0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Any Old Iron

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

davyp
Villager

davyp
Any Old Iron
13th March 2012 at 2:14PM
Apologies if there is already a thread lurking among the 65 + pages of threads...
Anyone else a little concerned about the number of tatty vans going round collecting 'unwanted' metal - seen six different vehicles go up our road today, and some went by twice! They go slowly, stare at the houses and the people, especially the young and female and generally get in the way. Yesterday two of them were vying for position, side by side in places. Are they regulated, licenced, checked at all? Do the local bobbies keep an eye on them? Are gulley covers (grids) scrap metal? I would like to know what others think. Thanks in advance for any responses.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Any Old Iron
13th March 2012 at 2:26PM
They can be a nuisance or worse at times, i think more then a few are travellers and can be come quite aggressive towards people.

I don't think there is any regulation in the industry as such, certainly not for people driving around begging (which they effectively are) for scrap!

Only advice i could give is keep your eyes on them and avoid contact wherever possible.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
13th March 2012 at 4:25PM
Thieving barstewards come to mind!!

A few months back a kind gentleman walked down our drive and helped themselves to a radiator and copper that was attached to it. I ran out as they were getting into their van and shouted that they put it back. Guy got out and flung the radiator onto the end of the drive. On closer inspection, the copper had gone.

As I said, thieving barstewards.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
13th March 2012 at 4:38PM
We have had the odd one turn up at work who was entirely polite in asking for any scrap and completely friendly when told we weigh it in!

They are however a minority, most (and usually it's the ones with Irish accents) can get give abusive if you tell them no!
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
13th March 2012 at 5:01PM
I got a number last year from someone on the Poynton forum..He came within yhe hour to take a range cooker away! and last week I called him again as I had emptied my shed! He is very nice and has got all the required registration to collect scrap metal..
He will take anything including old white goods and TV's also old cables Etc....
yetty
Villager

yetty
13th March 2012 at 7:51PM
yes I was thinking the same about all these scrap vans,I notice there are no addresses or landline phone numbers on them,so no way of checking where they operate from.They are always looking up drives and in gardens.When I hear them coming I make sure everything is out of sight and locked up.
davyp Wrote:

Apologies if there is already a thread lurking among the 65 + pages of threads...
Anyone else a little concerned about the number of tatty vans going round collecting 'unwanted' metal - seen six different vehicles go up our road today, and some went by twice! They go slowly, stare at the houses and the people, especially the young and female and generally get in the way. Yesterday two of them were vying for position, side by side in places. Are they regulated, licenced, checked at all? Do the local bobbies keep an eye on them? Are gulley covers (grids) scrap metal? I would like to know what others think. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Limecat
Banned
14th March 2012 at 12:46AM
What? Stop these lies. Pikies only hang around average/crap areas. You don't see them in Alderley Edge/Prestbury do you?

Why is that?

Now ask yourself 'Is Da Grove' as nice as you think it is?

Ya get me blud?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
14th March 2012 at 9:36AM
The problem is Limecat that these modern day rag n bone men do go to 'nice' areas. They will go wherever there's metal to be had/stolen.

The major problem is how do we regulate it/prevent metal theft?

More bobbies on the beat appears to me to be the only solution in coordination with neighbourhood watch schemes. A register of approved merchants could also be operated locally.
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
14th March 2012 at 10:17AM

I have to admit, I find them rather intimidating my self as well.

They look more like they're casing the area rather than collecting unwanted scrap metal.

When I see them, I am definitely glad I'm home.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
14th March 2012 at 11:28AM
To be honest those who behave in the correct manner, give signed letterheaded receipts with contact details and are leigt from a business perspective ought to be allowed to continue.

But yes those who are not adhering to common sense standards of behaviour or doing the above should be clamped down on. Obviously those who are committing metal theft must also be stopped.

You're right though, Gill some of them can be quite intimidating - especially for the elderly and infirm.

Part of..