12 Supporters 11 Opposers

A time to look at the facts

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

HG-21
Banned
Re: A time to look at the facts
22nd February 2013 at 10:12PM
Hjohnnycash Wrote:

I sincerely hope Labour get back in as they seem to invest in schools and not waste money on things that will be detrimental to the tax payer and the environment.

Good Jesus.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
iancook
Villager

iancook
the report...the facts on air quality
23rd February 2013 at 2:02PM
Couple of comments earlier...that i've gone quiet....no i've been working away and are about to go off again so i'll let you know now i wont be back for a while....

But dont worry, the report prepared to respond to SEMMMS really says it all and is being delivered to the people that make the decisions and not the people who just comment and wind others up.
just to make things easier the following are extracts from the report, written by better qualified people in that field than you and me

i quote
Air pollution is a serious problem in the UK, and reduces life expectancy by an average of seven to eight months, with equivalent annual health costs estimated to be up to £20 billion a year44. Road transport is a major source of air pollution, and is estimated to be responsible for £5 - £11 billion per annum of the wider costs of transport in urban areas45.
The European Commission has declared 2013 as the year of air, with new proposals on improving air quality across Europe to be developed this year. The EC cites a dramatic rise in traffic on roads as one of the key contributors to air pollution, which is cited as the main cause of lung conditions such as asthma, with twice as many sufferers today compared to 30 years ago, and as the cause of over 350,000 premature deaths in the EU every year46. Children are particularly at risk, with epidemiological studies for the World Health Organisation showing that symptoms of bronchitis in asthmatic children increase in association with long-term exposure to NO2.47

The 2008 Directive was transposed into English law through the Air Quality Standards Regulations 201049 and the Government’s National Air Quality Strategy50. Under the Environment Act 1995 Part 4, local authorities are also required to review air quality in their area and introduce Air Quality Management Areas (AQMAs) in locations where air quality objectives are not met and to set out measures to reduce concentrations of air pollutants51. An AQMA has been declared for Greater Manchester, parts of which overlap with the A6-MARR scheme. Twelve AQMAs have been declared in Cheshire East including in Disley, to the south east of the A6-MARR. Comment on the implications of the scheme on these AQMAs is contained in the next section.

The Greater Manchester Local Transport Plan 3 (LTP3) acknowledges that the 2010 requirements for NO2 concentrations have not been met, but does not set out how transport planning decisions will enable the 2015 deadline to be met53. Despite the focus on meeting EU limits on NO2, the Greater Manchester Air Quality Strategy and Action Plan54 ‘made very little difference’ (LTP3 section 9.3) to NO2 concentration at most road side locations. Greater Manchester is not due to meet legal NO2 limits until 2020, which puts the UK, and in turn Greater Manchester authorities, at risk of large fines of up to £300 million55. The LTP3 acknowledges that ‘financial penalties may have a significant impact on future budgets’ yet nowhere in the Business Case is this financial and legal risk taken into account.

Appendix M includes an assessment of the air quality impacts on residential areas. This shows the scheme would have adverse impacts in Woodhouse Park and Wythenshawe which are in close proximity to Manchester Airport, Cheadle Hulme, areas to the south of Hazel Grove and Bramhall close to the scheme, and along the A6 route through High Lane and Disley.

The scheme will cause extra traffic at locations in air quality management areas already exceeding EU limits on NO2.The analysis of traffic impacts in Appendix B shows the most significant increases in flow are on the A6 Buxton Road south of its junction with SEMMMS, the A555 Manchester Airport Eastern Link Road, the M56 South of Junction 5 and the M56 Spur, and the A34 Handforth/Wilmslow Bypass to the M60.

The Greater Manchester AQMA covers sites that will be impacted by the proposed road, including near Macclesfield Road and Buxton Road at Hazel Grove, A34/A555, B5359/ A555 western end, and the Wythenshawe/M56 and Wythenshawe/Brownley Road.

High levels of NO2 which exceed legal EU limits are regularly recorded in the Greater Manchester AQMA. For example, according to recent figures on the local air quality website, high levels of NO2 were recorded at both the Manchester South and Hazel Grove monitoring stations during January 2013: 66 mg/m3 NO2 on 11/01/2013 at Styal Road, Manchester South, near Manchester Airport, and 66mg/m3 NO2 at Hazel Grove on 09/01/201358.

There are twelve AQMAs in Cheshire East, with traffic accounting for the main source of pollutant emissions across the local authority area59. This includes an AQMA at the A6 Market Street, Disley, an area along the A6 at Disley from the crossroads with Buxton Old Road in the west to the junction with Redhouse Lane in the east. All twelve AQMAs have been declared for breaches of the annual mean objective for NO2. The AQMA along the A6 Market Street in Disley was also declared for exceedances of the hourly mean objective for NO2. Diffusion tube monitoring in Disley for 2012 shows exceedances of annual mean air quality limits for NO260. The traffic modelling for the A6-MARR shows an expected increase in traffic in Disley and an adverse impact on air quality from the
SEMMMS A6-Manchester Airport Relief Road: Critiques commissioned by NW TAR & CfBT, Jan 2013
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
23rd February 2013 at 3:35PM
see the signs near the spped camera in hazel grove was ripped out yesterday,seemed to be about 7 workmen there, wonder how much all this has cost the council in this time of trying to save money and cutting back?
can cllr hogg find out the cost of this,i know he will read this post so hopefully he can chase up the costs of these signs put up everywhere?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
23rd February 2013 at 6:04PM
glenandem Wrote:

see the signs near the spped camera in hazel grove was ripped out yesterday,seemed to be about 7 workmen there, wonder how much all this has cost the council in this time of trying to save money and cutting back?
can cllr hogg find out the cost of this,i know he will read this post so hopefully he can chase up the costs of these signs put up everywhere?

Lets be fair though.

If they hadn't put them up in the first place the 'anti-road' brigade would be up in arms that the general populus wasn't aware they could register their views.

They cannot win either way...
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
23rd February 2013 at 8:09PM
Fair or not, I'm asking how much they cost?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
23rd February 2013 at 8:24PM
glenandem Wrote:

Fair or not, I'm asking how much they cost?

Fair enough.

So how would your point of view differ if they were free, sensible money or millions?
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
23rd February 2013 at 10:13PM
Hi Norma they don't affect my view that I already think the scheme is a big white elephant that has had far too much money spent on it to keep getting knocked back and when we're about to see our c tax rise when services are being cut back I'd like to know what sort of money is being spent on things like all these signs when personally I think the money could have been spent better sorting things like potholes on rds we already have rather than asking for opinions on a rd that always gets put off!
This council has wasted far too much money on silly things and I was reading about more staff being cut back at the town hall, why don't we hear that we are gonna axe one cllr from each area instead surely we don't need 3 per ward do we?
Anyway that's something else and I don't want to start going on about that, I'm just interested in the price of all the signs to be made and put up around Stockport for the bypass?
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
28th February 2013 at 8:03PM
seen this comment on stockport express website from sheila oliver (the nutter) apparantly to some people on here but she says 80,000 leafleted only 9% responded and only 6% were in favour.
if them stats are true then its pretty poor and a waste of money to get that sort of response, now im only stating what she said and im sure somone in the know can confirm these stats shes stating but it does worry me if thats true readings that the council would waste so much money advertising for oppinions and to me the survey wasnt very true as it didnt actually give you a yes no vote?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
28th February 2013 at 10:15PM
Sheila Oliver is only happy when she is moaning about something.

Infact, she is genuinely the only person that could make Gok Wan look like he isn't the most annoying person in the World.

[Martin Luther King] I HAVE A DREAM [/Martin Luther King]
Why not get Sheila Oliver to open the relief road? She could stand in front of everyone on a pedestal and be presented with a reef which a local celebrity could place over her head then she could pull a rope to open a giant curtain to reveal the relief road?

Here's the smart bit; the rope would actually release the gallows trapdoor that she is stood upon and the reef would have a high tensile steel line attached to the back of it so it acts as a noose!   

glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
28th February 2013 at 11:17PM
Ok but is her stat true or not?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>