12 Supporters 11 Opposers

Airport relief rd update?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Paulsum
Villager

Paulsum
Re: Airport relief rd update?
2nd December 2013 at 11:01PM
Saddo? Interesting terminology and use of the English language "Hellon". I would love the opportunity to engage into an intellectual debate with you regarding the A555. Whoever put up the signs at least they were making an effort. Fly posting is unacceptable but most people can't even be bothered completing the planning application comments form. We are approaching the end of the consultation period for this ridiculous destructive road scheme and only a handful of residents have commented. The proposed scheme is already ruining lives. An unwanted unnecessary road scheme with SMBC as judge jury and executioner, Carillon appointed to build it. The same company that has a controlling share in airport city. Lost greenbelt, ancient woodland wiped off the map.
This whole disgusting rotten filthy scheme stinks. That's a fact Hellon.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
3rd February 2014 at 10:39AM

Treasury minister Danny Alexander backs second relief road from Hazel Grove to Bredbury
   30 Jan 2014 17:07       

A proposed second phase would link the M60 with the £290m SEMMMS

Treasury minister Danny Alexander has thrown his weight behind plans for a second phase of the airport relief road to run through Stockport.

The senior Liberal Democrat, who is chief secretary to the Treasury, said there was a ‘very good case’ for a second phase of the SEMMMS link to Manchester Airport.

Work on the first phase of the £290m relief road - connecting Hazel Grove with the airport - is likely to start later this year.

The plans have been passed by Stockport Council but Manchester and East Cheshire councils are yet to vote.

There are now plans for a second phase of the road to connect the M60 at Bredbury with Hazel Grove.

During a visit to Hazel Grove with Lib Dem Parliamentary candidate Lisa Smart and Sir Andrew Stunell MP, Mr Alexander said: “I’m delighted as a Liberal Democrat member of the coalition to have been in the position to have approved the funding of the first phase of the link.

“We did that because it has such huge economic benefit, not just for this constituency but for the wider economy.

The proposed route of the relief road which would link the A6 in Hazel Grove to the existing A555 The proposed route of the relief road which would link the A6 in Hazel Grove to the existing A555

“Greater Manchester is an area that has huge potential to drive our economy forward. I will certainly go back to the Treasury with a much better understanding of they this is important to the area. I think there is a very good case for this project.”

The Treasury minister encouraged business and local authority leaders on the region’s Local Enterprise Partnership to bid for cash from the government to support phase two.

Hazel Grove MP, Sir Andrew Stunell, added: “I’ve been campaigning for a bypass for over 25 years and so now it’s time to push hard for the second phase through to Bredbury.

“Only then can we say goodbye to our traffic problems, and start to renew Hazel Grove as a shopping destination.”
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
3rd February 2014 at 11:18AM

“Only then can we say goodbye to our traffic problems, and start to renew Hazel Grove as a shopping destination.”

yeah right, no one will use the a6 anymore to get to stockport or manchester!!, theyre absolutely dreaming and dont see the real world situation that it will bring more traffic into the grove and around the grove, official figures show you that!
if they knew we needed the bredbury section too which will be even more desperately needed after this brings more traffic and congestion why didnt they do the whole road? because it will cost too much and will never happen but in the mean time our crafty councils have managed to have turn some green belt into building land and will make some money out of it!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd February 2014 at 4:02PM, Edit: 3rd February 2014 at 4:04PM by Serenity
Too little too late –
I remember not so long ago Andrew Stunnell campaigning to stop ASDA from opening in Marple sighting the extra traffic and untold destruction of a local shopping community as the main reasons.

Now he’s here again trying to convince us that a bypass is the only answer to the Grove’s traffic problem – Well when and if this elusive bypass finally gets built I'm not so sure that it will make much difference to the Grove, as most of the traffic is from shoppers outside the Grove such as Andrews Marple residents using the stores they never wanted.

Years ago all the Grove had to offer was a few small stores supporting a local community – now we have larger more popular stores but their not only supporting the grove there supporting other areas as well and that’s the problem – which is why an ASDA in Marple would have helped the Grove a bit.

It’s fine to say in their LD News extra leaflet that they are looking for ways to push the bypass through - but that might not happen for years yet (if ever)- what about the problem now Andrew - why is there no-one campaigning for ways to help reduce the Groves traffic NOW - not in the future.

It’s sad to say Andrew but where you were photographed in your leaflet is nearly the same spot on the A6 were there was a bad accident on Sunday. We need action now Andrew – not in the future.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Damien
Villager

Damien
3rd February 2014 at 4:38PM
glenandem Wrote:

yeah right, no one will use the a6 anymore to get to stockport or manchester!!, theyre absolutely dreaming and dont see the real world situation that it will bring more traffic into the grove and around the grove, official figures show you that!
if they knew we needed the bredbury section too which will be even more desperately needed after this brings more traffic and congestion why didnt they do the whole road? because it will cost too much and will never happen but in the mean time our crafty councils have managed to have turn some green belt into building land and will make some money out of it!

I thought you were in favour of a complete bypass? And only objected to the relief road because it stopped in Hazel Grove? Are you now against it completely, even if we get the extension to Bredbury?
Paulsum
Villager

Paulsum
3rd February 2014 at 6:27PM
I'm sure after all these years of pontificating at great expense to the taxpayer we are all getting sick and tired of the proposed A555 Woodford Garden Village Manchester Airport City road. That what this is all about TYE DEVELOPMENT OF GREENBELT IN A RURAL AREA. There are some councillors who speak sense when they say that all the "relief" road will do is shift traffic from one side of Stockport to another. The fact is that the A6 simply cannot cope with additional volumes of traffic resulting in complete gridlock. SMBC's only mitigation measures are to implement lower speed limits. Hello!!!! The traffic crawls along right now!!
As for Phase 2. The route would have to overcome massive geological issues and flood planes. Put simply Phase 2 would cost billions and would be the single most expensive road every constructed in the UK so it ain't gonna happen!!!!
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
3rd February 2014 at 7:49PM
Damien, im all for it if it went to bredbury m60 as i really do think that could shift traffic but what we wanted and what we're about to get is a bodge job thats had junction layout plans changed over the years not because it will help traffic or congestion but will be cheaper to build and that way theyve reduced costs to get half of it pushed through and in turn it will open up a lot of land that will be built on.
paulsum you are totally right about the bredbury section, i think the last figure i saw was something silly like 7-800 million to do as theyve got to go underground and build a massive tunnel somewhere near otterspool i think?, now if this section has finally been cut down and squeezed to be as cheap as possible for £270million then that will never go ahead no matter what any councilour tells you, i would bet my left testicle on it lol!
look at the people complaining about the fiveways jct and the main most important section where everything starts and ends on simpsons bend, theyre was a roundabout planned years ago and now becuase of costs with the railway line being close or something like that its easier to just run it into the field and put a t junction there with left and right being the already busy a6!
dont forget folks theres still time to put in your objection online and it looks like theres alot more people against it than want it!
Paulsum
Villager

Paulsum
3rd February 2014 at 8:05PM
At the recent SMBC planning meetings we were informed that there is "overwhelming support for the A555 relief".
Utter rubbish. There were over a hundred objections and only 5 letters of support. SMBC continue with their smoke and mirrors approach to planning consultation for a road that will cost us all millions in the name of "an overwhelming economic benefit.
What utter rubbish.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
4th February 2014 at 6:30AM
It seems to me that there not much joined up thinking going on anymore, perhaps there never was. Why can’t the powers to be work out that – more stores = more cars = more traffic = more congestion and so on. You don’t need lots of consultations to work it out its obvious.

I used to believe that OUR local councils made decisions that were designed to benefit the local communities which they serve, but when you think back to the decision to open a Sainsbury’s superstore in the Grove you’ve got to ask yourself who on earth thought that a store that size would benefit the Grove. How could they have got it so wrong with all their planning expertise – why on earth could they not have seen that hundreds of more cars joining an already busy road would equal chaos and eventually assist in destroying the local area and not improving it? On paper it might have all seemed very grand and posh a brand new building surrounded by trees but the harsh reality was and is simply more traffic.

I’m finding it very difficult these days to not believe that everything’s not just simply industry driven and that the local community’s feelings are just mere flimsy notions to be trampled on by the large greedy chain stores wishing to expand, gobbling up all the green belt as they go. But thinking that as long as we stick a few iron sculptures here there and everywhere everything will be ok.

Like I’ve said so many times before how can you believe anyone that fights so hard to have these stores put into the Grove but then turns coats and fights equally as hard to keep the same stores from opening up in their village. It’s just not fair.

Perhaps in time the same thing will happen again with this new road and it too will become yet another huge mistake (like Sainsbury’s) – added to the very long list of lessons to be learnt from. But by then it will be too late and the damage will have been done.....
Paulsum
Villager

Paulsum
4th February 2014 at 8:45AM
Serenity, like many others on this forum you speak so much sense. If only our councillors did the same. The obscenely monsterous Sainsburys store forced the CoOp to close its doors within months. The CoOp had stood on that site for over one hundred years being rebuilt in the eighties into a modern store. So what happens then....Asda opens it's doors bringing even more traffic to the local roads. They promised to improve the A6 to "such a standard that implemented mitigation would address any additional volumes of traffic" quote. Rubbish. I regularly get cought up at the Sainsburys turnoff snarled up in a queue of traffic filtering to the store.
ALL SMBC WANT TO DO IS DEVELOPE LAND IN THE NAME OF "OVERWHELMING ECONOMIC BENEFIT". This statement allows them to build on greenbelt and distroy ancient woodland. Greed, power, authority, they have it all. To them we are only the facilitators in all this. WE FUND THE ROAD!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Tagged With..

More about SEMMMS / Hazel Grove & Poynton Bypass / A555 MAELR

Main

Places

Opinions

Create