Stockport as we can.
Food donations 487 3370 or email foodbank@hgbc.org.uk."
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
Re: Food for those in need.
14th September 2012 at 6:55PM
I went to the opening day for this, it's a brilliant idea and some of the people I support have already benefitted from their help.

The Church does amazing stuff for the community
14th September 2012 at 8:05PM, Edit: 14th September 2012 at 8:07PM by Blue_Grovers_Henchman
JoJo Wrote:

The Church does amazing stuff for the community

...and could do a lot more “for the local community”, if it liquidated some of the billions of assets its sitting on!

Yes ok, that might not literally mean HGBP, but “The Church” in the generic sense, could perhaps be accused of being a touch hypocritical when those in the “local community” go wanting, when they (Church Of England for example) sit on assets in excess of £5 billion!

You can buy a lot of food for hungry people with £5 billion.
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
14th September 2012 at 10:18PM
Adora Wrote:

Hazel Grove Food Bank

"Young and old alike need help as emergency crises and poverty are no
respecter of age or circumstance. We recognise that many are
embarrassed to ask for help from Foodbanks, but with the help of our
local community to donate food and time, we’ll aim to help as many in
Stockport as we can.
Food donations 487 3370 or email foodbank@hgbc.org.uk."
not heard anything about this Adora. Can you shed anymore light on the subject?
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
14th September 2012 at 11:07PM
Only what's written in the article - click on the blue link at the beginning of my first post that says Hazel Grove Food Bank - it will take you to the full story.

BGH - I hear you but...shall we all just not bother then? The churches around HG do loads for the wider community via a big but diminishing band of volunteers. The churches provided the hubs from which these volunteers are able to come together to help so many others. I understand the sentiment of your post but I think it's unfair to rubbish the real work that these people do.
15th September 2012 at 6:25AM
Adora Wrote:

BGH - I hear you but...shall we all just not bother then? The churches around HG do loads for the wider community via a big but diminishing band of volunteers. The churches provided the hubs from which these volunteers are able to come together to help so many others. I understand the sentiment of your post but I think it's unfair to rubbish the real work that these people do.

Adora, let me be clear. I’m not rubbishing the work that good people in the local community do in support of less fortunate people (there does not need to be a religious link for people to help others). But it sits uncomfortably with me, for “The Church” to be given praise, when “it” could do so very much more.

My disdain is borne from the hypocrisy of “The Church” preaching giving, yet “it” would do well to take a leaf out of its own book.
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
15th September 2012 at 2:29PM
This foodbank has been going for some time and is part of the nationwide Trussell Trust network.
Not all are run from Church halls but all are maned by volunteers, if you want to find out more give em a Google.
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
15th September 2012 at 9:53PM
When I said 'The Church' I specifically meant Hazel Grove Baptist Church as they do a great deal for many people.

I am not going to get into a discussion on religion in general, nor the financial situation of Churches as that is not beneficial to this thread, I just wanted to clarify my earlier post
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
15th September 2012 at 11:14PM
JoJo Wrote:

When I said 'The Church' I specifically meant Hazel Grove Baptist Church as they do a great deal for many people.

I am not going to get into a discussion on religion in general, nor the financial situation of Churches as that is not beneficial to this thread, I just wanted to clarify my earlier post
-- Fair comment jo jo. my personal opinion is im not in favour of any form of bible bashing on the forum, but, thats just my opinion. The opening thread by Adora I couldnt understand,, just appeared to me as a quote. I stand by to be corrected.
Andyb
Idler

Andyb
16th September 2012 at 6:31PM
Anyone reading this who finds themselves in need of assistance, or if you know someone who may benefit from the support of a foodbank can find out more information here:

http://hazelgrove.foodbank.org.uk/