answer to such stores as ASDA not ruining the area - well I bought a house in a what was considered as quite backwater street - since ASDA opened we've had 10 times more litter - plastic bags blowing everywhere - Bright security lights blazing to late at night - taxi drivers parking in ASDA with their engines constantly running and worst of all the same drivers peeing down our entries. Not exactly an improvement to the area is it...
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
4th February 2014 at 11:26AM
No we don't NEED these big stores, but people use them, if they didn't they would soon close up!

I think you will find from an environmental point of view bigger stores are better, for one to serve 100,000 people you would only need a hand full of large stores, but to do the same with small convenience type stores you would need dozens of them, add to that the fact non of the small stores will have everything people want and then they have to travel to two or more of them to complete their shop.

Don't get me wrong i would love Hazel grove to have maybe one large store, an aldi and then nothing but small local non-chain stores. But thats not the world we live in any more, unfortunately people want to shop in supermarkets, they want to do 1 shopping trip to one shop and get everything they need there. Plus they want it cheap which no convenience store is!

I'm not surprised that Asda has altered things in its immediate area the footfall is so much higher than coop's ever was there is bound to be an effect.
Thats said although there is nothing Asda can do about taxi drivers taking a leak (maybe a call to their firms), there is plenty they can and should be doing about any rubbish blowing off their car park! I would suggest a complaint about it to asda and maybe the council. Mcdonalds were causing a lot of litter and were made to start sending staff out to collect it!
As for the lights, maybe once again a complaint to Asda will achieve improvements, i'm sure they installed powerful lights because they need them, but maybe the solution is as simple as someone altering the angle a little to stop the light shining beyond their boundaries!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
4th February 2014 at 12:21PM
Coleman Wrote:

No we don't NEED these big stores, but people use them, if they didn't they would soon close up!

I think you will find from an environmental point of view bigger stores are better, for one to serve 100,000 people you would only need a hand full of large stores, but to do the same with small convenience type stores you would need dozens of them, add to that the fact non of the small stores will have everything people want and then they have to travel to two or more of them to complete their shop.

Don't get me wrong i would love Hazel grove to have maybe one large store, an aldi and then nothing but small local non-chain stores. But thats not the world we live in any more, unfortunately people want to shop in supermarkets, they want to do 1 shopping trip to one shop and get everything they need there. Plus they want it cheap which no convenience store is!

I'm not surprised that Asda has altered things in its immediate area the footfall is so much higher than coop's ever was there is bound to be an effect.
Thats said although there is nothing Asda can do about taxi drivers taking a leak (maybe a call to their firms), there is plenty they can and should be doing about any rubbish blowing off their car park! I would suggest a complaint about it to asda and maybe the council. Mcdonalds were causing a lot of litter and were made to start sending staff out to collect it!
As for the lights, maybe once again a complaint to Asda will achieve improvements, i'm sure they installed powerful lights because they need them, but maybe the solution is as simple as someone altering the angle a little to stop the light shining beyond their boundaries!

Marple seems to suffice ok Coleman with only one store and a shopping area - no complaints from the residents there - just the opposite they don't want any big stores.

I have already complained to ASDA and they have told me that once the litter goes beyond the ASDA fence is nothing to do with them. As for the taxi drivers I've also complained to ASDA not just about the weeing but about cars parking so near to houses (just a couple of feet away) with their engines left running. They don't seem to bothered about that either. Perhaps like you say Coleman the next step might be the council.
Damien
Villager

Damien
4th February 2014 at 12:39PM
Of course Marple are ok, they all come here to do there shopping. I thought this was actually your point to begin with?

I do not think smaller stores will be better. They offer less selection, less parking, more trucks are needed for more stores. It does not seem financially or even environmentally more effective!
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
4th February 2014 at 12:44PM
Yeah definitely! I'm sure they are wrong about the litter, like i said Mcdonalds were made to sort out their litter that went beyond their property. So i don't see why Asda aren't responsible for their litter!

On the taxis i think a call to their own firms (lynx, blueline, metro, etc) would be a better option. and if you can get some neighbours to do the same, i'm sure they will speak to their drivers about it, if nothing else to stop the complaints!

You are right about marple coping and in fact not wanting a supermarket (although thats only because they come here), i'm sure that if you asked most grovers if they want supermarkets here, they would all say they wouldn't. But i guarantee they all use them!

Thats the problem, like i said if people stopped using the supermarkets they would get closed. Most large companies would consider anything less than a large turnover/profit from such sites as not worth keeping open.
Nobody will stop using them though, because despite not wanting them there, they do want their low prices and convenience!
Damien
Villager

Damien
4th February 2014 at 1:22PM
Coleman Wrote:

Thats the problem, like i said if people stopped using the supermarkets they would get closed. Most large companies would consider anything less than a large turnover/profit from such sites as not worth keeping open.
Nobody will stop using them though, because despite not wanting them there, they do want their low prices and convenience!

AKA Nimbyism!

Though I agree with Coleman, the taxi drivers problem is the taxi firms problem not Asda's.

And similarly with McDonald's, I think people miss-associate the blame. It is the customers fault, they are the ones chucking it out of the window, when McDonald's provide plenty of bins. More pressure should be directed to these selfish idiots as there is only so much that McDonald's can actually do!

How many of you complain to Benson and Hedges about the cigarette butts all over the place. Or to wriggly's for the chewing gum embedded into the pavements?
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
4th February 2014 at 2:43PM
Thats what i'm saying about the taxis, speak to the taxi firms about them not asda!

I get what your saying about litter, but Mcdonalds were made to send people out to pick up erant litter, now yeah granted its the customers that dropped it not the company, but it is to a certain extent a social responsibility of the companies in question to either make their customers bin it properly or to deal with it themselves!

Look at it this way, before there wasn't a problem, then they came along and their customer that they brought to the area started dropping rubbish created by asda/Mcdonalds. It does put a limited amount of responsibility on them!
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
4th February 2014 at 4:51PM
serenity see if yo can get the plate no's of the taxi's and report them to the council, theyre supposed to come down hard on these things.
saying that theyre supposed to enforce that when a taxi takes its vehicle test the cars supposed to have the plates properly secured to the car, i cant believe how many people are putting cable ties or shoving them in the windows!, i even saw a lynx car in sainsburys the other day with no plate anywhere to be seen on the front lol
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
5th February 2014 at 2:49PM, Edit: 5th February 2014 at 2:57PM by Serenity
glenandem Wrote:

serenity see if yo can get the plate no's of the taxi's and report them to the council, theyre supposed to come down hard on these things.
saying that theyre supposed to enforce that when a taxi takes its vehicle test the cars supposed to have the plates properly secured to the car, i cant believe how many people are putting cable ties or shoving them in the windows!, i even saw a lynx car in sainsburys the other day with no plate anywhere to be seen on the front lol

Hi Glenandem - I did make a note of the taxi drivers plates and reported them to the taxi firm as well as to ASDA - Neither seemed that bothered - The taxi firm said that they will ask their drivers to stop doing it and ASDA said that there meant to be putting up security cameras - Not sure how that will help though - anyway probably next stop will be to mention it to the council. Buts thanks for your advise Glenandem - much appreciated.

Coleman I didn't expect you to get into a debate about Sainsbury's - I was merely sighting it as an example of bad planning without to much thought really given to the long-term consequences - Now we find that years later Marple are agreeing that it was a huge mistake and one that they don't want repeated in their area.

I was making the point as I feel that this road will also end up just the same - one big expensive mistake - Merely my opinion though. But it was my opinion all those years ago and now Mr Stunnell is agreeing with me (well not personally) - superstores are not the answer and expensive useless road schemes that promise one thing and deliver something else aren't the answer as well. But time once again will only tell - I hope I am not right again though.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Tagged With..

More about SEMMMS / Hazel Grove & Poynton Bypass / A555 MAELR

Main

Places

Opinions

Create